Type 2 diabetes: Experimental therapy could remove need for insulin

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed this could offer hope for some.

The cynic in me is wondering - as this is a medical procedure and it does look the procedure could reduce the reliance on Big Pharma drugs, could this affect the results of the trial?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...imental-therapy-could-remove-need-for-insulin

This has been around in the US for a while, and indeed there have been trials ongoing in UK for some time, in a couple of locations.

It's easy for me, as a non-insulin user, to be critical of the procedure, but I can't say I fancy having parts of my innards burnt away. I'm not sure we yet understand what any longer term impacts of that process could be.

The trial name is REVITA. There's a bit more information here4: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/surgery/research/clinical-trials/duodenal-mucosal-resurfacing-trial

In the meantime, I'll stick with trying to stay in the best shape I can.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fingers crossed this could offer hope for some.

The cynic in me is wondering - as this is a medical procedure and it does look the procedure could reduce the reliance on Big Pharma drugs, could this affect the results of the trial?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...imental-therapy-could-remove-need-for-insulin
The procedure involves killing off areas of the stomach to emulate a gastric bypass. It is probably non-reversible. It is reducing the absorption of glucose but also other nutrients and will also probably reduce the stomach acid and helpful enzymes that the cell walls provide. If they are targetting GLP-1 then there are oral meds that do this on a non-permanent basis. Also, reduction in glucose absorption may not actually benefit insulin users who are their supposed target audience,

Sound like this is a cost reduction exercise rather than a beneficial procedure.

Ablating the cells in the acidic environment of the stomach may create a weakness for ulceration to occur. Alternatively, it may be this treatment could be applied to treating ulcers?

Reactions: ziggy_w

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The procedure involves killing off areas of the stomach to emulate a gastric bypass. It is probably non-reversible. It is reducing the absorption of glucose but also other nutrients and will also probably reduce the stomach acid and helpful enzymes that the cell walls provide. If they are targetting GLP-1 then there are oral meds that do this on a non-permanent basis. Also, reduction in glucose absorption may not actually benefit insulin users who are their supposed target audience,

Sound like this is a cost reduction exercise rather than a beneficial procedure.

Ablating the cells in the acidic environment of the stomach may create a weakness for ulceration to occur. Alternatively, it may be this treatment could be applied to treating ulcers?

The link posted by @DCUKMod shows the criteria for who may be eligible. This includes people not using insulin. Kinda odd their target audience is insulin users.

If only there were a simpler, noninvasive approach, like a dietary change... just can't think of one that comes to mind that would lower glucose levels. o_O One that might actually just mean lowering carbohydrate consumption... nah, it's a mystery, just can't think of one. ;)

Apparently, you'd need to be taking and continue taking a GLP-1 drug.... because this procedure reduces those hormones. That just doesn't sound like much of a win and that's if it even works. Being the objective isn't so much about reducing or eliminating insulin use in T2's, but it is focused from what I can see on lower blood glucose levels and providing better control... once again, it only there was a dietary approach for lowering A1c levels which even after more then 12 months were still in the diabetic range with this procedure that requires hormone therapy. Oh yeah, anyone heard of low carb or keto? Instead of burning away the duodenum?

The so called promising trial also failed to disclose any side effects... hmmm oh well.

Reactions: JenniferM55

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If only there were a simpler, noninvasive approach, like a dietary change... just can't think of one that comes to mind that would lower glucose levels. o_O One that might actually just mean lowering carbohydrate consumption... nah, it's a mystery, just can't think of one
Virtual Gastric Band Hypnosis. Came across a card in a local shop advertising this service sounded a bit bizzare to me but looking it up there seems to be some merit to it.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/can-hypnotherapy-help-you-lose-weight

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most positive possible future treatment is the one being worked on by the Mount Sinai team.
There is a combination of drugs which can cause Beta Cells to proliferate, could be a game changer for Type 1's & Type 2's.
Might not resolve inherent insulin resistance problems but should imporove eveyones situation.
They have the drug & are working on the delivery vehicle.

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=228121

Reactions: JenniferM55

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most positive possible future treatment is the one being worked on by the Mount Sinai team.
There is a combination of drugs which can cause Beta Cells to proliferate, could be a game changer for Type 1's & Type 2's.
Might not resolve inherent insulin resistance problems but should imporove eveyones situation.

Huge assumption that for T2 the cells are "lost" rather than just not working as effectively as they could be though?
The vast majority of T2's are not deficient in beta cells and produce way too much insulin.
Screenshot 2020-10-19 at 12.36.52.png

That statement is simply incorrect.

Why take a medication when some fairly simple dietarychanges can put T2 into remission for many.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The link posted by @DCUKMod shows the criteria for who may be eligible. This includes people not using insulin. Kinda odd their target audience is insulin users.

If only there were a simpler, noninvasive approach, like a dietary change... just can't think of one that comes to mind that would lower glucose levels. o_O One that might actually just mean lowering carbohydrate consumption... nah, it's a mystery, just can't think of one. ;)

Apparently, you'd need to be taking and continue taking a GLP-1 drug.... because this procedure reduces those hormones. That just doesn't sound like much of a win and that's if it even works. Being the objective isn't so much about reducing or eliminating insulin use in T2's, but it is focused from what I can see on lower blood glucose levels and providing better control... once again, it only there was a dietary approach for lowering A1c levels which even after more than 12 months were still in the diabetic range with this procedure that requires hormone therapy. Oh yeah, anyone heard of low carb or keto? Instead of burning away the duodenum?

The so-called promising trial also failed to disclose any side effects... hmmm oh well.

I got the impression this was describing a potential solution, and that it had not yet been trialled, but that they seem to be seeking funding + approval to start work on the theory. I believe it used to be called 'prospective' study.

Reactions: Tophat1900

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I got the impression this was describing a potential solution, and that it had not yet been trialled, but that they seem to be seeking funding + approval to start work on the theory. I believe it used to be called 'prospective' study.

Yes, they want to experiment on a larger group of people. A conference paper was released, but not much in the way of details about it to the public. Side effects, how or why it works, apparently they don't know or are not saying. Good to see they are open about it.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

I'd say it's not a game changer for T1's when they can't figure out why the immune system is destroying beta cells in the first place. It just baffles me that all these break throughs to improve life for T2's all involve drugs when the simplest of changes is staring these researchers in the face. Yet they go to drugs and drug combos with side effects and invasive procedures and ignore the obvious.

You're right, it won't help resolve insulin resistance, but the blind focus on blood glucose levels remains. Treat the symptom and not the cause is always going to get in the way of any intended better outcomes, but it will create a continuous need for a prescription drug.

Keeps the powerful food companies happy though I guess and lines the pockets of drug companies. I'm not against drugs for conditions, so don't get me wrong there, I wouldn't be here without some of them, but for some of these things where there is already a highly successful diet change available why go to what come across as extremes.... Perhaps Pink Floyd has the answer.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A series of posts have been deleted for taking the thread completely off topic. Please keep to a discussion within the boundaries of the OP. Thanks.

Valleydweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, first time posting and have been lurking on diabetes sites for a while now.

I was recently made aware of this (DMR) being available in UK privately. Is there any information as to how effective it is/ how much it costs etc. other than the clinic adverts. Has anyone here had the procedure done?

Any information would be fantastic, kind regards,

Dean

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All, first time posting and have been lurking on diabetes sites for a while now.

I was recently made aware of this (DMR) being available in UK privately. Is there any information as to how effective it is/ how much it costs etc. other than the clinic adverts. Has anyone here had the procedure done?

Any information would be fantastic, kind regards,

Dean
These people started recruiting for a study called Revita(DMR). They do not apear to have published any results in the public domain yet

It is available as a private clinic procedure and is licenced by the FDA for investigation status only, so is not formally accepted as a treatment. seems to still be in development.

Reactions: Valleydweller