new foods I have found

themutant

Ok so a little over a month ago I was diagnosed with type 2 and told to go on a sugar free low carb diet along with my meds. since then I've been finding foods that I never would have tried before. none of these things have raised my blood sugar levels by any large margin. and there are some that just spiked me into the atmosphere. I figured id do a running list of these things for anyone newly diagnosed like myself. if nobody objects i will regularly update as I find more, and if anyone wants to contribute please do. More information is always welcome.

Good:
Godiva 90% dark chocolate (this stuff is amazing!!)
caffeine free diet Pepsi (thank god I found this, cant do without my Pepsi fix)
Tesco brand Brown rice pasta (not only low in carbs but gluten free as well)
Celeriac (makes great mash, haven't figured out how to roast it yet)
Cauliflower (absolutely delicious in curries)

Bad
Tesco brand red lentil pasta (for some reason I got a huge spike eating this)
Fish Fingers (im gonna miss these)
Lidl Low GI rolls and cob (the trick here is moderation, just stick to one a day) yeah this worked for a few weeks but now seems that any carb intake rockets me so.......

Last edited:

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't trust ANY pasta. But we are all different.

Cauli rough mash (and celeriac) make fabulous toppings for cottage and shepherd's pie. Google anything you fancy just put keto first. I trust you have discovered dietdoctor.com, fat head dough for pizza etc

Chriztopher

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't trust ANY pasta. But we are all different.

Cauli rough mash (and celeriac) make fabulous toppings for cottage and shepherd's pie. Google anything you fancy just put keto first. I trust you have discovered dietdoctor.com, fat head dough for pizza etc

Celeriac and Butterbean mash is delicious, and cauliflower rice is good with a curry!

SilverK

Love celeriac but my dad hates the smell and complains bitterly if I even bring it into the house! - I put a ready made curry in the microwave for two minutes once, he came back from a business trip four days later and threw the microwave out!!

Reactions: Chriztopher

Chriztopher

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Love celeriac but my dad hates the smell and complains bitterly if I even bring it into the house! - I put a ready made curry in the microwave for two minutes once, he came back from a business trip four days later and threw the microwave out!!

I’ll send you a portion of the celeriac soup I’ve just made

Reactions: SilverK

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Just curious - who advised you to go sugar-free, low carb? Is NHS advice changing at last?

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Thank you Chriztopher and themutant. It sounds as though dietary advice might slowly be changing at last!

Reactions: Chriztopher

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are a few higher % chocolates that are really good, personal favourites of mines are
Lindt 90%
Lidl 95%
And 3 times a week trear an individual bar of Aldi's Moser Roth 85%, each 25g bar is just under 5g carbs and many type 2's find they can handle that as their treat xx

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok so a little over a month ago I was diagnosed with type 2 and told to go on a sugar free low carb diet along with my meds. since then I've been finding foods that I never would have tried before. none of these things have raised my blood sugar levels by any large margin. and there are some that just spiked me into the atmosphere. I figured id do a running list of these things for anyone newly diagnosed like myself. if nobody objects i will regularly update as I find more, and if anyone wants to contribute please do. More information is always welcome.

Good:
caffeine free diet Pepsi (thank god I found this, cant do without my Pepsi fix)
Tesco brand Brown rice pasta (not only low in carbs but gluten free as well)
Celeriac (makes great mash, haven't figured out how to roast it yet)
Cauliflower (absolutely delicious in curries)

Bad
Tesco brand red lentil pasta (for some reason I got a huge spike eating this)
Fish Fingers (im gonna miss these)
L found fish fingers to be surprising. They spike way above what I would expect from the carb count. Similar to Faggots from a well known brand, Investigation of the faggots showed they are fortified with sugar alcohols that do not register in the carb count, but which have a bad effect on my bgl meter (a documented sensitivity in most bgl meters) Think that to make fish fingers child friendly (food magnet) they must be adding similar hidden sugar alcohols. I find some frozen vegetables from certain supermarket chains also spike me unexpectedly (especially peas) and sadly their own brand sausages. I generally find Aldi a reliable source of these products (but not the faggots and fish fingers that are branded and sugar flavoured)

Taxus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Over the last year I have found it difficulty to find low carb noodles, which I often used with home made bolognese sauce, a meal approved of by my non-diabetic wife and our sometimes fussy kids. However I now have two new good low carb substitutes that others might like to try.

Some days I now make spaghetti bolognese for kids, and for my wife and I put the same sauce in red or yellow peppers that have first had the stalk and seeds removed and precooked for a few minutes in boiling water. The filled peppers are then put in a Pyrex bowl in oven for 20 min.

Recipe two is again use pasta for kids but for adults cut an aubergine in thick long slices, score surfaces with knife, add olive oil and put in oven for 20 min. Transfer to plate and smother in bolognese sauce. Mmmmm!

Oh and do try putting thick long cut aubergine slices scored on surfaces in oven 20 min or so with olive oil and mozerella added near the end so is goes gooey. Lovely as starter or with other things for main dish.