Libre sensor not working but MiaoMiao still receiving accurate readings

BethTW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My Libre freestyle won’t scan on my phone (iPhone XS Max in case it makes a difference) I phone Abbott and they’re sending out a replacement as I had to use my spare since I changed last night and it fell off, now my spare is broken too. The thing is, my MiaoMiao is still sending readings to the Tomato app and they’re still pretty accurate (0.2 difference when compared to my blood test) anyone ever had this? I only kept the sensors on because I didn’t want the can’t get reading from the tomato app every 5 minutes until I get a new sensor.

BethTW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I should mention that I’m new to using the MiaoMiao, this is the first time I’m having an error like this with the sensor while having no spares and using the MiaoMiao and just wondering if anyone else has still got readings using the MiaoMiao while having a sensor that is not scanning.

BethTW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I should mention that I’m new to using the MiaoMiao, this is the first time I’m having an error like this with the sensor while having no spares and using the MiaoMiao and just wondering if anyone else has still got readings using the MiaoMiao while having a sensor that is not scanning.
Slight update, it’s not so accurate right now, Tomato is saying I’m 2.3 and blood sugars say 4.1. Although I have just taken something to get me out of the hypo so it might just be playing catch up. I do feel more on the 2.3 side but that could be my mind playing tricks.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to original question. If you are 'scanning' with the phone that is NFC. The mm will be scanning using NFC too. The mm sends to phone using Bluetooth. So I would deduce that the iPhone has turned off NFC somehow.

BethTW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Back to original question. If you are 'scanning' with the phone that is NFC. The mm will be scanning using NFC too. The mm sends to phone using Bluetooth. So I would deduce that the iPhone has turned off NFC somehow.
Can it turn off without me telling it to? I’m from a computer background and never heard of a function just turning off. There’s errors but from my experience it would need some sort of human input which it never got...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

You should be able to scan the with the phone wearing the MM in situ over the top of the Libre. At least I can with an Andoroid Galaxy Note 4..

Have you tried NFC is switched on.? If so.. Remove the MM & try scanning the sensor??
Could be a security upgrade with NFC on your device?? Just guessing on that..

With regards to the Tomato app & changing accuracy. Are you able to calibrate the reading to your meter?
When did you last calibrate the Tomato app?

If you have treated the hypo. Then checked with your meter? The sensor will always take a little longer to catch up on the rise..

BethTW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

You should be able to scan the with the phone wearing the MM in situ over the top of the Libre. At least I can with an Andoroid Galaxy Note 4..

Have you tried NFC is switched on.? If so.. Remove the MM & try scanning the sensor??
Could be a security upgrade with NFC on your device?? Just guessing on that..

With regards to the Tomato app & changing accuracy. Are you able to calibrate the reading to your meter?
When did you last calibrate the Tomato app?

If you have treated the hypo. Then checked with your meter? The sensor will always take a little longer to catch up on the rise..
I’ve been scanning using the Libre app with the MiaoMiao since I Got the MiaoMiao last month; it takes a bit more movement to scan, but it normally scans eventually.

My phone didn’t update Last night, well not that I’m aware of anyways.

It was scanning perfectly last night after changing it, then I went to scan this morning since I was really low in the middle of the night, and the error popped up saying that the sensor was not working and it needs replaced. So I can’t scan using the Libre at all, but the MiaoMiao is still working and picking up semi accurate readings which is confusing me. I thought the Libre sensor had to work and scan for the MiaoMiao to work but apparently not.

or at least if an error came up on the phone saying that it wasn’t working then it wouldn’t be able to send data to the MiaoMiao. Apparently that two was wrong (so much for having a computing degree)

I was going to take the sensors off since the Libre isn’t working, and it will be a few days before the replacement gets here. I didn’t want the tomato app constantly telling me that it can’t get a reading, like it does when I take it off to charge. So I thought I would leave it on since it wasn’t notifying me about anything. Then I got a notification telling me that I was low and I didn’t know what to do, so checked the app and it had been reading all morning, even after the Libre sensor stopped working.

I’m assuming something happened the connection between the phone and the Libre sensor last night but the MiaoMiao is still picking up readings from the sensor and sending it to the phone, just with a little less accuracy. I just didn’t know it did that.

I calibrated it today and it gave slightly better readings, so that’s something positive.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can it turn off without me telling it to? I’m from a computer background and never heard of a function just turning off. There’s errors but from my experience it would need some sort of human input which it never got...

I'm not an iPhone user so can't answer that but there have been similar posts regarding iPhones suddenly stopping NFC. Take s look here or on diabetes.co.uk.

Edit: That should be 'diabetes.org.uk'
HTH

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been scanning using the Libre app with the MiaoMiao since I Got the MiaoMiao last month; it takes a bit more movement to scan, but it normally scans eventually.

My phone didn’t update Last night, well not that I’m aware of anyways.

It was scanning perfectly last night after changing it, then I went to scan this morning since I was really low in the middle of the night, and the error popped up saying that the sensor was not working and it needs replaced. So I can’t scan using the Libre at all, but the MiaoMiao is still working and picking up semi accurate readings which is confusing me. I thought the Libre sensor had to work and scan for the MiaoMiao to work but apparently not.

or at least if an error came up on the phone saying that it wasn’t working then it wouldn’t be able to send data to the MiaoMiao. Apparently that two was wrong (so much for having a computing degree)

I was going to take the sensors off since the Libre isn’t working, and it will be a few days before the replacement gets here. I didn’t want the tomato app constantly telling me that it can’t get a reading, like it does when I take it off to charge. So I thought I would leave it on since it wasn’t notifying me about anything. Then I got a notification telling me that I was low and I didn’t know what to do, so checked the app and it had been reading all morning, even after the Libre sensor stopped working.

I’m assuming something happened the connection between the phone and the Libre sensor last night but the MiaoMiao is still picking up readings from the sensor and sending it to the phone, just with a little less accuracy. I just didn’t know it did that.

I calibrated it today and it gave slightly better readings, so that’s something positive.

When you changed the LIbre, did you go through the rigmarole, of activating the sensor & waiting for the warm up/bedding in period?? (An hour.. Some wait longer..)

BethTW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When you changed the LIbre, did you go through the rigmarole, of activating the sensor & waiting for the warm up/bedding in period?? (An hour.. Some wait longer..)
Yep, did that, I actually had 1 fall off before the hour was up so had to use my spare and it was working fine all last night, picked up on my low in the middle of the night then this morning I went to check it and a little pop up box cane up saying that it wasn’t working and needed replaced.

BethTW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not an iPhone user so can't answer that but there have been similar posts regarding iPhones suddenly stopping NFC. Take s look here or on diabetes.co.uk.

HTH
That’s strange, I never heard of it randomly knocking off, maybe if it updated but my phone didn’t update last night. Thanks, I must have a look into it.