Macadamia nut crusted tofu

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As requested by Little Bird :)

1 (14-ounce) firm tofu, drained and dried. I give it a quick press of an hour or two, though the original recipe does not call for it.

Marinade:

1/4 cup mirin
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil (you can sub any oil, or skip it, but the toasted sesame is particularly good.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon minced ginger

Flax Gel

2 Tablepoons ground flax meal
4 Tablsepoons water

Breading

1/2 cup ground macadamia nuts - the original recipe calls for finely ground, I leave it a little chunky not a fine flour. You could use any nut, really.
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/8 cup nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
Salt & pepper, to taste
You can also change up the flavors and add any spice profile - I’ve added smoked paprika, and basil - not at the same time.

Slice tofu into ¼” thick slabs. Lay in a single layer in a baking dish.

Combine all Marinade ingredients in a bowl. Pour over tofu and allow to marinate for 30 minutes, flipping over half way through.

Whisk Flax Gel ingredients in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 1-2 minutes.

In a small bowl mix together Breading ingredients.

After tofu has marinated, working with one slab at a time roll in Flax Gel and then roll in Mac Nut Breading. Repeat with remaining tofu.

You can pan fry it, but I bake it. Oil a baking sheet, it doesn’t take much if you use a good non-stick cookie sheet pan. You could try cooking it dry, but I would use parchment paper if so. Place tofu on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

I usually serve it with some steamed greens, or broccoli, or on a mixed stir fry, but when I made the basil flavor it was to serve with a melange of radishes, tomatoes and hot red peppers.

edited to add: you can change up the marinade to match your spices - I.e maybe delete ginger if your using Italian spices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redshank

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds delicious, @Walking Girl , and I happen to have some walnuts that need to be eaten :hungry:
Am I right in thinking the flax gel is to glue the nut mix to the tofu? If so, I guess that for a vegetarian rather than vegan dish I could use eggs instead, does that sound right? I don't have any flax meal, but the chickens in my garden have decided that middle of winter is the perfect time to start laying again :D

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds delicious, @Walking Girl , and I happen to have some walnuts that need to be eaten :hungry:
Am I right in thinking the flax gel is to glue the nut mix to the tofu? If so, I guess that for a vegetarian rather than vegan dish I could use eggs instead, does that sound right? I don't have any flax meal, but the chickens in my garden have decided that middle of winter is the perfect time to start laying again :D

Yes, the flax is a binder. I think if you used egg, particularly the yoke, it would form more of a noticeable coating than the flax does, but not too dramatically different.

my coworker used to give me eggs from her hens but she gave them away when it became hard for her to care for them after a health issue. I miss those tasty eggs.

Reactions: Antje77

Little Bird

As requested by Little Bird :)

1 (14-ounce) firm tofu, drained and dried. I give it a quick press of an hour or two, though the original recipe does not call for it.

Marinade:

1/4 cup mirin
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil (you can sub any oil, or skip it, but the toasted sesame is particularly good.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tablespoon minced ginger

Flax Gel

2 Tablepoons ground flax meal
4 Tablsepoons water

Breading

1/2 cup ground macadamia nuts - the original recipe calls for finely ground, I leave it a little chunky not a fine flour. You could use any nut, really.
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/8 cup nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
Salt & pepper, to taste
You can also change up the flavors and add any spice profile - I’ve added smoked paprika, and basil - not at the same time.

Slice tofu into ¼” thick slabs. Lay in a single layer in a baking dish.

Combine all Marinade ingredients in a bowl. Pour over tofu and allow to marinate for 30 minutes, flipping over half way through.

Whisk Flax Gel ingredients in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 1-2 minutes.

In a small bowl mix together Breading ingredients.

After tofu has marinated, working with one slab at a time roll in Flax Gel and then roll in Mac Nut Breading. Repeat with remaining tofu.

You can pan fry it, but I bake it. Oil a baking sheet, it doesn’t take much if you use a good non-stick cookie sheet pan. You could try cooking it dry, but I would use parchment paper if so. Place tofu on prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

I usually serve it with some steamed greens, or broccoli, or on a mixed stir fry, but when I made the basil flavor it was to serve with a melange of radishes, tomatoes and hot red peppers.

edited to add: you can change up the marinade to match your spices - I.e maybe delete ginger if your using Italian spices.
Hi @Walking Girl, thanks for the recipe, I actually made it for dinner earlier. I left out the panko breadcrumbs because I don't know what they are but it turned out delicious! Would recommend this to everyone, it's lovely:)

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Walking Girl That sounds really lovely. I happen to have a slab of tofu in my fridge and both walnuts and almonds - i might divide the tofu and try both. Thank you for the recipe. :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
What a great recipe! As life is getting more challenging here in London I have stocked up on tofu!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What a great recipe! As life is getting more challenging here in London I have stocked up on tofu!
Did you make it?
I have bought everything I need (well, almost everything: walnuts instead of macadamia and no mirin, but I can make a nice marinade without it) to make it wednesday, so I'm very curious how yours turned out!

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Did you make it?
I have bought everything I need (well, almost everything: walnuts instead of macadamia and no mirin, but I can make a nice marinade without it) to make it wednesday, so I'm very curious how yours turned out!
No I'm saving it for a wet, lockdown day when I need to try something new. I'm saving my treats.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No I'm saving it for a wet, lockdown day when I need to try something new. I'm saving my treats.
Right you are!
But in that case I'll post my findings on the recipe after I've tried it!