Appointment with consultant tomorrow - hoping for Freestyle Libre - any advice?

Ali2020

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Appointment with consultant tomorrow - hoping for Freestyle Libre - any advice? LADA
Published by Ali2020 in the blog Ali2020's blog. Views: 0

Hello. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in Feb last year, blood glucose out of control in October = hospital admission. Now diagnosed as LADA and on 5 units Lantus daily at 9am and low carb diet, plus taking at least 8 blood glucose readings a day to ensure Glucose levels stay above 4.
I have lost weight so need to keep at 55kgs if I can. I have an appointment with my hospital consultant tomorrow and want to make sure I use this wisely.
I have been advised that our local regulations allow for me to get a freestyle libra - do others have freestyle libra 2 , with alarms from NHS or just 1st one?
C Peptide was 627 in November, but this was not fasting - should it have been? Znt8 was 632.8, GAD below 11. Injecting bolus doses takes my blood glucose too low - one nurse suggested getting a syringe that doses 0.5 - 1 any thoughts on this? I do 10,000 - 15,000 steps daily and keep busy.
Usual blood glucose readings 4.1 - 6.5 pre meal and 3.6 (when out walking) - 9.5 (in eve watching TV) post meal. I have to check my blood glucose after 40 minutes when walking most days and take extra snacks, so may need to increase my carbs. Any advice or thoughts welcome, particularly in relation to Freestyle libre. Many thanks, and many thanks to those who helped me so much when I was first diagnosed due to deteriorating eye sight, which is now back to normal again - energy levels too - for which I am very thankful.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In uk whether you get libre prescription or not seems to just depend on the area you are based.

I just moved my diabetes hospital. Previously it was no chance at my old place but my new hospital seems to give libre to all type 1s, pretty much independent on your management

Reactions: Ali2020

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst it may feel like (and may well be ) a postcode lottery, NHS England has provided guideline criteria for Libre.
These are listed in the appendix of this document: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conte...diabetes-patients-June-2020-Updated-final.pdf

Some CCGs apply these guidelines more rigorously than others. But, if you want a Libre, I would recommend being prepared t argue how you satisfy these criteria. Many qualify for Libre because they test 8 or more times a day but it seems many consultants ask for proof of this.

I am not aware of the guidelines for Libre 2.
It seems they are being handled differently in different parts of the country - some are being explicitly prescribed and others are being told they will get Libre 2 when the local supplies of Libre 1 run out. I believe they cost the same to the NHS so I would assume the NHS would favour Libre 2 but not if that means they are left with a Libre 1 pile.

If you are lucky enough to get a Libre prescription, I strongly recommend reading about it. It is not a complete replacement for finger pricking and if you expect 100% accuracy at all times, you will be severely disappointed ... and not making the most of the NHS funds.

Reactions: Maco and Ali2020

Ali2020

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst it may feel like (and may well be ) a postcode lottery, NHS England has provided guideline criteria for Libre.
These are listed in the appendix of this document: https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-conte...diabetes-patients-June-2020-Updated-final.pdf

Some CCGs apply these guidelines more rigorously than others. But, if you want a Libre, I would recommend being prepared t argue how you satisfy these criteria. Many qualify for Libre because they test 8 or more times a day but it seems many consultants ask for proof of this.

I am not aware of the guidelines for Libre 2.
It seems they are being handled differently in different parts of the country - some are being explicitly prescribed and others are being told they will get Libre 2 when the local supplies of Libre 1 run out. I believe they cost the same to the NHS so I would assume the NHS would favour Libre 2 but not if that means they are left with a Libre 1 pile.

If you are lucky enough to get a Libre prescription, I strongly recommend reading about it. It is not a complete replacement for finger pricking and if you expect 100% accuracy at all times, you will be severely disappointed ... and not making the most of the NHS funds.

Thank you for your reply, it was helpful to hear about the need to use old supplies first! Yes, I have done some research on line and you tube, and I also keep a glucose reading, food and exercise diary, so there will be no problem with the evidence. I am just trying to give myself the least chance of long term side effects and take responsibility for my own health as much as I am able. Thank you.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Ali2020

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In uk whether you get libre prescription or not seems to just depend on the area you are based.

I just moved my diabetes hospital. Previously it was no chance at my old place but my new hospital seems to give libre to all type 1s, pretty much independent on your management

Thank you for your reply. Do you have libra or libra 2?

Reactions: oldgreymare

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been prescribed Libre 1, because I’m Type 1, but before that, you will have to do a trial period to show them that it’s helping you. You will also have to scan your sensor at least eight times every single day. They will see your daily glucose levels, and, therefore, will know if you’re not scanning enough.

I scan about 50 times a day, especially when I’m being really active.

I’m hoping to move to the Libre 2, as it has alarms.

HomerSimpson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Appointment with consultant tomorrow - hoping for Freestyle Libre - any advice? LADA
Published by Ali2020 in the blog Ali2020's blog. Views: 0

Injecting bolus doses takes my blood glucose too low - one nurse suggested getting a syringe that doses 0.5 - 1 any thoughts on this? .

Is it even possible to get insulin pens that can administer small doses like that? I’d love to have one. 1 unit doses are sometimes too much for me.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Out of all the comments this is what I’d take the most from it. I’ve just come off Libre because I’ve moved over to an insulin pump with Medtronic guardian 3 CGM so the Libre isn’t needed. In the last 3 month of using the Libre I become aware of just how poor it was, I was getting readings of 17/18mmol when a blood meter reading would be 10. On the other end of the scale, readings of 4/5/6 but blood meter readings of 10/11. Towards the end I was doing just as many blood tests as I was scanning with the Libre.

Unfortunately for me, even if my Medtronic CGM got took off me I wouldn’t return to Libre. It’s a fantastic tool when it’s working but personally for me I’ve seen to many accuracy issues.

Goodluck with it though & I hope it works for you!

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I have libre 1. I don’t think libre 2 is available in uk or is it ?

Hi the libre 2 is available in the U.K., I have just ordered the sensor and have been told I can use my phone as a scanner. It says 5-7 day delivery. I have bought this though, I haven’t got a prescription for it. Just a bit concerned now reading about the accuracy, I didn’t know it was iffy, I thought it was pretty accurate

Reactions: michita

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Eurobuff I wouldn't say it was in accurate - Abbott would not get approval if it was.
But it has limitations which are important to understand if you want to get the most from it.
Read around the forum - the limitations have been documented many times.

Some sensors can be off/faulty. If that is the case, Abbott are good at replacing them.
I have heard that Libre 2 is more accurate but I am still waiting for mine so cannot comment on my experience.

Reactions: Eurobuff

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi the libre 2 is available in the U.K., I have just ordered the sensor and have been told I can use my phone as a scanner. It says 5-7 day delivery. I have bought this though, I haven’t got a prescription for it. Just a bit concerned now reading about the accuracy, I didn’t know it was iffy, I thought it was pretty accurate
where did you order it from @Eurobuff please?

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chewing (specifically the beings that I birthed)
Is it even possible to get insulin pens that can administer small doses like that? I’d love to have one. 1 unit doses are sometimes too much for me.
When i was pregnant and first went onto fast acting insulin (20 years ago) the insulin was too strong for me. they had to give me a junior pen which has the 0.5 dose setting. I was like a child at the age of 22! lol I only needed 0.5 unit per 10 grams of carbs for dinner and tea. 1.5 per 10 grams for breakfast.

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve been prescribed Libre 1, because I’m Type 1, but before that, you will have to do a trial period to show them that it’s helping you. You will also have to scan your sensor at least eight times every single day. They will see your daily glucose levels, and, therefore, will know if you’re not scanning enough.

I scan about 50 times a day, especially when I’m being really active.

I’m hoping to move to the Libre 2, as it has alarms.
so this answers my question I asked previously to one of you other comments. I only had the Libre fitted a year ago, game changer for me! My haba1c (whatever they're called) levels came down from 110 to 69 by June! I asked about an alarm, as I thought the Libre had an alarm with it and was told this was not the case, but now, a year on, and they are available on the Libre 2?

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i was pregnant and first went onto fast acting insulin (20 years ago) the insulin was too strong for me. they had to give me a junior pen which has the 0.5 dose setting. I was like a child at the age of 22! lol I only needed 0.5 unit per 10 grams of carbs for dinner and tea. 1.5 per 10 grams for breakfast.
Haha until the novopen echo came out I had a very 'jazzy' children's pen which did 0.5 units but was not quite what I would have chosen especially through uni and after!

Ask your diabetes team, they often have spare pens at their surgeries, otherwise they can tell your GP to arrange a prescription. There are half unit pens, yes, and luckily not only in children's designs! Which you can get will depend on your insulin. I use novonordisk insulins and the novopen echo which does 1/2 units and tells you how many units you injected, and how many hours ago (rounded to the nearest hour). Others are available if you use different insulin. I then get the cartridges on prescription. Hope that helps!

Reactions: LucySW

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Haha until the novopen echo came out I had a very 'jazzy' children's pen which did 0.5 units but was not quite what I would have chosen especially through uni and after!

Ask your diabetes team, they often have spare pens at their surgeries, otherwise they can tell your GP to arrange a prescription. There are half unit pens, yes, and luckily not only in children's designs! Which you can get will depend on your insulin. I use novonordisk insulins and the novopen echo which does 1/2 units and tells you how many units you injected, and how many hours ago (rounded to the nearest hour). Others are available if you use different insulin. I then get the cartridges on prescription. Hope that helps!
Haha the same thing happened to me! I tried to scratch it off! lol. I had 2 children, a pram, heavily pregnant and a child's insulin pen! the nurse felt embarrassed to give it to me :p

Reactions: UK T1