Eating too much meat can lead to diabetes?

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
No wonder people are confused. I just found this website by a medical group in Australia (link at the bottom). I guess this is what everyone is talking about when they are given advice for how to manage their diabetes...

It seems to be the opposite of everything I have learned since frequenting this site and reading about the low carb world.

"Eating too much meat can lead to serious consequences from increasing the risk of diabetes to heart disease and even cancer."

" Some studies reveal that eating too much red meat can increase the chances of developing bowel cancer. Try to eat red meat only in conservative amounts (100-200 g just twice a week) with lots of vegetables or grains. Try to avoid eating liver and kidneys."

"If you feel hungry all the time even though you’ve just finished a meal, it can mean that you’ve been having too much protein. When you don’t have enough carbs, your body’s blood sugar goes down, and you don’t produce mood-regulating serotonin, the chemical that makes you feel hungry.
Tip: If you realize that you always feel hungry, try to snack on Greek yogurt with berries or hummus with wholegrain crackers instead of a sandwich for lunch. Try to cut out meat for several days, and see if you feel better and fresher."

"If you experience high blood pressure, this can be a sign that it’s time to cut back on meat."

"When your body doesn’t digest meat properly, you might get sick more often than usual. Your immune system can be affected because of the natural sugar (called Neu5Gc) found in red meat, and it is very hard for our bodies to digest. This sugar is normally produced by carnivorous animals and allows them to sustain their meat diets. Our bodies do not produce it, and that’s why we treat it as a foreign substance, which sets off a toxic immune reaction. This reaction can cause a lot of other problems, with cancer being the most serious." Comes from this study I assume: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161019160201.htm

Here is the original website I pulled this from https://www.geelongmedicalgroup.com...our-body-might-not-be-properly-digesting-meat

What do you make of it meat lovers and carnivores? And how about the vegetarians and vegans?

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
seems to be based on mice model studies where genetically altered mice were subjected to synthesised Neu5gc and grew tumors. The researchers note that it was extremely difficult to induce this state, and it needed the addition of other toxins to trigger the antibody reactions. They do state that although the mice were human like, they could not confirm that the same reactions occur in humans. The other thing the researchers say is that it takes an awful lot of the sugar over a prolonged time to produce the antibodies.

I found the research paper to be over the top in terms of complexity of language, and it heavily peppered with technocratic language as if they are making a point by blinding in science, This is normally sign of a poor thesis by someone out to impress. It is almost unreadable by the general public, but I link it here
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6803385/

I have to wonder how come, after all the evolution of humans eating these most basic of foodstuffs, that we appear to have developed this mutation that makes the food so hostile to mankind. Mankind is full of mutations, but none that extends to a full 100% of the populace. That is where my credulity starts to waver.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To add: it seems the research has come originally from work being done to improve organ transplants using animal donors. In this there will be interest in antibodies being generated so not surprising there, I have a suspicion that others have jumped onto this bandwagon and are interpreting those findings to explain away dietary interventions and trying to use it as proof that this is the main cause of human cancer. This paper I linked explains that the uptake of Neu5gc in humans from eating animals is 'trace' amounts, i.e. it is not something we suffer greatly from, but may explain the occasional adverse event. It would also appear that the toxin they needed to add to activate an adverse event in the mice was a virus, and I think we have seen this also being explained as a possible trigger for diabetes. So it may be the virus that is the causitive and not the sugar after all.

The Uni at Geelong is using this information
https://brightside.me/inspiration-h...-might-not-be-properly-digesting-meat-437510/
Frankly it seems to be pretty rubbish.

Reactions: Rustytypin

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No wonder people are confused. I just found this website by a medical group in Australia (link at the bottom). I guess this is what everyone is talking about when they are given advice for how to manage their diabetes...

It seems to be the opposite of everything I have learned since frequenting this site and reading about the low carb world.

"Eating too much meat can lead to serious consequences from increasing the risk of diabetes to heart disease and even cancer."

" Some studies reveal that eating too much red meat can increase the chances of developing bowel cancer. Try to eat red meat only in conservative amounts (100-200 g just twice a week) with lots of vegetables or grains. Try to avoid eating liver and kidneys."

"If you feel hungry all the time even though you’ve just finished a meal, it can mean that you’ve been having too much protein. When you don’t have enough carbs, your body’s blood sugar goes down, and you don’t produce mood-regulating serotonin, the chemical that makes you feel hungry.
Tip: If you realize that you always feel hungry, try to snack on Greek yogurt with berries or hummus with wholegrain crackers instead of a sandwich for lunch. Try to cut out meat for several days, and see if you feel better and fresher."

"If you experience high blood pressure, this can be a sign that it’s time to cut back on meat."

"When your body doesn’t digest meat properly, you might get sick more often than usual. Your immune system can be affected because of the natural sugar (called Neu5Gc) found in red meat, and it is very hard for our bodies to digest. This sugar is normally produced by carnivorous animals and allows them to sustain their meat diets. Our bodies do not produce it, and that’s why we treat it as a foreign substance, which sets off a toxic immune reaction. This reaction can cause a lot of other problems, with cancer being the most serious." Comes from this study I assume: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161019160201.htm

Here is the original website I pulled this from https://www.geelongmedicalgroup.com...our-body-might-not-be-properly-digesting-meat

What do you make of it meat lovers and carnivores? And how about the vegetarians and vegans?

Georgia Eades has plenty to say on this.

Reactions: urbanracer

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looking at the info posted by Geelong medical group mentioned in the OP it traced back to Brightside Medical which appears to be a standard GP led medical practice in Williamstown Victoria Au. But I looked further, and it seems that the story is actually from a Facebook posting being relayed onwards. It is one of those sponsored adscrolls used by local newspapers online and seems never ending. It does not seem to be a serious posting by the University or the Medical Group.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do I make of it, @Cocosilk? - A load of absolute blooming codswallop. And if as @Oldvatr says the studies were based on mice, I have no evidence that I'm in any shape or form related to the mouse population, so such research results will in no way be applicable to me.

Seriously though the human race has eaten red meat for thousands of years, and it hasn't killed us all off yet. And from personal experience: the meat my mother ate for over 90 years was beef and lamb and she never had any signs of either heart disease or cancer. I've eaten red meat for well over 75 years and I have no evidence that it's been implicated in triggering my diabetes - or anything else. It always has been and will remain an essential part of my LCHF diet.

Reactions: Cocosilk

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
What a load... and as usual, can't prove 'casual' for the simple reason it doesn't cause cancer or diabetes. It's just manipulative, deceitful rubbish masquerading as truth.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was vegetarian before diagnosis. Now that I eat meat, I feel better and BG better controlled..
Thank you for sharing that. My daughter and son went fully vegan last year, but then went pescatarian and now flexing it with me. Seems sensible. I eat more vegetables than I used to, they now eat meat. We can share meals again (and the cooking!) ...... (And the washing up)

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for sharing that. My daughter and son went fully vegan last year, but then went pescatarian and now flexing it with me. Seems sensible. I eat more vegetables than I used to, they now eat meat. We can share meals again (and the cooking!) ...... (And the washing up)

Yes so much easier if everyone eats the same thing. I feel sooooooo much better too! It’s amazing how the slow process of feeling under par often goes unnoticed. My youngest eats fewer carbs these days and her mood had improved.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meat, veg, complex carbs and all in moderation, not for everyone but it works for me well enough....

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes so much easier if everyone eats the same thing. I feel sooooooo much better too! It’s amazing how the slow process of feeling under par often goes unnoticed. My youngest eats fewer carbs these days and her mood had improved.
My grandson is almost zero carb he is still a moody so and so though.

Reactions: Flora123