Medtroinc 640g v omnipod v Roche insite

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm up for a review and hopefully a pump. I'm told the above 3 types are approved by our CCG, and to do some research.

Personally I quite like the omnipod, looks a neat easy to wear thing, but nurse favoured medtronic due to level of support.

What's the pros and cons between the 3 options?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didn't even know Medtronic was still manufacturing the 640G.
When my current warranty expires later this year, I have the option of another 640g or an omnipod, they're hardly old technology at this point o_O

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, I started using the 640G over 5 years ago and was upgraded to the 670G last year. I just presumed Medtronic no longer made the 640G.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you think of the 670?
The 670G on manual mode is basically the same as the 640G. I use it with the cgm on Automatic mode. It is good but can be frustrating at times, but I suppose that's the same with any pump.
I started using the insulin pump over 10 years ago and it was the only way for me to get a good Hba1c without lots of hypos. It's also great for exercise, though this, like anything else, involves trial and error.

Earlier this year a neighbour started on the Omnipod. He's still getting used to it but says his control is much better than it was.

Moodle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was given the same options and after lots and lots or research I am going for the Omnipod. I have had the 640g for 4 years now and has been a good pump (albeit being replaced 3 times) Its the tubeless that has sold it too me. Should be starting with it in the next two months :happy:

Fazzy

I use an Omnipod and have found it really helps with my diabetes management. No trouble with it when exercising or swimming and find it comfortable to wear. Setting up the device is straightforward and I like the control unit.

Richard F

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm liking the sound of the omnipod, seems to be neater and easier to wear.

Does the medtronic talk to the freestyle libre system? How does the automatic system work?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic 670G links to the Guardian 3 sensor. Basically, automatic mode means that if your blood sugar is rising, it gives more basal insulin. If it's falling towards a low, it stops the basal. It aims to give you an average BG of around 6.5. Using a temporary basal aims to keep it around 8.3.