Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Arthurk

Had nine years of my Hb being in the 5s. In 2010 it went up to 7.1. Had a 6 month check and it was down to 6.6. Last one, in November, was 6.1. Feel I am now back in the 5s as have had just 5 weeks with of my fasting BS being in the 4s and 5s (apart from a bad day last weekend). Quite pleased at getting back on track :)

Reactions: sejehh

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
Arthurk said:
Had nine years of my Hb being in the 5s. In 2010 it went up to 7.1. Had a 6 month check and it was down to 6.6. Last one, in November, was 6.1. Feel I am now back in the 5s as have had just 5 weeks with of my fasting BS being in the 4s and 5s (apart from a bad day last weekend). Quite pleased at getting back on track :)

Well done with getting back on train :) My HbA1c was 7.9 last time. Ive already posted this but the reason for it being 7.9 was I had a lot trouble with morning highs. Sometimes as much as 12/13. Now there never over a 10 which is a lot better.

Reactions: Tabzmcfc and justbe

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7.2... I know, it's bad. I've been a bit bad with my eating habits, relaxing them a bit too much at the weekends. Must try harder. ...

Reactions: justbe

Brava210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not Moaning
My latest was 7.4, which I am quite pleased with as I have had a lot of highs.
I am going to keep trying to get it lower though

Reactions: justbe
mine has only ever been below 10 whilst pregnant, usually 12-14, have been type 1 for 28 years and cant seem to get any control, no long term effects so cant be that bad!!!!!! :lol:

sugarprince

hi people,
first time i here so hello again. my hb tests recently have gone up to 10??? originally when i was diagnosed last year i managed to have it on 6!! and this was the time when i was loosing my eyesight had lossed all my weight( 20kg in 15 days) my muscles had started hanging had cramps in my legs all the time and started loosing my leg hair as well, but now that i have regained my eyesight, hair and muscle mass, my sugars have gone up?? any thoughts as to why this is happning? i will be honest though i do like a chocolate before going to bed. initially it was mars and snickers but now i have dropped down to chocks like flake malteser etc. :evil:

sugarprince

daisy1 said:
I had a new test this afternoon which came out as 5.5 which is up on my last test which was 5.3 so I was a bit disappointed. The only explanation I can find for this is that I have "relaxed" my eating habits a bit and put on weight :thumbdown: This has given me new willpower to be more strict with myself and lose this weight. :clap:

Daisy!!!!! please tell me your eating regime. if i could get 5.5 i would consider myself normal even if i had to inject myself 5 times a day. i would appreciate a reply
thanks in advance

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Sugarprince :)
I low carb, with a maximum of 50g carbs. I am T2 whereas you are T1. I don't have to inject - I take Metformin which rarely causes hypos so this level will probably not be at all advisable for an insulin user like you. I don't often eat chocolates though..... although I love Flakes as a special treat.
HTH.

weeezer

hi

i'm new to this forum, been T1 for 12 yrs now. this post sparked my interest as my hba1c has always been between 5-8 but my last one was 10.7! was v worried indeed as i had no idea my levels had been running that high.

how quickly does every1 think i can get this down? when should i ask for re-test? i think chrimbo excess was to blame :(

cheers, weezer x

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
HbA1c is a measure of you average blood sugar levels over the last 90-120 days. Its all down to how long blood cells survive in the body.

The majority of the score is thought to come from the last 30 days but some people say you should ignore the immediate last week so in that case the majority is one week ago to five weeks ago.

So theoretically if you get your average BS reading each day to say 6 then you should be well on the way to an hBA1c of below 6 within around 6 weeks I would guess but also remember the benefits of reducing your BG's to safe levels start on the day you begin to do it not in 90-120 days time!

Reactions: sejehh

weeezer

just thought i'd update as my last post said my last A1c was 10.7...i was in a bit of a tail spin seeing as in 12 years hadn't ever had one in double figs, turns out my gp who rang me with the results because they were so high, gave me the wrong figure!!! he just said my 'diabetic blood test results' were a tad on the high side at 10.7 and recommended i see the DSN. i just thought i'd had a bad christmas (hadn't tested a zillion times but did test, and had the odd high number, so was shocked as to where this 10.7 had come from)

anyhoo...i had a phonecall from the nurse at my practice who had some screening questions to ask me, including was i under a consultant (ha, she herself along with the practice's DSN had referred me back into the system after being out of it due to pregnancy, so had been under another clinic. anyway, this referral was early 2011 and was chased 6 months later after hearing nothing...still nothing). so i said i really wanted to be back under a clinic as my latest result was so high, she said it wasn't high at all...was 51 which converted to 6.8! (was is this 51...she said it was american!?)

my gp had read the 10.7 and told me this figure, didn't bother to tell me it was a fasting bg & didn't tell me the A1c result. as i hadn't ever been tested for a fasting bg before (why would i need to, i have a meter for that!) i didn't even consider it. the only reason i had a fasting blood test was for the cholesterol.

out of interest, my mum (t1 37 yrs) was told to have her last A1c first thing in morning, they told her this is to get the most accurate result?? anyone throw any light on this? may post on another topic for opinions. i had always thought A1c was, like xyzzy's last post said (v informative, ta) - over last 3 months with emphasis on last 30 days.

so my last hbA1c was 6.8 not 10.7, phewee.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All.
I attended my Diabetic Clinic yesterday was told my HbA1c [fasting test] results in were 7.1 % :clap:
Great news for me! down another 1% since the nov 2011 was 7.2% [see my signature]
The consultant was pleased with all my hard work and efforts too !!! :thumbup:
He said if? I continue with steady BG levels , BMI , weight etc...
He will discharge me in 6months time back to my GP care.
Am quite happy with this , as my GP's practice are FANTASTIC with me!
Clearly the victoza and hypurin porcine insulin is doing their job and best of all they AGREE with me... YAY !
I HAVE worked so hard to stick with things, food/eating plan and active lifestyle etc...
Focused hard and sensibly , its paid off with latest results, so am well chuffed with things.
Anna.x :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Well done Anna :clap:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Congratulations Anna. That's great news
d3556437.gif

Grazer

weeezer said:
out of interest, my mum (t1 37 yrs) was told to have her last A1c first thing in morning, they told her this is to get the most accurate result?? anyone throw any light on this? may post on another topic for opinions. i had always thought A1c was, like xyzzy's last post said (v informative, ta) - over last 3 months with emphasis on last 30 days.

Probably told this because like my "DSN" they didn't understand how A1c works. I was told I had to fast for my A1c. I argued the point, big discussion, Nurse saw the doc, they all consulted a book then came back and said, "you're right, you don't"

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
Just down to 6.4 and was told by DNS that I am trying to be too perfect after telling her I wanted to be in the 5s as 6-7 is spot on,she also told me that some non diabetics are 7+,must celebrate with a cream cake!!! :roll:

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
Recently had an HbA1c result of 5.8. This was from a Bayer A1cNow home selfcheck kit. I'm also waiting on a surgery result and it will be interesting to see how close the results will be. I'll post them on here.

Its pleasing to see a reduction for the last 4 results and it is back to how it was when first diagnosed in October 2009 at 5.8. I firmly believe the lower results throughout 2010 were as a result of some very regular exercise swimming and in the gym which largely ceased towards the end of the year and caused the spike in Jan 2011 of 6.6. Since then I have begun to be more active again and hence a steady fall. Diet pretty much remains the same.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
candyfloss said:
Recently had an HbA1c result of 5.8. This was from a Bayer A1cNow home selfcheck kit. I'm also waiting on a surgery result and it will be interesting to see how close the results will be. I'll post them on here.

Its pleasing to see a reduction for the last 4 results and it is back to how it was when first diagnosed in October 2009 at 5.8. I firmly believe the lower results throughout 2010 were as a result of some very regular exercise swimming and in the gym which largely ceased towards the end of the year and caused the spike in Jan 2011 of 6.6. Since then I have begun to be more active again and hence a steady fall. Diet pretty much remains the same.

Results just back from the surgery and it was 44 mmol/mol which converts to a HbA1c of just over 6 in old currency. So its close to the Bayer diy home kit although not as close as I would have preferred and obviously not going in the right direction! I would not have thought a week between tests would have have made a 0.2 difference so obviously there is inaccuracy somewhere. I'm more inclined to trust the surgery results as they would have been performed under lab conditions however I believe results from different labs can even vary a little.
Cholesterol was "normal" and this reflects my low(er) saturated fat diet and daily intake of the lower cholesterol yoghurt drinks which I now get from Asda or Tesco as they are just as effective and considerably cheaper than Benecol. Tesco do a 'Light' one which I prefer. I think Morrisons also have their own brand but for some inexplicable reason Sainsburys do not. I stopped taking Simvastatin a long time ago after it appeared to be giving me some bad side effects and the very bad press it was getting. I havnt regretted giving that up.
Thyroiditis is another issue for me and results were higher than last time. I take Levothyroxine and a repeat test has been suggested in 3 months.

I think I could get that HbA1c down further with a bit more effort. Does anyone know where I can buy some 'effort' from please?