We love our four-legged friends

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to put a watch on this thread:facepalm:
We have 2 black cats now 15 years old. The girl is suffering an allergic reaction, probably to a flea bite, so she gets scabs. The boy is very skinny but always has been. Other than that they are are pride and joy but do cause problems by sitting on my lap when I'm trying to post on here. :)

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 the shadow you mean? Yes, how come it's brown? That's a great effect @Cumberland and a sweet sweet pup.
@MrsA2 pics plz? I miss my black Jenny, three years gone now.
IMG_1604969530.226649.jpg

The silliest pose EVER but she really was just sitting there with her tongue sticking out by mistake!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 the shadow you mean? Yes, how come it's brown? That's a great effect @Cumberland and a sweet sweet pup.
I also think it's really cool the different colours of Wispa's shade match the dog's colours!
Oh, I just found out you have two different words where we have only one. Both your shadow and shade are our schaduw!
A bit like 'of' and 'from'. Both translate to 'van', which means we often make mistakes using those words in English :)
I love finding gems like this, and I wish people would let me know more often when I use a funny word or phrase but I guess everyone is too polite :D

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Antje77 I figure as long as we know what each other said, we're good (American phrase there-- how are you? Oh, I'm good! Or, Would you like some more wine? I'm good!-- in this case means no thank you. It drives me crazy because "no thank you" is a thing that used to be drilled into kids' little psyches.) It seems you like words as much as I do!
Very interesting-- "shade" as we use in US is actually a shadow of an object, but we say, I'm too hot, I think I'll go sit in the shade [of that tree, umbrella, building]. But we say, that tree casts a shadow, providing us with delicious cool shade! Are you confused yet?
Does Dutch have homophones?(I think that's right)-- words that sound alike but are spelled differently and mean different things? Through, threw. Their, there, they're (unless you are a very clear enunciator!) Mary, merry, marry. Although my 4th grade teacher said each of those differently and bugged us to as well.
I understand the of/from thing. Do you say "I have a piece "von" candy? Or is your grammar constructed more Germanic-wise-- Ich hab' ein bischen, ummmmm, candy ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It seems you like words as much as I do!
Yes, I love words and their quirks!
Very interesting-- "shade" as we use in US is actually a shadow of an object, but we say, I'm too hot, I think I'll go sit in the shade [of that tree, umbrella, building]. But we say, that tree casts a shadow, providing us with delicious cool shade! Are you confused yet?
Not confused at all, as I did some thinking on the word after your post and had reached the same conclusion. The word shade as in shades of blue has an altogether different meanting and is translated as a different word (tint) in Dutch too.
I also concluded Wispa's shadow would have been called shade if a flea had chosen to sit there, so I wasn't all wrong :hilarious: The flea could even have chosen its favourite shade of brown of the shade it was enjoying, if the shadow would have been cast by sunlight instead of lamplight. I don't think you can call it shade when it's a shadow cast by anything other than something blocking the sun, is that right?
Does Dutch have homophones?
English is a nightmare with all it's homophones! we have way less of them. It was even a Dutchman, Gerard Nolst Trenité, who in the 1920's or so wrote a very long poem on the ridiculousness of English spelling. It's called The Chaos, please look it up (and read it out loud!) if you don't already know it. You'll love it! Make sure you find the full version :)
Do you say "I have a piece "von" candy? Or is your grammar constructed more Germanic-wise--- Ich hab' ein bischen, ummmmm, candy
Ik heb een snoepje! (I have a 'candy', or I have a sweet) No pieces involved. If it's candy like chocolate, of which you break off pieces (as opposed to ready made pieces of candy which are snoepjes) we say 'Ik heb een stukje chocola' (I have a piece chocolate), still no of or van involved.
I think in your German sentence, having ein bischen candy means 'I have some candy', implying you have more than one piece. But yes, in general our grammar is a close cousin to its German neighbour :)

Good thing this thread is already in general chat or you'd have to keep starting shadow threads!
To try to keep a semblance of on-topicness I'll try to post a link to a video of my two dogs having a fight in my pullover this afternoon. It's a big pullover, I was in it as well :D
Hope the link works.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I think your English is amazingly good.

I will try to get pics of the cats but this device doesn't sync with my phone. Give me time for a lesson in tech from a youngster....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I think your English is amazingly good.

I will try to get pics of the cats but this device doesn't sync with my phone. Give me time for a lesson in tech from a youngster....
Thank you! I know it's pretty good, although I also know it's nowhere near perfect, which is fine :)
The reason it's pretty good is mainly loving language and being curious as to how it works and finding the differences between languages. Making mistakes is the best way to learn more.

Looking forward to your pictures, once you've figured out how to post them!

Reactions: zauberflote

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our two, although twins, are not often in the same space for a photo,, so this is best try. Boy cat is top cat, bottom cat is sleeping girl. Usual position for both of them :)
1605117344964_20200319_173225.jpg

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I love words and their quirks!

Not confused at all, as I did some thinking on the word after your post and had reached the same conclusion. The word shade as in shades of blue has an altogether different meanting and is translated as a different word (tint) in Dutch too.
I also concluded Wispa's shadow would have been called shade if a flea had chosen to sit there, so I wasn't all wrong :hilarious: The flea could even have chosen its favourite shade of brown of the shade it was enjoying, if the shadow would have been cast by sunlight instead of lamplight. I don't think you can call it shade when it's a shadow cast by anything other than something blocking the sun, is that right?
Whew, you are GOOD!!!! I never thought about your last question. I think you're right, but if I were under some blazing hot lamps (maybe for filming something?) I might jokingly say I would go sit over here in the shady backstage. This may be something that depends on how hot the sun is where the speaker lives! Shade to me implies that I'll be cooler in it. So there we have connotations... oy! Fun!

English is a nightmare with all it's homophones! we have way less of them. It was even a Dutchman, Gerard Nolst Trenité, who in the 1920's or so wrote a very long poem on the ridiculousness of English spelling. It's called The Chaos, please look it up (and read it out loud!) if you don't already know it. You'll love it! Make sure you find the full version :)
I read it all the way to the final asterisk, which would have made me laugh out loud if the baby weren't asleep! That was a labor of love. I will tell you that most folks now 40 or below will not know half those words. Education ain't what it used to be....

Ik heb een snoepje! (I have a 'candy', or I have a sweet) No pieces involved. If it's candy like chocolate, of which you break off pieces (as opposed to ready made pieces of candy which are snoepjes) we say 'Ik heb een stukje chocola' (I have a piece chocolate), still no of or van involved.
I think in your German sentence, having ein bischen candy means 'I have some candy', implying you have more than one piece. But yes, in general our grammar is a close cousin to its German neighbour
I am going to go with your German there-- it's been since 1975 that I studied it....I did, however, manage to speak German in Germany once! I got lost on a jog off the cruise ship, and I told a cop ungrammatically "Ich habe meine schiff verloren" and he took it from there!

Good thing this thread is already in general chat or you'd have to keep starting shadow threads!

To try to keep a semblance of on-topicness
This IS on topic! It's general chat!!

I'll try to post a link to a video of my two dogs having a fight in my pullover this afternoon. It's a big pullover, I was in it as well :D
Hope the link works.

Going to have to go back to original post to see if the photo worked!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@MrsA2 oh what elegant felines!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Oops @Antje77 I thought I was in the other thread

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
I have 2 dog children. Love them to bits!

Attachments

• A4F6366F-99DD-4D7C-9C57-6C30AFBA6C90.jpeg
    A4F6366F-99DD-4D7C-9C57-6C30AFBA6C90.jpeg
    917.8 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: MrsA2 and Antje77