Type 1 Libre general advice

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I am type 1 and am 30 years in now. Been using the libre for 18 months and it's really great for me. I just wanted to post what is actually a really good day for me if you ignore the spike from yesterday.... My question is, is it normal to zigzag as much as my levels ALWAYS do? Seems constantly to be going up and down and I'm forever eating jelly babies to stop it dropping too low. My diabetes team have checked my lantus levels which I take in the evening and they seem perfect. Any less and I run way high... Any advice is really appreciated. I guess I'm just wanting to know if this is normal or if I really do just have particularly"brittle" diabetes! Thanks folks.
Screenshot_20201015_141220_com.freestylelibre.app.gb.jpg

JamieLish

83% in target I wouldn’t be so hard on yourself, I’d love a graph like that pal, as long as you’re in the green nothings wrong, someone without diabetes has spikes and drops during the day also.

Reactions: lmsk

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I am type 1 and am 30 years in now. Been using the libre for 18 months and it's really great for me. I just wanted to post what is actually a really good day for me if you ignore the spike from yesterday.... My question is, is it normal to zigzag as much as my levels ALWAYS do? Seems constantly to be going up and down and I'm forever eating jelly babies to stop it dropping too low. My diabetes team have checked my lantus levels which I take in the evening and they seem perfect. Any less and I run way high... Any advice is really appreciated. I guess I'm just wanting to know if this is normal or if I really do just have particularly"brittle" diabetes! Thanks folks. View attachment 44643

Looks pretty normal to me. I was on a type 1 course at the start of this year and a non diabetic Nurse had to wear a libre prior to the course to show what her levels did. They didn't go over 9 and were mostly between 4 and 8 BUT the line was up and down like yours so it looked like the DOW!, definitely not a straight line. Is anyone's, diabetic or not? I see you went below 4, is that when you eat your jelly babies or do you eat them when you are mid 4s for example to stop it going lower? I know we have to manage hypos rapidly and head them off if we catch them in time but we were told that a problem can be, you go low, you eat carbs, you go high, then it may drop again so you eat more carbs...and on it goes up and down. The libreview site (when you upload your data) shows what your variation is and lets you know if it is within 'acceptable levels'. x

Reactions: lmsk

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks guys. And yeah that's a really good day don't be fooled ha ha. Yes I do tend to catch it with my jelly babies before it goes below 4.5 during the day but still had lots of hypos lately cos I've been trying to get my hba2c down a bit. It's currently at 63 and doc said he'd like it in the 50's. I've no idea if I can ha but I can keep trying!
Glad to know this is "normal"

Reactions: KK123

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd say a normal day I manage 40-60% in target if I'm totally honest!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a T2 I'm not that knowledgeable about T1, but if you're eating something a around 4.5, could a slower release carb be the answer, rather than a quick fix JB?

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As a T2 I'm not that knowledgeable about T1, but if you're eating something a around 4.5, could a slower release carb be the answer, rather than a quick fix JB?
Hmm I'm not sure as it drops quick and my stomach is slow. Could maybe try a back up digestive after the jelly babies tho actually...