chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hello,
I'm a type 1 of 22 years and have recently returned to the care of diabetes team at the hospital.
I'm currently on Humalog and Humulin I.
My confidence in my control has recently taken a knock and I am very close to the wire with an HbA1c of 41.
I am now on the waiting list for a freestyle libre, and will need to change my Android to one that is compatible. And also possible future proof if I decide to go miao miao?

So my question is 'what is the best phone that will give me the least amount of trouble?'
I'm 48 years old and know very little about phones, the one I'm using now is a samsung galaxy j5.
I'm sure this topic has probably been debated before, so any pointers in the right direction or your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
I'm a type 1 of 22 years and have recently returned to the care of diabetes team at the hospital.
I'm currently on Humalog and Humulin I.
My confidence in my control has recently taken a knock and I am very close to the wire with an HbA1c of 41.
I am now on the waiting list for a freestyle libre, and will need to change my Android to one that is compatible. And also possible future proof if I decide to go miao miao?

So my question is 'what is the best phone that will give me the least amount of trouble?'
I'm 48 years old and know very little about phones, the one I'm using now is a samsung galaxy j5.
I'm sure this topic has probably been debated before, so any pointers in the right direction or your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

I'm not exactly up to date with the latest phone.

I've used a 5 year old Galaxy A3 with no issue scanning libres & then switching to using a Miaomiao.
Now I use a Samsung Note 4.. (Which was probably launched 5or 6 years back?)

If you J5 has NFC & Bluetooth? You could try it out & see how it fares..?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My Android 9 pie phone did not work with it but my I Phone 7 does however some android phones are compatible and some i phones are not as with IPhone you require I Phone 7 or above running IOS 11 or above.

Android Android: 8, 9, 10 is required plus a compatible phone

NFC is also a requirement.

https://freestyleserver.com/Payloads/IFU/2020/q2/ART39109-001_rev-J-Web.pdf

Sroll down for the English table of compatible devises.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
the one I'm using now is a samsung galaxy j5.
I think this one works just fine, I'm almost sure I've used it. Or maybe it was the J3? I've also used the Samsung S3 mini, which worked fine.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Chris & @Jaylee just tagged you on this on another thread from Chris :banghead:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry Chris & @Jaylee just tagged you on this on another thread from Chris :banghead:

Don't worry about it.. I had to do a double take on the other topic. :)

Back to this one. @chrisbug , I don't claim to be "phones 4 U guy."
had a dig about on my device. This what I use. This was a "flagship" phone back in the day.
I'm not in the habit of spending big bucks on something I can easily drop or be a swarf magnet at work... (Which incidentally is how my earlier A3 died.) there are a lot of cheap used phones floating about practically given away.

It scans the libre no problem. Also happily running Xdrip with the Miaomiao.

I'm not familiar with the J5 model you have but, if you have NFC & are able to download the Librelink app? That's how I initially started after a "punt" on a sensor.....

Screenshot_2020-11-04-19-49-46.png

Screenshot_2020-11-05-00-01-05.png

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Thanks for the responses, this j5 does have Bluetooth and NFC, so I may as well see if this phone works.
And cross the miao miao bridge when and if I come to it!

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi all,
I now have my Libre sensor up and running, all good so far!
And my Samsung Galaxy j5 works with it!

Reactions: sleepster

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
I now have my Libre sensor up and running, all good so far!
And my Samsung Galaxy j5 works with it!

Hello,

That's great news.

Is that using a Bluetooth bridge (Miaomiao.) or just scanning the sensor?
There is a neat little free app at the play store called "Glimp," that can be calibrated to your meter which works well if you are scanning?
Sometimes the Libre interpretation of BGs can be a little out?

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
Yes I have noticed the discrepancy you mention.
It's hard to NOT treat the sensor low reading, to get it out of the red!!
An even 4.1 on sensor is around 5.1 on BG meter!
Do I control my actual blood glucose or the sensor glucose? Regardless of that, it's pretty amazing being able to view what's going on overnight, filling in all those gaps.
I am using only my phone for scanning, I think I may well go MM in time, I will look into Glimp as well, thanks for the tip.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve got the iPhone XR works fine

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Yes I have noticed the discrepancy you mention.
It's hard to NOT treat the sensor low reading, to get it out of the red!!
An even 4.1 on sensor is around 5.1 on BG meter!
Do I control my actual blood glucose or the sensor glucose? Regardless of that, it's pretty amazing being able to view what's going on overnight, filling in all those gaps.
I am using only my phone for scanning, I think I may well go MM in time, I will look into Glimp as well, thanks for the tip.

I found Glimp in the early days of scanning great.
But on my phone with the Miaomiao2, Glimp was a little unstable regarding the connectivity, so I swiched to Xdrip?
Regarding dosing insulin & the hypo side of things. It's advisable to check with the meter. You may find the Libre a little slow to respond to the rise when treating hypos.. There is a little more lag than the BG meter, in that respect.
At least untill you get comfortable with how it works for you..

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi all,
Am new to the freestyle libre and loving it, I've treated myself to a miaomiao and ticwatch.
I've installed Tomato which seems to be fine on my phone, but the ticwatch hasn't updated the reading since initial set up.
Any suggestions as to how to rectify this?

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Am new to the freestyle libre and loving it, I've treated myself to a miaomiao and ticwatch.
I've installed Tomato which seems to be fine on my phone, but the ticwatch hasn't updated the reading since initial set up.
Any suggestions as to how to rectify this?

Hi,

I must admit to knowing very little about Ticwatch. I use a stand alone Watlaa. which pretty much had the "firmware" installed on the watch from the get go.

I think you would need the xDrip app to communicate with the Ticwatch.?

This vid might help you.?

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi, thanks for responses. I was being driven round the twist with the Tomato app. Uninstalled it on phone and watch and installed xdrip! What a difference, everything works great.
Now just need to set up some alarms, any recommendations with the best times to do calibration finger prick tests? And how often? Cheers

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for responses. I was being driven round the twist with the Tomato app. Uninstalled it on phone and watch and installed xdrip! What a difference, everything works great.
Now just need to set up some alarms, any recommendations with the best times to do calibration finger prick tests? And how often? Cheers

Hi,

Great news you got stuff working. It's a neat app.

Calibration. I normally check when I use the meter to check. Then count 3 or 4 dots back on Xdrip. (15/20 minutes back due to lag.) If you tap a dot on the graph it will show the BG level at that point in time..
I'm usually happy with the calibration within 0.6Mmol.
I normal check to calibrate in the morning. (I'm testing then anyway.) But checking whilst the arrow has been relitivly level pointing "East" & in range tends to set it right.. Before bed too. I still use my meter anyway, (especially bolusing & lows.)so it's easy to weigh it up with the readout on my watch.