G6PD and hemolytic anemia

62Karen

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else have big issues with anaemia especially linked to shape of red blood cells and causing dizziness or breathlessness?

Might help if anyone is just having anemia issues?

Waiting on endocrinologist to research further and the world to be back to normal so these test etc can take place easily!

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else have big issues with anaemia especially linked to shape of red blood cells and causing dizziness or breathlessness?

Might help if anyone is just having anemia issues?

Waiting on endocrinologist to research further and the world to be back to normal so these test etc can take place easily!
Hi 62Karen , i am a D2 and have been diagnosed long ago with G6PD deficiency though i can't remember which enzyme or what percentage it is affecting me. I ate fava beans and entered into haemolysis till my hgb dropped to 4.5 and had to be admitted to the hospital and transfusion etc. Its then when they did test and found me G6PD deficient. I recently developed D2 and after 3 month low carb my a1c returned back lower than my BG readings (a1c of 27 though per my calculations it should have been 32-35). That lead me to research on the topic and then i found that G6PD deficiency can lower hba1c levels with a correction of about 0.8% or 8 mmol/l. So it seems my a1c should be around 35, but not sure. However, my recent blood picture shows completely normal haemoglobin and no signs of anaemia. Never had any haemolysis after that episode either and i dont eat fava bean too. My question to you is, is your a1c is affected because of G6PD, if you are deficient i suppose?