Medtronic 780g

Nickers

Hello all, I’ve been Type 1 for 27 years diagnosed at 12. I’ve been having a few issues with highs and lows lately and my HBa1C isn’t the best atm so after speaking with my consultant he has suggested going on to the Medtronic 780g insulin pump. I’m currently on novo rapid injections and Tresiba long acting.
I’m just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on insulin pumps, I’m very nervous about it but feel the time is right as I need to get my sugars under good control, I like hot baths every night as I have RLS so that helps but curios that I will have to disconnect when I’m the bath due to the heat and etc. Did others find pumps help them from changing from injections?
Thanks for the information and support.
Nichola

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning Nickers

I have recently started on the Medtronic 670g. You can disconnect the pump for bathing and showering. On the Medtronic website they have a waterproof bag which you could also use.
I am pleased that I made the choice to go onto the pump, it has made a difference. I too was nervous but have had good support from the pump team locally. The main issue for me is filling the reservoir on the pump, I have arthritis in my hands which make this difficult

Good luck with your decision

Reactions: Olihill99

Nickers

Morning Nickers

I have recently started on the Medtronic 670g. You can disconnect the pump for bathing and showering. On the Medtronic website they have a waterproof bag which you could also use.
I am pleased that I made the choice to go onto the pump, it has made a difference. I too was nervous but have had good support from the pump team locally. The main issue for me is filling the reservoir on the pump, I have arthritis in my hands which make this difficult

Good luck with your decision

Thank you so much for this really helps.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
I used to be terrible with long acting basal insulins. Sometimes they’d work to quick. And once they are in you they cannot be altered. Basal adjustments with a pump were easier and more teal time.

Somedays I dread my pump. We wear these things all the time. Sleeping on it is a pain. But sleeping directly on the infusion set is a bigger pain. But, not doing injections is really a positive thing- the pump is always there.

I would say for me the most important thing you need to consider for a pump is the interface to your body. This is called the infusion set. I would strongly suggest trying many options out. To me the infusion set is important. It’ll “make” the pump, or make you fail at pumping. In my pump beginning I spent the least time in choosing an infusion set, and it was a major problem for me. Only afterwards did I realize I needed to know about other choices. I think about my infusion set many times per day- where it is, how it feels, and how well it’s working.

Nickers

I used to be terrible with long acting basal insulins. Sometimes they’d work to quick. And once they are in you they cannot be altered. Basal adjustments with a pump were easier and more teal time.

Somedays I dread my pump. We wear these things all the time. Sleeping on it is a pain. But sleeping directly on the infusion set is a bigger pain. But, not doing injections is really a positive thing- the pump is always there.

I would say for me the most important thing you need to consider for a pump is the interface to your body. This is called the infusion set. I would strongly suggest trying many options out. To me the infusion set is important. It’ll “make” the pump, or make you fail at pumping. In my pump beginning I spent the least time in choosing an infusion set, and it was a major problem for me. Only afterwards did I realize I needed to know about other choices. I think about my infusion set many times per day- where it is, how it feels, and how well it’s working.

Thanks for this, my consultant has suggested the Medtronic 780g so I’m presuming that it comes with only the one infusion set? I’m not sure as never had a pump before at all so it’s all totally brand new to me. I didn’t realise I there were options out there when it comes to infusion sets.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nickers I hope this works, these are the infusion sets that work with the 780g https://shop.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/view/category/uk_product_b2c/InfusionSets?query=:text:category:pumpSupplies:compatiblePumpModel:MiniMed™ 780G&sort=name_up you can click on the different options to see more info.
I think the one most people start with is the Mio 6mm cannula (that's what everyone started with at my training) and that's what I've continued to use for 8 years as I've had no problems with it. I hope that doesn't worry you with all the options, trying to work out which to pick :nailbiting: your team will have decided for you and you'll get some with your pump. If the ones they have picked (most likely the Mio) work for you then that's fine, if they're not working for you then you can explore the other options available

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
@Nickers you’ve got a lot of options for infusion sets. Way more than 1. @sleepster ’s post has the link to the mm website for infusion set options. Everyone is different which is why there are so many choices. And know this, if you choose something that doesn’t work, just choose something else.

I started with a 90 set that was easy to put in. A quickset. They popped in fast! And I was nervous at first with this new pump thing. I thought these would be easy. I failed with them quickly- my skin was too thin and my body was too muscular. The cannula on this one often bent over and kinked. Sometimes very quickly.

I tried everything in the infusion set lineup. I wanted something easy, and not intimidating. The one that seemed to work the best for me was the most intimidating to me. I use a 13mm silhouette. I push them in by hand, so I control the angle. Now that I understand why I need them, they are pretty easy.

I did get help from someone at a time where it wasn’t common. I got help from another pump user with infusion sets when I was ready to just give up on pumping. Too many infusion set failures and issues. This person was just another pump user. But the key was that she had experience. She said to try the silhouette, and showed me how to put it in. I am extremely thankful for that guidance. It made a difference to me, which is why I always offer to help anyone. Especially when talking about infusion sets.

Nickers

@Nickers I hope this works, these are the infusion sets that work with the 780g https://shop.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/view/category/uk_product_b2c/InfusionSets?query=:text:category:pumpSupplies:compatiblePumpModel:MiniMed 780G&sort=name_up you can click on the different options to see more info.
I think the one most people start with is the Mio 6mm cannula (that's what everyone started with at my training) and that's what I've continued to use for 8 years as I've had no problems with it. I hope that doesn't worry you with all the options, trying to work out which to pick :nailbiting: your team will have decided for you and you'll get some with your pump. If the ones they have picked (most likely the Mio) work for you then that's fine, if they're not working for you then you can explore the other options available

That’s lovely thanks so much I’m going to take a look at them now.
Do you have the 780g?
Thanks

Reactions: sleepster

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That’s lovely thanks so much I’m going to take a look at them now.
Do you have the 780g?
Thanks
I have a 640g with a warranty that's almost expired and then I'm getting another 640g, my clinic isn't offering the 780g, just the 640g or if you have cgm funding you can have the 670g

Nickers

I have a 640g with a warranty that's almost expired and then I'm getting another 640g, my clinic isn't offering the 780g, just the 640g or if you have cgm funding you can have the 670g

Ah right I see, have you had many problems with your pump? Also has it helped you with your levels?
Thanks

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did have a cracked pump earlier this year, so had to get it replaced. Not too many other problems though.
The reason I got the pump was I lost my hypo awareness, which was causing problems and the pump has helped with that, but my hba1cs were better pre-pump. I know most people had to do the DAFNE course before they were even considered for a pump but at my clinic that wasn't a requirement so I've never done it, I feel that if I had done one my control would be better. I moved hospitals since I got my pump as they were happy to give pumps out but aside from the pump training I had no other education and I never saw a dietitian, they generally were not very helpful. I moved hospitals earlier this year but covid has prevented me from being able to do DAFNE!
I promise I'm not trying to put you off, pumps are amazing if you know what you're doing :D

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also just to say, my hba1cs were better pre-pump, but at the same time I got my pump a lot of other stuff changed in my life, so I can't say it's the pumps fault. But I still think my control would be better if I could do DAFNE or another course, when I started on MDI it was 2003 and my carb counting training was 3 photos of food and guessing how many carbs there were and I've never done any other carb counting stuff. I definitely struggle with how fat, protein etc affects BG spikes because I've never been given any guidance on that sort of thing.

Nickers

Also just to say, my hba1cs were better pre-pump, but at the same time I got my pump a lot of other stuff changed in my life, so I can't say it's the pumps fault. But I still think my control would be better if I could do DAFNE or another course, when I started on MDI it was 2003 and my carb counting training was 3 photos of food and guessing how many carbs there were and I've never done any other carb counting stuff. I definitely struggle with how fat, protein etc affects BG spikes because I've never been given any guidance on that sort of thing.

That’s okay don’t worry you’ve not put me off, it’s a lot for me to take in with the decision on getting a pump. My HBA1C isn’t very good atm it needs to come down, but my consultant says it’s more about how much time I’m spending in target that’s the issue atm it’s only 49% where as others who have the pump it’s more nearer 85%.
It’s a huge step but I feel it hopefully will give me better control.
Good luck with the DAFNE course I’ve done it but was a fair few years ago tbh could do with an update. I have the carbs and Cals app not sure if you have it as that helps me when not sure of what carbs are in certain foods.

Reactions: sleepster

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, I have the carbs and cals book and I did the Bertie online course, it's more the absorption of the carbs I think and timing the insulin so I don't get massive spikes. I used to be able to eat anything and my bloods were fine, now it seems like there's more and more foods that just aren't worth the hassle because I don't know how my BG will react. Never mind.
I'm glad I haven't put you off :D

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi nickers, just wondering if you got your 780G? I’ve just had email confirmation last week that I’ll be getting mine on the 7th of January. I’m 26 now, been diabetic since I was 13. I did have a pump when I was 14/15 but I was a terrible diabetic as a teenage and didn’t use it so I went back onto injections.

Nickers

Hi nickers, just wondering if you got your 780G? I’ve just had email confirmation last week that I’ll be getting mine on the 7th of January. I’m 26 now, been diabetic since I was 13. I did have a pump when I was 14/15 but I was a terrible diabetic as a teenage and didn’t use it so I went back onto injections.

Hey no I haven’t got it yet, but had confirmation that I’m starting my training on the 21st of January so that great! That’s great news about yours must keep us updated how your getting on with it.

Reactions: Maco
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I too have had a conversation with my consultant today about the Medtronic 780g pump and looking for some insights pros and cons of an insulin pump. I’ve been diagnosed 4 years and really struggle keeping my bloods stable. Currently my HBA1C is 137 so have a lot of work to do and just completed BERTIE to help me start calculating my Carbs. I’m in weekly contact with my consultant at the minute as things have really spiralled since I lost my mum a few months ago. So any help from people using this pump or any pump will be great