Blood blister under big toe

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On a particularly long and rugged walk this morning, my trusty walking boots of 12 years failed, and my feet got soaked. I didn't feel any pain at the time, other than a slight discomfort on my heels and I knew I'd got a small blister on each one. But when I got back I've discovered that I have a large blood blister under my big toe. It's almost certainly caused by the friction of wet socks, but I can't feel it. It probably covers half of the bottom of my big toe, and aside from the blister itself being blood red, there's no swelling or redness around it.
I know that I have slight peripheral neuropathy, so while I'm concerned, I'm not surprised that I can't feel it. My question is - would this be a call to my DSN tomorrow? Or am I ok to dress it to prevent it from popping, and watch it carefully to make sure it heals?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @luceeloo

I’d give the nurse a call to be on the safe side. No harm dressing it for protection in the meantime.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On a particularly long and rugged walk this morning, my trusty walking boots of 12 years failed, and my feet got soaked. I didn't feel any pain at the time, other than a slight discomfort on my heels and I knew I'd got a small blister on each one. But when I got back I've discovered that I have a large blood blister under my big toe. It's almost certainly caused by the friction of wet socks, but I can't feel it. It probably covers half of the bottom of my big toe, and aside from the blister itself being blood red, there's no swelling or redness around it.
I know that I have slight peripheral neuropathy, so while I'm concerned, I'm not surprised that I can't feel it. My question is - would this be a call to my DSN tomorrow? Or am I ok to dress it to prevent it from popping, and watch it carefully to make sure it heals?
I was told by my doctors and nurses that feet injuries and issues should always be looked over by the medical profession. Given your neuropathy it would seem a sensible thing to do for sure.

From experience from my father, feet issues are not something to underestimate. At the least it might help you feel better if you are at all concerned