Eggs. Oh!

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
From Australian researchers........ One egg a day raises the risk of diabetes by 60%

My guess is that the researchers were mechanical engineers.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is a non "Daily Fail" link: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201115101249.htm

"Over the past few decades China has undergone a substantial nutritional transition that's seen many people move away from a traditional diet comprising grains and vegetables, to a more processed diet that includes greater amounts of meat, snacks and energy-dense food.

"At the same time, egg consumption has also been steadily increasing; from 1991 to 2009, the number of people eating eggs in China nearly doubled*.

So clearly a correlation but not necessarily a causation.

The most likely explanation is that an increasingly non traditional diet (with processed snacks) is correlated with increased rates of diabetes. And incidentally, that an increasingly non traditional diet is correlated greater egg consumption. None of this would imply any causal relationship between egg consumption and diabetes.

Studies like this really that focus on a single food item and correlations that are most likely not even causal are just a waste of time. The unfortunate fact however, is that a lot of people don't understand this and are unnecessarily frightened or misled by them.

Last edited:

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
I believe my blood test results over and above any "experts". I eat usually 20 eggs a week, am in remission from T2, cholesterol and lipids ideal, and all other bits and bobs within range.
As someone also in remission and fond of eggs, I am very relieved to hear of people like you. For the last week, I had been minimizing the number of eggs I eat, but I'll have an omlette this evening after all. Thanks for your posting.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Well, just for giggles... I have 9 eggs a day,. So you can do the math on that if you want to.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Eggs 3, milk, nutmeg, stevia, 3 slices of 1g/slice bread.
Yep, a version of bread pudding.
Just added a big dollop of double cream to round it off.
My wife had appalling acid reflux but I slept like a log!

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What is your preferred way to prepare the eggs .?.
Myself I prefer soft boiled, for breakfast.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon

Mostly scrambled... but sometimes I'll go all crazy and just go pan fried, so I can stab them and dip steak in the gooey yolk.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I also have a very large soft boiled egg for breakfast, every day. I still remember the slogan "go to work on an egg". Not that I go to work. I also have hard boiled eggs with mayo at lunch times and of course fried eggs with fry ups. I also love them poached. I am not at all keen on scrambled and I dislike omelets.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do mainly scrambled or omelette, but thats because I like to dip something into yolks of fried or boiled and hate the yolk just flowing onto the plate.
Anyone any good ideas what I can dip or have runny eggs on? I don't do bread, even in lc form

Hotpepper20000

I do mainly scrambled or omelette, but thats because I like to dip something into yolks of fried or boiled and hate the yolk just flowing onto the plate.
Anyone any good ideas what I can dip or have runny eggs on? I don't do bread, even in lc form
Bacon?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Halloumi fries. Or a slice of grilled halloumi.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't much care for eggs but I do believe they are nice neat little nutritional packages, so most of mine go incognito into baked stuff - muffins, low carb "bread", crustless quiche etc, instead.

Like @Bluetit1802 I also remember "go to work on an egg" - somewhere along the way I think we lost the plot over having decent breakfasts, though for much of my life I've never been a great breakfast eater...o_O

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MrsA2 maybe we could do swapsies: you can have my eggs and I'll have your bacon??

(One of the things I resented most about low carb was I could no longer justify my dip butties with my bacon...:bigtears:)

Reactions: MrsA2

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice idea! Can they be made thin enough to dip in boiled egg? If so, how?

I would have thought so, although I’ve never tried. I take a block of halloumi, and slice it into 3 along the narrow edge, to give 3 oblongs then slice the oblongs into ‘chips’. Then they can be air fried or grilled or fried. I tend to wrap the chips in bacon and then air fry, which is also delicious.

Reactions: MrsA2 and Speedbird