Anxiety about starting a new job

Brokenbill

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday i was offered a job starting tonight working the night shift and instead of feeling happy and excited i was just filled with anxiety... ive spent the past weeks trying to manage my eating habits and get my blood sugars to a more manageable level. Not eating between 8pm and 10am, making better food choices and testing my self often. i am unsure if i should just flip my whole eating schedule on its head or just fast while i work any input would be greatly appreciated

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday i was offered a job starting tonight working the night shift and instead of feeling happy and excited i was just filled with anxiety... ive spent the past weeks trying to manage my eating habits and get my blood sugars to a more manageable level. Not eating between 8pm and 10am, making better food choices and testing my self often. i am unsure if i should just flip my whole eating schedule on its head or just fast while i work any input would be greatly appreciated

Hi there Bill. To be clear, I have never worked nightshifts, but some of the things to take into account are, if you fast, when you will eat, and how that might impact your ability to sleep, or as important, enjoy quality sleep

When does your shift begin and end?

Certainly, especially in the early days, I would urge you not to be hungry at work. In the early days you will have a lot to learn even if just how your new employer does things (in these strange times), and you may feel some stress, as you adjust to your new way of living and working.

Based on nothing, aside from my gut feel, in your shoes, I would try eating a couple of hours before work, and take a regime-friendly snack with me, in case I needed to have something there.

That snack could be a couple of chicken drummers/thighs, some Babybel cheese (neatly wrapped for you, some cooked sausages or such like. The meaty things, I'd wrap individually in foil, so that I could unwrap just what I might need at any given time.

If you work in a warm environment, then a little cool lunch bag might be helpful.

Once you have got the hang of the routine, you could try swapping things around until you find your own ideal wawy of doing things.

Good luck in the new job. Exciting times.