Covid lockdowns/restrictions and diabetes.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Here in Australia, one of our states (South Australia) has just started a covid lockdown (albeit fairly brief for now) that bans *any* outdoor exercise! The frustrating thing is that at the same time they are explicitly allowing people to go out to buy alcohol (because that is apparently essential for some people's mental health), but exercise is a no go.

It's frustrating that they seem to be unaware that thousands of diabetics, particularly (but not elusively) T2D rely on exercise to help manage their BGL every day.

I'm not totally familiar with how this has been implemented in different parts of the world, but I think it's been something of a common theme in a lot of places where lockdowns have occurred, severe restrictions on outdoor activities. Yet Covid has very much been shown to be a risk in indoor areas where a large amount of people congregate, and close to zero risk in sparsely populated outdoor areas.

Has anyone else here been in the position where the exercise that they use to manage their diabetes has been banned, even in outdoor areas where there are few people and lots of space, so basically zero risk.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's ridiculous what they are doing, banning outdoor exercise where you are exposed to vitD that enhances the immune system and improves a persons chance of fighting covid if they were to get it, but oh yeah, drink up. It's more like Martial law imo. This isn't the Ebola virus, but governments sure are acting like it is.

I feel for anyone that is in a unit or flat or house without a backyard to use because you are stuck inside. And for who knows how long.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Here in Australia, one of our states (South Australia) has just started a covid lockdown (albeit fairly brief for now) that bans *any* outdoor exercise! The frustrating thing is that at the same time they are explicitly allowing people to go out to buy alcohol (because that is apparently essential for some people's mental health), but exercise is a no go.

It's frustrating that they seem to be unaware that thousands of diabetics, particularly (but not elusively) T2D rely on exercise to help manage their BGL every day.

I'm not totally familiar with how this has been implemented in different parts of the world, but I think it's been something of a common theme in a lot of places where lockdowns have occurred, severe restrictions on outdoor activities. Yet Covid has very much been shown to be a risk in indoor areas where a large amount of people congregate, and close to zero risk in sparsely populated outdoor areas.

Has anyone else here been in the position where the exercise that they use to manage their diabetes has been banned, even in outdoor areas where there are few people and lots of space, so basically zero risk.

Here in the UK we are in Lockdown 2 which doesn't stop us exercsing out of doors but does mean gyms are closed. The point is that it is Winter here and so my clients are taking advantage of home based indoor workouts. Loads of free ones on YouTube or via providers like Les Mills.
It is of course ludicrous not to be allowed out to exercise in your Summer and with such a tiny virus prevalence. Totally bonkers but having seen what Victorian police were capable of, I can't recommend civil disobedience!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

What about dog walking? If you don't have a garden that would be a problem.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What about dog walking? If you don't have a garden that would be a problem.
There was a tweet from South Australia Police earlier that said walking the dog was banned.. however it now appears to have gone so I'm hoping they were proved wrong. Completely ridiculous and likely based or flawed PCR tests once again.
Looks like the last Oz death was some time in October.. and with a grand total of 907 across the entire country one does wonder if they may be a tad OTT.

Reactions: oldgreymare

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a tweet from South Australia Police earlier that said walking the dog was banned.. however it now appears to have gone so I'm hoping they were proved wrong. Completely ridiculous and likely based or flawed PCR tests once again.
Looks like the last Oz death was some time in October.. and with a grand total of 907 across the entire country one does wonder if they may be a tad OTT.
Then again here it is.. what a sad day.
Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 19.39.53.png

https://twitter.com/SAPoliceNews/status/1328946386071654408

Some of the replies are at least sensible...

Hotpepper20000

Then again here it is.. what a sad day.View attachment 45528

https://twitter.com/SAPoliceNews/status/1328946386071654408

Some of the replies are at least sensible...
Wow. We are facing tighter restrictions here as well. I just hope it doesn’t come down to this.
We have had a mandatory mask law any public indoor place since August 28 and still have a spike and the highest number of cases since it started. All school children and staff are wearing mask.
Logic would say that the masks aren’t working.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow. We are facing tighter restrictions here as well. I just hope it doesn’t come down to this.
We have had a mandatory mask law any public indoor place since August 28 and still have a spike and the highest number of cases since it started. All school children and staff are wearing mask.
Logic would say that the masks aren’t working.
But when has logic ever been used where this "deadly pandemic" is under consideration.