Any developments about Dexcom on prescription?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Libre for the last couple of months and I'm completely fed up with it. I am, of course, incredibly grateful to have it on prescription and know how lucky we are to be able to have this technology. However, after using Dexcom for 2-3 years it just does not compare; for me, Libre is constantly inaccurate, always giving me error messages, always giving readings way higher or way lower than finger pricks and it is just generally causing me more stress than it's worth. I never had any of these issues when using Dexcom and it was virtually always spot on with its accuracy.

Does anyone know if there is any hope of it becoming available on prescription as an alternative to Libre? Are Dexcom even trying to get it through the NHS prescription process?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe that Abbott got to supply the NHS with FSL and that there has never been a choice for reasons of economy of scale. For most the fsl is a step change in quality of self management but I do know people who find the Dexcom is much better being a true CGM rather than flash monitoring device, especially those that use it to synch with their pump (Dexcom or Tandem IQ).
If I were rich this is what I'd like!
There is new tech though and I suppose those closed loop systems will eventually go through an approvals process via NICE and then out to the regional entities who set up a postcode lottery/rationing process if it is anything like what happened with FSL>

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Hi,
I think next year may see a change! Dexcom is working on the new G7 sensor, it’s a disposable unit like the Libre. They hope this will bring down the cost and hopefully that will enable it to be available in the NHS.
I have just started self funding the Dexcom G6, initially I was only doing the 30 day trial as I am starting a pump in October and wanted a clear view of my levels to help with setting up the pump.
Only been in it for 4 days but we are trying to work out a way if fitting it into our budget, it’s an amazing price if kit! See this link...
https://www.desang.net/2020/07/the-dex-factor-coming-in-2021-dexcoms-g7-cgm-sensor/

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using Libre for the last couple of months and I'm completely fed up with it. I am, of course, incredibly grateful to have it on prescription and know how lucky we are to be able to have this technology. However, after using Dexcom for 2-3 years it just does not compare; for me, Libre is constantly inaccurate, always giving me error messages, always giving readings way higher or way lower than finger pricks and it is just generally causing me more stress than it's worth. I never had any of these issues when using Dexcom and it was virtually always spot on with its accuracy.

Does anyone know if there is any hope of it becoming available on prescription as an alternative to Libre? Are Dexcom even trying to get it through the NHS prescription process?

Hi,

I'll be honest with you. If there hadn't been apps like Glimp of Xdrip developed that can be calibrated & the advent of Bluetooth bridges for the Libre.? I may have given up on it yonks back..
I woke up this morning, checked the libre score against my meter & it was only 0.1 out..

Certainly changes the game if you can get this tech to work for you..

Reactions: EllieM

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have Dexcom on prescription as after two years of using it, Libre was massively but not consistently inaccurate. I’d calibrate my MiaoMiao setup twice a day and it would drift by up to 3mmol in 12 hours. So as I still qualify for Libre, but it doesn’t work for me, I got upgraded. I think I was the second in my clinic to get it.

briansolar1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brexit
I live in Scotland and have used the Dexcom G6 for about 2 years and pay for it myself. I had used the Freestyle Libre but found it inaccurate for me and I had skin reactions to it.
I have recently written to my MSP about getting the G6 on the NHS and have heard initially that it is determined by local health boards to decide. I am waiting now to hear from them but will report back on progress..
Brian

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My Dexcom is provided by the nhs.. but it’s not a common thing for them to get issued to adults on cost grounds

The next 12 to 28 months should see the Dexcom g7 and the libre 3

The Dexcom being cheaper and the libre being more accurate both having icgm certification for dosing decisions

I would thing if the Dexcom and libre has a similar cost that Dexcom will work with the nhs to get it on prescription

Reactions: briansolar1