Travelling for 4 months

Jess-newt

Hi,
I’m planning on going travelling for 4/5 months across South East Asia late next year. Part of me is so excited but at the moment all I feel is stress and worry about going away for that length of time. I’m a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump. I’ve read up on what I should take insulin wise, but I’m panicking that if I leave insulin in the fridge at the hostels it will get stolen and if I take it with me, the heat will effect it.
I’m going with some friends who will keep an eye on me, but feel like I’m going to be a burden with all this!
Any advice about travelling for long periods of time would be great!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve not travelled for that long @Jess-newt, but whenever I have travelled I’ve put my insulin store in a couple of thermal bags, and included a cool pack with them. I think there are some good ones that can be googled, but I’ve always gone the diy route. Maybe it’d be safer to have more than one cool pack, and go for storage in hostel fridges just for the nights you’re there? The other thing you might need is a fridge temperature gauge so you can be happy the fridge won’t ruin the lot.
A good travel insurance policy’s a must too. And some glucagon - instruct friends how to use it.
What a lovely adventure to look forward to, local lockdowns etc permitting.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure how effective long term they would be, but have a look at Frio bags (you soak them in water to swell the crystals, and evaporation keeps the contents cool)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
I’m planning on going travelling for 4/5 months across South East Asia late next year. Part of me is so excited but at the moment all I feel is stress and worry about going away for that length of time. I’m a type 1 diabetic with an insulin pump. I’ve read up on what I should take insulin wise, but I’m panicking that if I leave insulin in the fridge at the hostels it will get stolen and if I take it with me, the heat will effect it.
I’m going with some friends who will keep an eye on me, but feel like I’m going to be a burden with all this!
Any advice about travelling for long periods of time would be great!

Hi Jess-Newt - I hope things start opening up for your adventure soon. At the moment, it seems like much of Asia is locked down to a greater or lesser extent, with few countries granting travel visas, for anything other than business, in exceptional circumstances.

Notwithstanding all of that, I've spent a bit of time in the region the last 2 winters, and in fact, came back to UK just a few days before UK locked down, and just as Thailand, where we were at the time were beginning their own restrictions.

I'm not on insulin, so can't offer you much wisdom on that side of things, except to say that in many places overseas insulin can be obtained from pharmacies, without prescription. Obviously, particular brands may differ, or be unavailable.

I'd strongly suggest that, just like travelling closer to home that as well as a good level of supplies that you carry your then current prescription with you - just in case. I'd also take some packaging with labels on with me. Again, some places will provide medication, provided they are content you have had it in the past.

Finally, when you know what your route is, and which countries you will be visiting, it could be worthwhile joining one of the ex-pat forums. You may think there won't be ex-pats in the country you intend to visit, but, trust me, they get everywhere, and usually know lots of local stuff.

One such example is here: https://forum.thaivisa.com/

Have a wonderful adventure.