Looping with omnipod

Timostags

Hi all,

I have been using my omnipod for about a year now (would highly recommend). My levels are the best they have ever been and I am proud of the control I finally have over my diabetes.

I want to set up a closed loop with the omnipod. I have done some research and have a basic knowledge but I feel like there's plenty I still don't know, and I'm not sure where to start.

Kit I currently have...
Pump:
Omnipod Eros

Cgm:
Libre + miaomaio

Phone:
Either iPhone or Android
(Prefer Android)

Questions....
Do you still need to carb count and bolus or do you leave it completely to the loop to work out?

I was told when I received my omnipod that it was possible to loop, but not to get the dash as this wouldn't be possible to loop. I have seen on LoopDocs this might now be possible and doesn't need the Riley link, is this right?

To build a closed loop with an omnipod I believe I need a Riley link and an iPhone. I was told that there isn't an Android system yet but this was being worked on. Is this still the case?

If there are any experienced loopers that are willing to help me out with a little knowledge before I start ordering parts and building the app that would be amazing.

Thanks

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi all,

I have been using my omnipod for about a year now (would highly recommend). My levels are the best they have ever been and I am proud of the control I finally have over my diabetes.

I want to set up a closed loop with the omnipod. I have done some research and have a basic knowledge but I feel like there's plenty I still don't know, and I'm not sure where to start.

Kit I currently have...
Pump:
Omnipod Eros

Cgm:
Libre + miaomaio

Phone:
Either iPhone or Android
(Prefer Android)

Questions....
Do you still need to carb count and bolus or do you leave it completely to the loop to work out?

I was told when I received my omnipod that it was possible to loop, but not to get the dash as this wouldn't be possible to loop. I have seen on LoopDocs this might now be possible and doesn't need the Riley link, is this right?

To build a closed loop with an omnipod I believe I need a Riley link and an iPhone. I was told that there isn't an Android system yet but this was being worked on. Is this still the case?

If there are any experienced loopers that are willing to help me out with a little knowledge before I start ordering parts and building the app that would be amazing.

Thanks

Just a quick reply as I’m in work just now - you’ve already got LoopDocs, which is where all the info is, but Loop is a purely Apple system - you’ll need an iPhone to run it and a Mac to build it. As far as I’m aware there isn’t a plan to expand this to Android, as there is already an android system called AAPS - @tim2000s may be able to advise on that.

Yes, you still need to carb count and enter a bolus, the dose Loop will suggest. You can accept that recommendation or enter your own. Loop basically takes care of your basal requirements as long as you have it programmed right.

Dash was said to be imminently loopable in conjunction with Tidepool, but that’s been a couple of years now and it’s no closer! So for Loop you still need a rileylink.

The best place for up to date info is to join the “Looped” group on Facebook and search the posts. Most questions you can think of have already been asked and answered there x

Reactions: CranberryIce