Complications?

Tomw1694

Hi All,

My first post on here so just after some advice! I’ve been diabetic type 1 since 8 years old and now 26. I went through the usual teenage denial and not looking after myself from around 14 years old till 24 years old, highest A1C was 139 which made me hit a turning point! In the last 12-18 months I’ve managed to get a grip on my BG levels and reduced A1C to 69 4 months back and the next one should be even lower (actually looking forward to getting the result)

Reason for my post is that 3 years back I had a letter saying I had background retinopathy and went to a hospital ophthalmologist who advised in the appointment he couldn’t see any issues? After my screening in January I’ve been referred again to the hospital eye outpatients (April appointment rolled to October due to COVID!) but not received a letter stating what stage retinopathy it is and really Worrying. I have no floaters/bleeds just poor vision without the use of glassses (no very crisp/clear)

secondly the soles of my feet/ Ankles/ back of lower calves ache all day, no worse between exercising or resting No worse at night just remains the same all day. I have no numbness/pain just a dull ache, is this neuropathy?

my partner/family are saying I’m getting myself worked up as-well as stressed/anxious about constantly googling these things

sorry to drag on guys! Hopefully regaining control can help in the long run and hope it’s not too late

Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

My first post on here so just after some advice! I’ve been diabetic type 1 since 8 years old and now 26. I went through the usual teenage denial and not looking after myself from around 14 years old till 24 years old, highest A1C was 139 which made me hit a turning point! In the last 12-18 months I’ve managed to get a grip on my BG levels and reduced A1C to 69 4 months back and the next one should be even lower (actually looking forward to getting the result)

Reason for my post is that 3 years back I had a letter saying I had background retinopathy and went to a hospital ophthalmologist who advised in the appointment he couldn’t see any issues? After my screening in January I’ve been referred again to the hospital eye outpatients (April appointment rolled to October due to COVID!) but not received a letter stating what stage retinopathy it is and really Worrying. I have no floaters/bleeds just poor vision without the use of glassses (no very crisp/clear)

secondly the soles of my feet/ Ankles/ back of lower calves ache all day, no worse between exercising or resting No worse at night just remains the same all day. I have no numbness/pain just a dull ache, is this neuropathy?

my partner/family are saying I’m getting myself worked up as-well as stressed/anxious about constantly googling these things

sorry to drag on guys! Hopefully regaining control can help in the long run and hope it’s not too late

Thanks

Hi there Tom - The Covid delays with what seems to be everything are vert frustrating, for sure.

Relating to your screening, your GP will have received a letter too, but in this instance, it will be different to yours. They receive a little more information, grading the findings. You could ask your GP for a copy of that letter, or if you have online access to your medical records, you could have a look at it.

Of course, the detail in the GP letter will likely lead to your having further questions, but at least you would have a bit more to go on.

Your calf pain could be a number of things. Does it apply to both legs, to the same degree, or is one different to the other?

Tomw1694

Hi there, thanks for the response - I’ll ask the GP for a copy of the letter regarding the eye screening. Secondly regarding the calf/sole of foot pain, it is present in both legs and feet, majority of the ache is around both soles of the heel area around the outside

thanks