I’m so fed up with my Diabetes

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m sorry about the title but that’s how I feel at the moment.
My blood sugars are going up all the time and not coming down, the the insulin doses are increasing all the time but it’s not doing anything to help my high Blood Sugars! My HBA1c 6 mths ago was 71, 3 mths ago was 68 and the other week was 70.
I feel like I might as well not bother eating anything these days, this morning I had bacon and eggs for breakfast and 1 hour afterwards my BS was 17.8! Last night I had salad with pork belly bites and 1 hr afterwards it was 14.9!
Typically I eat either bacon & eggs for brekkie or coconut yogurt with a few berries, lunch will either be a homemade soup or a sort of ploughman’s picky plate of cheese, ham & a few pickles and dinner is usually meat/ occasionally fish and some veggies.
Even though I know my sugars are high, my DSN just tells me to keep upping the insulin but I feel she isn’t listening to me that I don’t think it’s working.
They don’t like the diet I follow and don’t support it, and are constantly telling me I can have cereal for breakfast, it’s okay to eat a sandwich and have potatoes with my dinner, except to my body I might as well eat pure sugar!
How would I know if I’m insulin resistant and therefore no amount of upping the units is going to help?
Has anyone else got any other suggestions on lowering sugars, I’m going for long walks already and drinking lots of water.
If anyone has any other suggestions I’m open to new ideas.
Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Yep, it's always easier said the done with a DSN, sometimes.

What medications are you currently prescribed for your diabetes.?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you ever had a c-peptide test or an endogenous insulin test?

If you are getting the figures you are seeing whilst eating low carb and taking insulin I'd be guessing at a misdiagnosis of T2.

Far more likely that you are one of the T1 variants.

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently take for my diabetes 16 units of Humalin I in the morning, 44 units of Humalin I in the evening, 2000g of Metformin Daily and 120g of Gliclazide 3 times a day, it sounds a right concoction!
Never had a C-Peptide test or endogenous insulin test, just told 20 years ago your a type 2 and get on with it, it’s only been in the last 2 years that things haven’t been great, so I did change my diet from advice given on here then, but it’s no longer helping.
I don’t even know if this insulin doesn’t work for me and a different make might, as the DSN has said all insulin’s are the same and this is what we give Type 2’s! I also can’t take the newer medicines for Type 2 due to allergic reactions.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently take for my diabetes 16 units of Humalin I in the morning, 44 units of Humalin I in the evening, 2000g of Metformin Daily and 120g of Gliclazide 3 times a day, it sounds a right concoction!
Never had a C-Peptide test or endogenous insulin test, just told 20 years ago your a type 2 and get on with it, it’s only been in the last 2 years that things haven’t been great, so I did change my diet from advice given on here then, but it’s no longer helping.
I don’t even know if this insulin doesn’t work for me and a different make might, as the DSN has said all insulin’s are the same and this is what we give Type 2’s! I also can’t take the newer medicines for Type 2 due to allergic reactions.

Hi again,

No, not all insulins are the same. Different types have different working profiles..

I've heard of T2s prescribed other insulin types, which is documented on this forum. (Regarding their med list. Either on profile or during discussion on thread.)

What numbers were you seeing prior to eating your meals?

mrpaulgee

I'm also fed up - sorry I cannot offer any solution, but perhaps assurance you're not the only one. I was diagnosed type 2 18 months ago. I have a history in my family, but my GP considered it punishment for years of wilfully abusing my health (I walk 5-10 miles every day, am about 2 stone over my ideal weight, and mostly follow a strict and healthy diet). I since switched to a different surgery. Some doctors are brilliant, but some will kill you (and mostly get away with it).

The pandemic meant my care dried up but has just started again. My HbA1c was about 7 a year ago, but had risen to nearly 11 on latest measure. Also high white blood cell count. I've been taking medication (Metformin 2g, Empagliflozin 10mg daily - just upped to 25mg on last visit). I honestly feel no ill effects if I don't take it, or positive effects if I do take it.

I was asked about my exercise and said I do so intensively. The (new) GP started questioning this and I said I'm doing at least 5 miles a day. She said it's not intensive enough, and I disagreed. I'm much fitter now than when I started doing so, so to get out of breath I'm having to do well in excess of 4mph which is almost jogging speed. Unfortunately jogging or running is not an option as I'm arthritic. Her suggestion was to jog slower! What does that possible achieve? I'm fit enough to run but my joints won't take it. I just don't think GPs listen. On my medical notes it says I 'claim' to walk 4 miles a day. This is far lower than my actual tally.

They suggested I might have to move onto Insulin. I have deciced I would rather die than do this. I cannot believe that people are still having to fart around with injections. Also if I'm diagnosed as type 2 then I'm surely not type 1. The two types are so different they shouldn't even be given the same label.

I have a follow up HbA1c in a week and will see if the levels have dropped. Also I'm expecting substantial weight loss, on the basis of my diet and exercise. I should be shedding around 20kg a year minimum. But on the last check I'd lost just 2kg in 18 months! I'm also convinced therefore that diabetic medication causes weight gain, which is why most diabetics are very overweight. Some become diabetic because of poor diet, but you never see one who's now thin. Makes you wonder what the medication does to the body.

Unless I see substantial results I shall be coming off the medication. I have little faith in doctors, who largely base their judgeent on unproven science. I cannot believe they are still recommending Weight Watchers to people. Shows how little they know about the way the body works. As a child I was forced onto every fad, calorie-based diet, and NONE ever worked. The only one that did was the Montignac Method (low carb). But this is based on going into ketosis. Diabetic mecication ensures the body doesn't do that. So I have to conclude I can onlyl lose weight by starving myself or quitting the meds.

Anyway, bless you for your predicament. You are NOT alone.

Reactions: Rachel_H

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take humulin I because I am on steroids. I take at the same time as the steroids as they both kick in at the same time. I then use novorapid for corrections.

I would press for the tests mentioned above. You really do need to test for T1 or variants.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I'm also fed up - sorry I cannot offer any solution, but perhaps assurance you're not the only one. I was diagnosed type 2 18 months ago. I have a history in my family, but my GP considered it punishment for years of wilfully abusing my health (I walk 5-10 miles every day, am about 2 stone over my ideal weight, and mostly follow a strict and healthy diet). I since switched to a different surgery. Some doctors are brilliant, but some will kill you (and mostly get away with it).

The pandemic meant my care dried up but has just started again. My HbA1c was about 7 a year ago, but had risen to nearly 11 on latest measure. Also high white blood cell count. I've been taking medication (Metformin 2g, Empagliflozin 10mg daily - just upped to 25mg on last visit). I honestly feel no ill effects if I don't take it, or positive effects if I do take it.

I was asked about my exercise and said I do so intensively. The (new) GP started questioning this and I said I'm doing at least 5 miles a day. She said it's not intensive enough, and I disagreed. I'm much fitter now than when I started doing so, so to get out of breath I'm having to do well in excess of 4mph which is almost jogging speed. Unfortunately jogging or running is not an option as I'm arthritic. Her suggestion was to jog slower! What does that possible achieve? I'm fit enough to run but my joints won't take it. I just don't think GPs listen. On my medical notes it says I 'claim' to walk 4 miles a day. This is far lower than my actual tally.

They suggested I might have to move onto Insulin. I have deciced I would rather die than do this. I cannot believe that people are still having to fart around with injections. Also if I'm diagnosed as type 2 then I'm surely not type 1. The two types are so different they shouldn't even be given the same label.

I have a follow up HbA1c in a week and will see if the levels have dropped. Also I'm expecting substantial weight loss, on the basis of my diet and exercise. I should be shedding around 20kg a year minimum. But on the last check I'd lost just 2kg in 18 months! I'm also convinced therefore that diabetic medication causes weight gain, which is why most diabetics are very overweight. Some become diabetic because of poor diet, but you never see one who's now thin. Makes you wonder what the medication does to the body.

Unless I see substantial results I shall be coming off the medication. I have little faith in doctors, who largely base their judgeent on unproven science. I cannot believe they are still recommending Weight Watchers to people. Shows how little they know about the way the body works. As a child I was forced onto every fad, calorie-based diet, and NONE ever worked. The only one that did was the Montignac Method (low carb). But this is based on going into ketosis. Diabetic mecication ensures the body doesn't do that. So I have to conclude I can onlyl lose weight by starving myself or quitting the meds.

Hi, I am so sorry that you feel unsupported and fed up. You say that you eat a healthy and strict diet as well as exercising every day. Would you be willing to share what you would eat on a typical day? (Not Xmas!)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
I have no option but to faff about with daily jabs.. ;)

I agree we can't all be "Steve Cram." :banghead:

Do you have access to a blood glucose monitor?

fiona35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it’s nice to know you can blow off steam on here as my own family don’t understand my frustrations and it makes you feel less alone with your woes.
Pre meal readings range from between 10 and 14, very occasionally it might be 8 before a meal but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pre meal reading lower than that and I’m pretty sure that it should be around 4 to 5 before meals and about 6 after meals.
I’ll contact my DSN and ask about those blood tests you’ve mentioned and also ask if there might be a more suitable insulin to take, it’s time to be a little forceful when I have my appts instead of a quick 5 min phone call and brushed under the carpet.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always try to prepare a few questions before my telephone appointment & if I want something I have a ready made argument.

6 months after diagnosis my type is still under investigation. At first they said 98% T1, then no antibodies were present so said T2, when I pushed back they agreed to more tests. C peptide was inconclusive & my next consultant appointment is delayed by missing blood tests. So my records currently just say ‘insulin dependant diabetic’ and I identify as T1.

Anyway my point is you know enough to see that this course of treatment is not working for you despite your best efforts, your nurse is acting as a gatekeeper & you might need to leap over that gate if she’s unwilling to open it for you. Ask to be referred to a consultant, get the antibody tests & c-peptide just to rule out T1, the results will give you more information either way. If she doesn’t do this you can self refer by contacting the patient liaison service (PALs) at your local hospital, request a second opinion & work from there.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you everyone for your kind comments, it’s nice to know you can blow off steam on here as my own family don’t understand my frustrations and it makes you feel less alone with your woes.
Pre meal readings range from between 10 and 14, very occasionally it might be 8 before a meal but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a pre meal reading lower than that and I’m pretty sure that it should be around 4 to 5 before meals and about 6 after meals.
I’ll contact my DSN and ask about those blood tests you’ve mentioned and also ask if there might be a more suitable insulin to take, it’s time to be a little forceful when I have my appts instead of a quick 5 min phone call and brushed under the carpet.

It certainly looks like you're flying too high with the fasting levels to start with,
then (from your initial post.) The effects on BG with the diet are having the effect you could expect. I personally would point the finger at your background fasting BG level.?

Take comfort, :) from what i read with your after dinner readings. Your meal choice to me does not look the "issue.." (Though it would be interesting to see BGs 2 hours later.)

Your DSN needs to get her act together.. (Also empathised these are interesting & challenging times for our HCPs.)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diabetic mecication ensures the body doesn't do that. So I have to conclude I can onlyl lose weight by starving myself or quitting the meds.
Metformin and ketosis are certainly compatible I'm guessing the advice not to get into ketosis when taking Empagliflozin is due to the possibility of hypos.. maybe suggest a couple of months of trying ultra low carb to your doc and stop taking it?

mrpaulgee

Hi, I am so sorry that you feel unsupported and fed up. You say that you eat a healthy and strict diet as well as exercising every day. Would you be willing to share what you would eat on a typical day? (Not Xmas!)

My only routine meal is breakfast:

Usually I start with a carbohydrate breakfast, like greek yoghurt with berry fruit, or porridge with half water - half semi skimmed milk, and a teaspoon of sugar free syrup.

Lunch could be protein like some chicken or chilli con carne, with veg or rice. Maybe a sandwich instead

Evening meal usually some soup and maybe a pack of dried noodles. Or a roast if lunch was light, but usually I have a lighter evening meal around 6-7pm.

Late night indulgance could be more porridge or wholewheat crackers with topping such as cream cheese or hummous.

mrpaulgee

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
I have no option but to faff about with daily jabs.. ;)

I agree we can't all be "Steve Cram." :banghead:

Do you have access to a blood glucose monitor?

Hi, I used to do the finger jab tests meticulously. But my original GP just threw my efforts in the bin saying she's only interested in morning and evening measures. Then I discovered the HbA1c which seems to be a better measure as not prone to time of day variations, and my own competence at taking a reading. The Gp also said the jab test is mainly to check that I'm not in hypo, and confirmed it's quite unlikely which I'd have to agree (until the levels reach normal).

I left the meter on a train accidentally, but didn't feel urgent need to replace it, as it's just monitoring and the medication isn't based upon it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I used to do the finger jab tests meticulously. But my original GP just threw my efforts in the bin saying she's only interested in morning and evening measures. Then I discovered the HbA1c which seems to be a better measure as not prone to time of day variations, and my own competence at taking a reading. The Gp also said the jab test is mainly to check that I'm not in hypo, and confirmed it's quite unlikely which I'd have to agree (until the levels reach normal).

I left the meter on a train accidentally, but didn't feel urgent need to replace it, as it's just monitoring and the medication isn't based upon it.

I'm not sure if you are a driver. I'll draw this analogy.

The HbA1c check is like an average speed check on the motorway?
Finger prick testing is like a speed camera which can be used anywhere on the journey. You may be surprised how that breakfast or sandwich affects your BG, & possibly how your meds or metabolism deal with it?
Don't get me mentioning "CGM." It's like owning a "dash cam" & actually paying attention to the speedo fitted to the vehicle??

I see an HbA1c test a little like a fine & 3 points dropping through the letterbox if you have no way of Knowing what acceptable "speed" you were doing..

Your Doc expresses some interesting logic.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

The readings should be for you not your GP.
She doesn't have your diabetes you do.
I'd heartily suggest getting a new (cheap to run meter like the Tee2) and start testing.
Some of your meals , especially your breakfasts, may well be causing some spikes which it would be better to avoid. Bacon and eggs are probably best there.
Cut down on all starchy food of whatever colour and try to reduce the meds.
If you have a few excess pounds to lose low carbing will likely work there too... ketosis probably even better.

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
I’m sorry about the title but that’s how I feel at the moment.
My blood sugars are going up all the time and not coming down, the the insulin doses are increasing all the time but it’s not doing anything to help my high Blood Sugars! My HBA1c 6 mths ago was 71, 3 mths ago was 68 and the other week was 70.
I feel like I might as well not bother eating anything these days, this morning I had bacon and eggs for breakfast and 1 hour afterwards my BS was 17.8! Last night I had salad with pork belly bites and 1 hr afterwards it was 14.9!
Typically I eat either bacon & eggs for brekkie or coconut yogurt with a few berries, lunch will either be a homemade soup or a sort of ploughman’s picky plate of cheese, ham & a few pickles and dinner is usually meat/ occasionally fish and some veggies.
Even though I know my sugars are high, my DSN just tells me to keep upping the insulin but I feel she isn’t listening to me that I don’t think it’s working.
They don’t like the diet I follow and don’t support it, and are constantly telling me I can have cereal for breakfast, it’s okay to eat a sandwich and have potatoes with my dinner, except to my body I might as well eat pure sugar!
How would I know if I’m insulin resistant and therefore no amount of upping the units is going to help?
Has anyone else got any other suggestions on lowering sugars, I’m going for long walks already and drinking lots of water.
If anyone has any other suggestions I’m open to new ideas.
Thanks

Hi, sorry to here this, sugars do go up and down, your body might like some foods more than others... don’t thin Turkey agreed with me! And whilst I walk 30 minutes every day it still wasn’t enough over the Xmas period...

On a normal day I usually do a mix of jogging and walking, but over the Xmas period I had just been walking, after hitting a high of 6.7 one morning I felt like I needed to run and so I did, not far, but hay ho, the next morning it was back to 5.7, not as low as usual but acceptable... So all I can say is, What exercise are you doing??

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only routine meal is breakfast:

Usually I start with a carbohydrate breakfast, like greek yoghurt with berry fruit, or porridge with half water - half semi skimmed milk, and a teaspoon of sugar free syrup.

Lunch could be protein like some chicken or chilli con carne, with veg or rice. Maybe a sandwich instead

Evening meal usually some soup and maybe a pack of dried noodles. Or a roast if lunch was light, but usually I have a lighter evening meal around 6-7pm.

Late night indulgance could be more porridge or wholewheat crackers with topping such as cream cheese or hummous.
To be fair there’s still a lot of carb in your typical day. The porridge rice sandwich noodles crackers all stand out as quite high and probably doing you no favours at all. Do you have a meter? And test before and after meals, particularly theses foods so you can see what is happening as a result of them?

Have you seen the link in my signature to the nutritional thingy? You seem to be driving back to calorie based low fat ways of eating that don’t tend to work well for type 2. I’d have a (re)read of this and take a look at diet doctor.com. I think there’s a fair bit you can do without insulin that would lower levels and lose weight.