Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Grazer

Re: What are your H test results?

Hi Darren. By H results, I assume you mean HbA1c? This is one of the key tests and looks at your average blood sugars over 3 months (sort of anyway!) Without wanting to sound picky, this test is measured as a %, NOT in mmol so I wonder if you're getting mixed up? The mmol tests are the one-off blood sugar tests we can do on our meters. It's worth clarifying your results so you can compare properly with other tests in the future and see how you're getting on. My Hba!c was 8.2 when I was diagnosed, but fortuinately down to 5.9 when I was tested 4 months later.
Good luck!

moonstone

HbA1c is also measured in mmols but if yours was 7.1 you'd be dead as it's far too low for survival :) the blood sugar tests on our meters are measured in mmol/l and the HbA1c in mmol/mol. If you mean your HbA1c was 7.1% then you're bang on target. Check out the converters on this site. Mine was 9.3%, or 78 mmols/mol.

Grazer

Just in case we've reallly confused you now, :-
Our tests are mmol/l, your "instant" blood sugar
HbA1c teat, the "average" test, WAS a %, and still often referred to as that
NEW figures for HbA1c now in mmol/mol, just converted!
Confused?

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!

7.0% lowest so far. on dx I was 11.5. a year ago

Poodlelady

Dislikes
I dislike people who swear a lot, shout and are rude. I dislike people who tell me what I should and should not be doing when they haven't the first idea about Diabetes.

I am on steroids and had a steroid injection in my shoulder. My last blood test was 9 and suddenly my dr is very interested and helping me with my blood sugars and insulin doses. Before this I struggled on my own, getting nowhere with the nurses or any one. I am hoping with juggling my insulin I can get the figure down to a reasonable one.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!

Mine was 13.6 on diagnosis, then the lowest I got down to was 9.2. Last year i suffered a serious DKA (blood ph 6.71) and HBa1c of 13.2!!
Last 2 a1cs were 7.7 and 6.4 :D

Just to remind people that results are now going to be given in mmol/mol so an a1c of 6% for example will be 42. Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted about that.....

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol

PlymouthDave said:
7.2 and she seemed quite pleased with that so I take it that it is ok.

Yeah, mine was 7.9 and they said thats ok. :) Not dangerous but 5/6 is better.

Reactions: Prancy and add

RussG

Perhaps unusually I've been asked to bring my HbA1c up. It was 5.2%, I brought it up to 5.9% this month but am still getting lots of hypos so my consultant has asked me to try to get it up to 6.5% at least. Just goes to show we're all different!

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
RussG said:
Perhaps unusually I've been asked to bring my HbA1c up. It was 5.2%, I brought it up to 5.9% this month but am still getting lots of hypos so my consultant has asked me to try to get it up to 6.5% at least. Just goes to show we're all different!

A lot of doctors say different as well. Some say aim for your sugar level to be between 4-8 and some say 4-7. I know its only one but still, lol.

Reactions: NellH and add

steveinblackpool

I had my HbA1c test done monday and it was 7.8

Looking at the piece of card whick they gave me it has a traffic light system, which mine fell in the amber (try to improve)
The Red is 9 or higher which is poor.
6-7 is green... good which is probably possible but also they have in the green section 4-6 which they describe as excellent.

There is no way possible that i could live with such a low blood count. I wouldnt be able to drive if it was that low nor would i be safe driving a fork lift at work if my blood was that low. If my blood sugars were at 5 and 30 mins of hard work I would be going into hypo mode.

Looking at this chart..
I THINK; DOCTORS THINK ALL DIABETICS SIT AND WATCH TV ALL DAY!!!

tom79

my last one a couple of months ago was 7.5, thats my 1st HbA1c I have done. I hope the next is ok also but i had a bit of poor control after an incident, but its getting a bit better again now.

I am still on novamix, and im going to try and change that to get even better control and I hope more flexability

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I had a new test this afternoon which came out as 5.5 which is up on my last test which was 5.3 so I was a bit disappointed. The only explanation I can find for this is that I have "relaxed" my eating habits a bit and put on weight :thumbdown: This has given me new willpower to be more strict with myself and lose this weight. :clap: