cholesterol.

Fawbs89

I too plan to make a fuss about going on statins but I am biding my time. I don't like my levels so high so I admit I am trying to change things, its fair to say I'm probably eating a low carb, moderate fat diet now rather than low carb high fat. I am not sure it will help but I feel I must give it a go. I have used some cholesterol test strips and have noticed a small difference but whether that's temporary or not remains to be seen.
I've been on stations for several months. There's really no issue with them they have helped me massively.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too plan to make a fuss about going on statins but I am biding my time. I don't like my levels so high so I admit I am trying to change things, its fair to say I'm probably eating a low carb, moderate fat diet now rather than low carb high fat. I am not sure it will help but I feel I must give it a go. I have used some cholesterol test strips and have noticed a small difference but whether that's temporary or not remains to be seen.

Ryhia - I've probably asked this already, as it's one of my boringly repetitive questions, but I'll ask again. :)

Have you had your thyroid checked out of late? Underactive or an under medicated thyroid can cause elevated lipids.

When I "see" the Endo in a week or so, I'll be using that as a lever for a small increment in my medication I detest taking medication, but if I'm stuck with them, I would prefer to be hitting my sweet spots.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I've been on stations for several months. There's really no issue with them they have helped me massively.
I am assuming that you mean statins (auto-correct has a lot to answer for!).
How have they helped you? Your profile does not say that you are diabetic and some of us who are diabetic do worry about statins causing increases in blood glucose levels.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ryhia - I've probably asked this already, as it's one of my boringly repetitive questions, but I'll ask again. :)

Have you had your thyroid checked out of late? Underactive or an under medicated thyroid can cause elevated lipids.

When I "see" the Endo in a week or so, I'll be using that as a lever for a small increment in medication I detest taking medication, but if I'm stuck with them, I would prefer to be hitting my sweet spots.

My last HbA1c in July everything seemed to be ok but I don't know much about thyroid issues, except it doesnt seem to be a family trait (and we have lots of them). Then again neither does cholesterol as far as I am aware. No one complaining of it to me at any rates and I have 4 other siblings to compare with. Is there a specific test for thyroid other than the one incorporated into my HbA1c?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last HbA1c in July everything seemed to be ok but I don't know much about thyroid issues, except it doesnt seem to be a family trait (and we have lots of them). Then again neither does cholesterol as far as I am aware. No one complaining of it to me at any rates and I have 4 other siblings to compare with. Is there a specific test for thyroid other than the one incorporated into my HbA1c?

The usual test, initially anyway is the TSH test (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). UK's diagnostic threshold is very high by comparison to other countries. UK takes a vague interest at 5, but doesn't routinely start medication until 10. US starts to medicate at 3.

Anything over 3 suggests the thyroid might be struggling a bit.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The usual test, initially anyway is the TSH test (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). UK's diagnostic threshold is very high by comparison to other countries. UK takes a vague interest at 5, but doesn't routinely start medication until 10. US starts to medicate at 3.

Anything over 3 suggests the thyroid might be struggling a bit.
Last bloods showed Serum TSH Level Normal - no action.
Serum TSH level 1.97 mIU/L Range 0.30 - 4.50 mIU/L.

Actually I was incorrect previously, one of my sisters does have thyroid issues.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last bloods showed Serum TSH Level Normal - no action.
Serum TSH level 1.97 mIU/L Range 0.30 - 4.50 mIU/L.

Actually I was incorrect previously, one of my sisters does have thyroid issues.

1.97 is fine. A bit like lipids, it's not the whole picture, but it's usually fairly reliably indicative at those levels.

Fawbs89

I am assuming that you mean statins (auto-correct has a lot to answer for!).
How have they helped you? Your profile does not say that you are diabetic and some of us who are diabetic do worry about statins causing increases in blood glucose levels.
Hey. I did mean statins. I am diabetic I'm 31 and have been taking insulin since I was 14. I have mody 3 diabetes. I have taken statins for around 3 years now and have had no issues but my cholesterol has reduced.

Reactions: Ryhia

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's up to me how I treat my body and what medications I choose to take...
I agree completely but I'm still interested in why you think that taking a statin would be a good idea for you.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Its great that you are not experiencing issues with taking statins, many people have a different experience suffering bad side effects and yes I know I haven't tried them so may be fortunate as well but I am just uncomfortable taking a tablet that can make a person sick when there is such controversy as to whether they are actually beneficial apart from lowering cholesterol, also they lower both LDL and HDL when you actually want HDL to be healthy. As well as measuring cholesterol, the blood tests I am waiting for will also test my ApoB levels which I think is a better indicator of heart health so I will wait on those results before I make any decisions.

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Been away for a few days but returned last Thursday to find an appointment for a blood test in the post. It was due to take place Monday gone but as I didn't feel I had had time to settle myself for this bloods all over the place due to stress of the journey and whilst away had had to compromise on certain foods, I decided to reschedule, then after I had asked for the appointment to be rescheduled, we heard about the new lockdown. Not sure if the appointment will be rearranged now or at least not any time soon but I shall wait and see.

Last edited:

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think there is a problem with saturated fats?
Sorry for not responding earlier bulkbiker but I had to think about this one.

Actually no I don't think there is a problem with saturated fats but I think there may be a problem with my genes and how my body copes with fat or dairy or both! My doc seems to think that what I have been eating has exacerbated my cholesterol levels although as you are aware for most people this would not be the case. I have made some modifications to my diet as I am trying to see if the things I eat (or don't eat) make a difference, however this is just a trial and error experiment. For some reason I have it in my head that cream is probably the culprit so I have cut cream right out of my diet and reduced other dairy products drastically, still having plenty of fatty meats at the moment. One step at a time I think.

Reactions: OzBlossom

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have made some modifications to my diet as I am trying to see if the things I eat (or don't eat) make a difference, however this is just a trial and error experiment
I am making similar experimental efforts to improve my cholesterol results. I have reduced the fat in my diet some, which seems right as eating too much fat makes me feel queasy. However I can't reduce it too far, as I am eating VLC and I am under-weight. I have to eat something! I had a breakthrough moment when I read that eating more fibre can reduce bad cholesterol. It is not easy to eat higher fibre but still VLC. With the help of Slim rice and pasta (4g fibre per portion) and psyllium I am getting nearer to the recommended 30g fibre daily. I may reduce my ambitions to 25g daily which will be more sustainable long-term. I am wondering if I should go for another cholesterol test 6 months on from the last. It doesn't seem the best time to have a blood test that is not vitally necessary, but at the same time I will find it hard to keep up my high fibre efforts without any feedback.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have increased my fibre a lot so I now have flaxseed porridge or mix flaxseed with yoghurt quite often for breakfast. Flaxseed is supposed to bring down LDL cholesterol so I thought no harm in giving it a go.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have increased my fibre a lot so I now have flaxseed porridge or mix flaxseed with yoghurt quite often for breakfast. Flaxseed is supposed to bring down LDL cholesterol so I thought no harm in giving it a go.
Me too! I make a form of chia pudding for breakfast with flaxseed, psyllium etc. Time will tell if this helps my cholesterol.