Type 1 Covid and Long Covid with T1 Diabetes.

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chewing (specifically the beings that I birthed)
I want to ask if anyone on here has tested positive for Covid, has isolated, and now is suffering with symptom they cannot get answers to from health professionals?

I am 42, had t1 diabetes for almost 27 years. I tested positive for Covid back in November. Didn't have any symptoms other than a cough. I had two weeks off work. Since I have been back at work I have severely struggled to get my breath, I bike to work everyday, which is over 2 miles each way. an have done this for over 3 years. My pulse rate is risen. I am hot and clammy. My muscles ache. extreme coughing which has caused me to vomit. I have extremely itchy skin. I am tired, ratty, depressed, lethargic, memory loss, struggle to sleep, loss of weight, hair is breaking off, brittle nails, irritable, emotional (very tearful, and never usually cry at all) and snappy. I am really struggling at work, I work full time at a Mental Health project, constant split shifts (I can no longer cope with) and the job its self is extremely, emotionally draining. I have had blood test after blood test, chest X-rays and ECG's. High heart rate, and high blood pressure (I've always had low blood pressure until last year) my stats came down too quick for it to be Atrial Fibrillation. I thought I was going through the change, as similar symptoms, but my oestrogen and hormonal levels are fine. The GP surgery and local hospital doctors have made me feel that it is all in my head. I know its not! This making me feel worse in myself.

I have only thought about it this evening that this maybe Long Covid.

Has anyone else had any experiences of anything similar and maybe have experienced 'Long Covid'?

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just thought I'd add.... having all these issues recently has caused my sugar levels to soar extremely high, over 20's, even rising after taking insulin correction dose and not eating. I have also got extra bleeds at the back of my right eye due to raised blood pressure, high cholesterol and high sugar levels. I'm scheduled eye laser treatment next week.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi @Hayley78 ... I'm fairly sure @zand is experiencing similar so I've tagged her into this message.

Something wrong (obviously) and clearly needs attention with all your issues. I really feel for anyone lost to Covid and just as importantly, those suffering the after effects.

EDIT - Just read your 2nd .... cholesterol is by the by. How long were you in hospital for it?

Last edited:
Reactions: oldgreymare

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @Hayley78 ... I'm fairly sure @zand is experiencing similar so I've tagged her into this message.

Something wrong (obviously) and clearly needs attention with all your issues. I really feel for anyone lost to Covid and just as importantly, those suffering the after effects.

EDIT - Just read your 2nd .... cholesterol is by the by. How long were you in hospital for it?
Thanks Mike, I wasn't hospitalised when I tested positive for Covid. I've always struggled with cholesterol level. I only mentioned that bit due to my bleeds. but the blood pressure hasn't helped towards that now. and I'm sure all my other issues are caused by something else, which I'm inclined to think that it is Long Covid.

I'm becoming really run down with it all now. don't know how much longer I can go on with it.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Do you take statins by chance? I think that with all that is going on, you should have been

Reactions: Hayley78

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, I was prescribed them in November. But due to my symptoms, I thought they were originally side effects to taking the statins. I told my gp and she told me to stop taking them for now, make sure it's not the statins. As I can never get through to my surgery, then when I do it's a completely different doctor, and they dont know who's said what. And with my memory loss, when I'm on phone I forget to mention stuff I wanna talk about. Anyway, I've not gone back on them, but I do still have them I can start myself back on them I'm probably easier emailing my diabetic nurse who's at the hospital 20 odd miles away from where I live. Get more sense out of her than the bloody doctors at my surgery

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
BTW, I meant you should have been hospitalised for Covid ... separate issue to statins.

Did you get a full panel for cholesterol? @bulkbiker will be onto this as will @Bluetit1802

Also reckon @maglil55 has long covid as well.

All tagged in so expect some really good advice

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
BTW, I meant you should have been hospitalised for Covid ... separate issue to statins.

Did you get a full panel for cholesterol? @bulkbiker will be onto this as will @Bluetit1802

Also reckon @maglil55 has long covid as well.

All tagged in so expect some really good advice
Thank you again. I really appreciate this.

I didnt go to hospital with covid as I didnt have any symptoms at the time, only a cough. I only tested for it because my son thought he had it his test came back negative on the same day mine was positive.

I've been having all these other symptoms since but not connected it with covid until this evening. I thought originally I was going through the change. But my bloods for that all came back fine. But the symptoms are near enough exactly the same as long covid. My go did mention this to me the other day but didnt elaborate on it and just told me I'm on a VERY long waiting list for respiratory clinic and cardiologist. He then stressed to me that everything is delayed at the minute for referrals due to the current situation with covid.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I'm in Australia but the people I copied in are UK based. Knowing them (and many others) they'll be with you in a few hours. You landed in exactly the right place. GREAT advice forthcoming :))

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Mike d

I had Covid19 in March. I was never tested or hospitalised but my GP accepts that's what I had. I still have Long Covid symptoms.
I have read all of your posts on this thread but can't retain the info in my head today, so forgive me if I ask you something you have already shared.
Are you taking tablets for the high blood pressure? To me that is the most urgent thing to address right now, more important than Long Covid clinic.
Are you taking a vitamin D supplement? That might help stop your nails breaking. Choose one with vitamin D3 and K2. I use a liquid one called Solray-D but there are other cheaper ones.
My chiropractor told me I needed to take a multi vitamin for a few months as Covid robs the body of nutrients as you are fighting off a serious illness. She also suggested vitamin B complex.
I am glad you have dropped the statins. I would ignore the high cholesterol at least for now. Cholesterol is the body's response to inflammation and Covid causes inflammation just about everywhere.
I had all of the symptoms you describe ( except weight loss, I am gaining pounds but as you are T1 and I am T2 I guess that explains the difference) and still have some now 10 months on. I was sick the first few times I tried to walk a mile. I was trying to walk at 3+ mph. After that I had to slow down. Can you cycle more slowly? Even take a rest part way?
It's frustrating because covid isn't like flu. With flu you gradually get better day by day. Covid isn't like that, you think you are getting better, then wham! it's back again.
I used to have atrial fibrilation which was fixed by a catheter ablation 8 years ago. Post Covid I get the fast heart beat which doesn't feel like AF, for a couple of days, accompanied by a headache and a raise in temperature of about 1 degree C. A dose or two of magnesium usually helps me as magnesium is a muscle relaxant and the heart is a muscle. If you don't need the magnesium you will know as it will go straight through, so I would take it when you will be at home for a few hours!
Watch for cramps, in your calves particularly, if they don't go away through stretching phone your GP or 111 straightaway as you could be forming blood clots.
I started a Long Covid thread but haven't had the energy to post on it much.

Long Covid. A support thread for those who take a while to recover from Covid-19 | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community
Sorry if the above is a jumble. Be kind to yourself and rest when you need to. It does get better, but so slowly that you don't even notice you are improving until you look back.

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm in Australia but the people I copied in are UK based. Knowing them (and many others) they'll be with you in a few hours. You landed in exactly the right place. GREAT advice forthcoming :))
I guessed you were. Its he accent that gives it away ;) thank you for your help :)

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for the tag @Mike d

I had Covid19 in March. I was never tested or hospitalised but my GP accepts that's what I had. I still have Long Covid symptoms.
I have read all of your posts on this thread but can't retain the info in my head today, so forgive me if I ask you something you have already shared.
Are you taking tablets for the high blood pressure? To me that is the most urgent thing to address right now, more important than Long Covid clinic.
Are you taking a vitamin D supplement? That might help stop your nails breaking. Choose one with vitamin D3 and K2. I use a liquid one called Solray-D but there are other cheaper ones.
My chiropractor told me I needed to take a multi vitamin for a few months as Covid robs the body of nutrients as you are fighting off a serious illness. She also suggested vitamin B complex.
I am glad you have dropped the statins. I would ignore the high cholesterol at least for now. Cholesterol is the body's response to inflammation and Covid causes inflammation just about everywhere.
I had all of the symptoms you describe ( except weight loss, I am gaining pounds but as you are T1 and I am T2 I guess that explains the difference) and still have some now 10 months on. I was sick the first few times I tried to walk a mile. I was trying to walk at 3+ mph. After that I had to slow down. Can you cycle more slowly? Even take a rest part way?
It's frustrating because covid isn't like flu. With flu you gradually get better day by day. Covid isn't like that, you think you are getting better, then wham! it's back again.
I used to have atrial fibrilation which was fixed by a catheter ablation 8 years ago. Post Covid I get the fast heart beat which doesn't feel like AF, for a couple of days, accompanied by a headache and a raise in temperature of about 1 degree C. A dose or two of magnesium usually helps me as magnesium is a muscle relaxant and the heart is a muscle. If you don't need the magnesium you will know as it will go straight through, so I would take it when you will be at home for a few hours!
Watch for cramps, in your calves particularly, if they don't go away through stretching phone your GP or 111 straightaway as you could be forming blood clots.
I started a Long Covid thread but haven't had the energy to post on it much.

Long Covid. A support thread for those who take a while to recover from Covid-19 | Diabetes Forum • The Global Diabetes Community
Sorry if the above is a jumble. Be kind to yourself and rest when you need to. It does get better, but so slowly that you don't even notice you are improving until you look back.
That's perfect! Thank you.

I had covid symptoms too, back in March, before lockdown, so no test, I isolated 7 days then. Went back to work, 4 days later I was off again with symptoms and again on isolation 7 days. In November I only had cough and tested positive for covid.

I always take vit D anyway, I dont know the difference in vit D that you're explaining. I have a strong dose, 5000iu which I just buy myself from chemist. And last week I started taking multi vits with two different vit B's. So maybe that will help. I shall get the magnesium for the heart rate when I next in town, I think that'll be good.

I am frustrated with my dd's atm as they are just proper **** holes cant even get a phone call with a doctor when I want to speak to one, then when I do I speak to a doctor that doesn't know me, telling me how I've been over the past 5 years! Never met the bloke. I am just wanting answers so that I can go to work, tell my boss what's wrong and reason why I've been like I have. Everyone at work just seems to think I'm run down and I'm trying my hardest to explain that I'm rub down because of a physical illness that I dont know what it is. (I think they think it's all in my head!)

Anyway, thank you for the rant really need to get it off my chest.

I have started slowing down with my cycling (not that I go at amy type of speed anyway) I'm trying to stop myself from rushing around cuz I'm always rushing. This doesn't help, it's just the way I am, I've always been on the go. Never sitting down and when I do I become restless, bored and frustrated.

Can I ask you? How old are you and how long have you had diabetes?

Also, you can tell me to mind my own business, but why are you on a T1 forum when you have T2 diabetes? Dont take my question the wrong way, I just want to know how this all works.
Thank you

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 63 and have had T2 for 9 years.
The posts from all the main fora are shown on the recent posts list. Sometimes I don't notice which forum they are in and I post if I think I can help. I did notice this one was T1 and ignored it but then replied because your symptoms were so like mine and because Mike d tagged me in. I figured that the common ground was Long Covid, irrelevant of what type we both were.
That's great that you are taking the vitamins already. Well done. Take care, I hope you feel better soon.

Hayley78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I am 63 and have had T2 for 9 years.
The posts from all the main fora are shown on the recent posts list. Sometimes I don't notice which forum they are in and I post if I think I can help. I did notice this one was T1 and ignored it but then replied because your symptoms were so like mine and because Mike d tagged me in. I figured that the common ground was Long Covid, irrelevant of what type we both were.
That's great that you are taking the vitamins already. Well done. Take care, I hope you feel better soon.
Thank you, again, Zand. I understand now. Like you say the type of diabetes is irrelevant to the long covid symptoms and I totally appreciate your advice. Its helped me understand that I'm not the only one suffering. I hope you improve soon. As I do myself too. Jusy annoying that my doctors seem to be ignoring my plea for answers and diagnosis.