Toujeo Trouble

Galvatron81

Hi,

I’m having major issues with Toujeo. I started it back in May (previously Lantus) and had a reasonable start with helping my blood sugars.

In the last two weeks I’ve had to go to A&E for constant low glucose levels. This has happened 2 hours after Toujeo injection lasting the duration of the night. This has now repeated it self on 4 occasions.

I use Humalog for meals and carb count thoroughly. It’s as though I’ve injected more quick acting insulin (I know I haven’t).

DN has told me to lower the dose. It now seems like I have no background insulin during the day and having horrific highs for no reason.

I am tempted to go back to Lantus - when I changed over many months ago the dosage was the same 22 units. If I decide to go back to Lantus can I go back to same dose (Toujeo is 36 hours - which I find confusing)

Thanks In advance !

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
About every 6 week I miss a dose because I am having to many lows. What I have found if I take the 20 units say about 7pm, time you allowed up to 5 hr to work it be about 12pm. I wake up low, I just few more carbs
Have you been given min-max units to take? I take between 16-20

Have you tried a new pen

Reactions: Galvatron81

Galvatron81

About every 6 week I miss a dose because I am having to many lows. What I have found if I take the 20 units say about 7pm, time you allowed up to 5 hr to work it be about 12pm. I wake up low, I just few more carbs
Have you been given min-max units to take? I take between 16-20

Have you tried a new pen

Hi Alanj,

Oh okay - I’ve never tried that (missing a dose). I have tried 2 new pens to rule that out and making sure I change needles and the injection site is as good as can be, as well as rotating sites.

I inject normally around 7:30 -8 pm and then find from 10pm I’m dropping until 6 am in the morning. If I’m in range I’ll have repeated hypos (last Tuesday I had 4 mars bars, half of bag of sugar) to try and keep it up through the night) that was on 22 units.

Since then I’m down to 16 units but finding the same thing. Went up to 19.2 last night after evening meal (5 pm) then from 10pm til 6 continued to drop down til 12. If I’m not running really high after evening meal I’ll find I keeping hypoing.

It also tends to start rising again at 6am - this morning from 12 up to 16 in a matter of 40 minutes. After doing normal ratio + correction dose it slowly rises until lunch. Then I have the same issue with lunch.

It’s as though the Toujeo acts as short acting from 10 pm until 6am. Then as if I don’t have any background insulin during the day.

When I was taking Lantus, i was on 22 units and moved over to that dosage on Toujeo and has been fine up until 2 weeks ago.

Thank you for your reply & help alanj.

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before you do anything go back to your gp or d/n explain what you are thinking of doing or ring Sanofi (toujeo) diabetes care line 24 hr Freephone 08000 352525

I am on my mobile I can't commit on what else you written because I can't see it . It's a age thing I cannot remember.

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This may help you adjust insulin
IMG_20201020_171950.jpg
IMG_20201020_172008.jpg

Galvatron81

Before you do anything go back to your gp or d/n explain what you are thinking of doing or ring Sanofi (toujeo) diabetes care line 24 hr Freephone 08000 352525

I am on my mobile I can't commit on what else you written because I can't see it . It's a age thing I cannot remember.

Hi alanj,

Thank you for the number I will give Sanofi diabetes care line a ring tomorrow. This may be very helpful before speaking to my DN on Thursday.

Once again, most appreciated alanj

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just been reading your post again

Have you checked exp date? If OK ring Sanofi with the lot number it maybe bad batch.

You said you took 4 mars bars but no long-term carbs

Last year l inject 20 units of apidra by mistake sent me into hypo. Just had 4-5 jellybabys 2 slices toast had to it twice

Galvatron81

Just been reading your post again

Have you checked exp date? If OK ring Sanofi with the lot number it maybe bad batch.

You said you took 4 mars bars but no long-term carbs

Last year l inject 20 units of apidra by mistake sent me into hypo. Just had 4-5 jellybabys 2 slices toast had to it twice

Hi alanj,

I didn’t get round to ringing Sanofi today but, that’s one of my jobs to get done tomorrow.

I’ve checked the exp date and it seems okay. Every night this week it has been acting like a quick acting insulin instead of background - it’s strange how it’s just suddenly started.

I have injected Humalog at 5pm and eaten, then at 8pm inject my Toujeo and by the clock, just after 10 it continues es to drop until 6 am then rises at 6 am and continues to rise throughout the day.

The first trip to A&E I considered that maybe I had accidentally injected too much Humalog or double dosed Toujeo. But have had same action each night now.

My bs have never been this uncontrolled in the 30years as a type 1 - so frustrating.
Hopefully Sanofi will be able to shed some light.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help alanj

Reactions: oldgreymare

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I should have guessed you were T1 iam T2 so I have been thinking like a T2 though i been talking toujeo for Al most 3 years

I don't know where long term came from I meant to to say have some carbs as well

I hope you find an answer soon

alanj

Galvatron81

I should have guessed you were T1 iam T2 so I have been thinking like a T2 though i been talking toujeo for Al most 3 years

I don't know where long term came from I meant to to say have some carbs as well

I hope you find an answer soon

alanj

That’s no worries, I didn’t make that clear.

I rang Sanofi and they have not have any recall for that particular batch but, they noted down the side effects and will look into it.

Meanwhile, I have switched back to Lantus to see if it amends the issues.

Thank you for your help alanj.

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just reading leaflet for myself to show my wife about storage as she is a career I noticed this

Toujeo contains insulin 3 times more insulin in ml than standard insulin, which contains 100 unit/ml

If you are taking like for like you maybe taking to much

Silkroad77

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I’m having major issues with Toujeo. I started it back in May (previously Lantus) and had a reasonable start with helping my blood sugars.

In the last two weeks I’ve had to go to A&E for constant low glucose levels. This has happened 2 hours after Toujeo injection lasting the duration of the night. This has now repeated it self on 4 occasions.

I use Humalog for meals and carb count thoroughly. It’s as though I’ve injected more quick acting insulin (I know I haven’t).

DN has told me to lower the dose. It now seems like I have no background insulin during the day and having horrific highs for no reason.

I am tempted to go back to Lantus - when I changed over many months ago the dosage was the same 22 units. If I decide to go back to Lantus can I go back to same dose (Toujeo is 36 hours - which I find confusing)

Thanks In advance !

I'm also having major issues with Toujeo.

Insane blood sugar levels-all over the place despite eating the SAME AMOUNT of different food types.
I've had 2 slices of toast for over 15 years for breakfast, and yet each morning I can be anything between LO-12.

For a year I've had the same portion of rice/pasta/cous-cous etc.

I don't carb count meticulously but use a 'measuring' plate or bowl, or just use a tablespoon for rice portions to ensure it's the same amount every time-still anything from 3-17 two to three hours later.

I'll have days when I'm consistently high-for either the entire day, or most of the day (despite taking 2 units of correction dosage of Novorapid), for me 2 units works the best (when it does work) 1 unit isn't enough, 3 units always leads to hypos.

Oh and I've also changed my Toujeo from an initial 30 units per day, down to 25 units-none of it works, I still get the same highs and lows, and yes I've also tried adjusting my Novorapid and it doesn't work either!
Also I've given the Toujeo units adjustment at least 3-4 weeks each time, just to be sure and it doesn't work!

I've put on 3 stones (42 pounds, 19 kilos) quickly since starting the Toujeo & Novorapid & have cut down snacking between meals to 0 and have also cut down portion sizes.

I'm sure some medical expert who knows nothing about being Diabetic will still hark on about 'carb counting, carb to insulin ratio, portion sizes, snacking, exercise' like a broken record!
Yes I do exercise-more than when I was on Novomix 30 thanks!

It's just annoying and regardless of what some medical expert thinks I'd say that something in this basal & bolus regime clearly isn't working!

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Hi alanj,

I didn’t get round to ringing Sanofi today but, that’s one of my jobs to get done tomorrow.

I’ve checked the exp date and it seems okay. Every night this week it has been acting like a quick acting insulin instead of background - it’s strange how it’s just suddenly started.

I have injected Humalog at 5pm and eaten, then at 8pm inject my Toujeo and by the clock, just after 10 it continues es to drop until 6 am then rises at 6 am and continues to rise throughout the day.

The first trip to A&E I considered that maybe I had accidentally injected too much Humalog or double dosed Toujeo. But have had same action each night now.

My bs have never been this uncontrolled in the 30years as a type 1 - so frustrating.
Hopefully Sanofi will be able to shed some light.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help alanj
How annoying! Was there a specific reason your healthcare team suggested to moving to Toujeo? Ignore the 36 hour duration, but maybe swapping to a once a day am shot may be a more stable alternative? I assume that you are taking into account all the other myriad reasons our BGs can alter - diet, sleep, stress, physical activity, weight, other medications, illness, emotional state, weather and so on as much as you can? Sadly we aren't able to replicate the exquisite control a healthy pancreas can achieve - just need to try our best.