Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
As a card carrying Scot, albeit living in south west England, I am struggling to work out how we can mark the 25th Burns Supper without sending the sugar count into outer orbit... Haggis, neeps and tatties, shortbread, black bun look like the devil reincarnated to me...wondered if anyone has a suggestion? Or should I just give up, pour a whisky, and find a set of bagpipes? !!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Jura, Jura and more Jura

Reactions: BRSBRI
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As a card carrying Scot, albeit living in south west England, I am struggling to work out how we can mark the 25th Burns Supper without sending the sugar count into outer orbit... Haggis, neeps and tatties, shortbread, black bun look like the devil reincarnated to me...wondered if anyone has a suggestion? Or should I just give up, pour a whisky, and find a set of bagpipes? !!

Could you have square sausage, I love these and a whisky, my dad loved that and recite a Rabbie Burns poem ?
Love listening to the Bagpipes, so moving, memories of my mum and dad <3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing a Cranachen using double cream mixed with whisky (leaving out the honey or sugar), tiny amounts of oatmeal, interleaved with raspberries and other berries from the freezer, again without adding any sugar. My neighbour has baked shortbread but that won't be given to the diabetics.
Our main is going to be mince of some sort to replace the haggis and I will be serving mashed needs and mashed celeriac in pace of the tatties.
A wee dram, or several, will be drunk.
Burns Night is easier to do low carb than Easter or Christmas for sure!

Reactions: Redshank

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Could you have square sausage, I love these and a whisky, my dad loved that and recite a Rabbie Burns poem ?
Love listening to the Bagpipes, so moving, memories of my mum and dad <3

Fab! Too late to order the square sausage...but it would've been a good dinner! Those pipes skirling away remind of my hameland. Goosebumps! Thanks

Reactions: Antje77

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I'm doing a Cranachen using double cream mixed with whisky (leaving out the honey or sugar), tiny amounts of oatmeal, interleaved with raspberries and other berries from the freezer, again without adding any sugar. My neighbour has baked shortbread but that won't be given to the diabetics.
Our main is going to be mince of some sort to replace the haggis and I will be serving mashed needs and mashed celeriac in pace of the tatties.
A wee dram, or several, will be drunk.
Burns Night is easier to do low carb than Easter or Christmas for sure!

Sounds great and brill ideas there....can we steal? The other ½ is still struggling on how to feed the relatively newly diagnosed T2...And have a great 25th...

EF7yrJiX0AAenZI.jpg

pop1

ITS ALL ABOUT MODERATION, MORE NEEPS AND LESS TATTIES, PLENTY OF IT WHICH REDUCES THE NEED FOR MUCH BLACK BUN AND SHORTBREAD INTAKE. ALWAYS MOISTEN THE HAGGIS WITH A WHISKY YOU WOULD DRINK NEAT - SAVOUR THE TASTE. ENJOY!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I’ve just been listening to Runrigg , Banks of Loch Lomond always gets to me , and I’m not Scottish am a taff whose lived in Scotland for 20 years now so am claiming Scottish on residency lol plus I have a lion rampant tattooed on my shoulder ( next to the welsh dragon of course )

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Home made low carb shortbread - just replace normal flour with either ground almonds or the finer almond meal, and caster sugar with erythritol and Rob's your uncle...

This was one of my first ventures into low carb baking, and was or less fool proof.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I’ve just been listening to Runrigg , Banks of Loch Lomond always gets to me , and I’m not Scottish am a taff whose lived in Scotland for 20 years now so am claiming Scottish on residency lol plus I have a lion rampant tattooed on my shoulder ( next to the welsh dragon of course )

There you go - there's a welcome in the hillside above Hadrian's Wall too :) Cheers!

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Home made low carb shortbread - just replace normal flour with either ground almonds or the finer almond meal, and caster sugar with erythritol and Rob's your uncle...

This was one of my first ventures into low carb baking, and was or less fool proof.

Thanks! I shall ask the other half to acquire as she is off to Tesco despite the snow...This forum and all the members are a mine of brill information - cheers

Reactions: Antje77

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
Everything in Moderation and just more whiskey to compensate don’t think rabbie would mind hiv a guid nicht

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Everything in Moderation and just more whiskey to compensate don’t think rabbie would mind hiv a guid nicht
Aye, awfie braw o yi :) A glass of Glenmorangie or 2 will hit the spot ;) Cheers!

Reactions: bigjim19

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Aye, awfie braw o yi :) A glass of Glenmorangie or 2 will hit the spot ;) Cheers!
I prefer a good lowland single malt myself ..........

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
@MrsA2 - thanks for the Cranachan recipe!

All set, got the kilt out, my Braveheart face, cat dressed in tartan - smoked salmon, big plate of savoury mince and diabetic friendly veg ending with yon Cranachan. The best news for all of Bath, I canny find any bagpipes to skirl ;)

Thanks to all for the encouragement and advice.

PS The address to the mince will have oor Rabbie turning in his grave!

DCB 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carry out out pizza commercials on the TV and people bringing in a fresh box of glazed donuts to work !!! (They are evil)
Enjoy !!!!!!!!
Swam 2 miles this morning got numbers down to 4.16 in preparation for this evening. It is a little bit of work, but it is worth it !!!!

Mrs T said:
Aye, jist hae a wee dram - cheers

a wee dram is such a vague term. Have single malt ready !!!!!!!!!