Type 1 Carb addiction

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I don't feel the cycle should be laid squarely with your mum. The information from HCPs i overheard given to mine was, "oh, if he's going low here. Give him more carbs. Low at night. Snack before bed."
There was never any mention of adjusting insulin. There were only so many sandwiches I can eat..
"Do you need something to eat?" Seemed to be the answer to "everything."

As I became an independent adult & moved out. On visits to my mum (like you do.) she wouldn't let me leave the house without "something." It's also part of an inherrent caring nature as a parent too.
Of course I carry hypo stuff, but It would take 15 minutes (seemed like it.) talking her down from the breadbin.

It's what she was told back in the early days. Old habits die hard. These days she has Alzthiemers. It still sticks.
I don’t speak to my mum, I’m talking about the past. She has made it very hard to beat this addiction of mine now. She didn’t know how to handle having a type 1 child

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You are 20 and of course you're not going to be scared by threats of amputation , blndness and dialysis! I don't know why they try with those scare tactics. They are being drama queens but then so are you by stating that 'nothing works' and you won't ever try healthy diets again because you have fallen off the wagon a few times.
The hope should be that you will fail less and less but I think you do need someone to talk things through with and being type 1 may o who open up a few doors as the consequences of your eating behaviours are more serious. Please ask because you are not the only type 1 young adult to be in this position and it sounds as if you live in the US? (or somewhere with access to healthcare )?
Another person that I came across is Dr Jody Stanislaw (type 1). She is in Colorado and does free consultations.
https://www.instagram.com/type1.dr.jody.nd/?hl=en
I live in the UK.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
ps I'd like to add that all of us type 1s slip up all the time. I certainly do with chocolate but enjoy eating it for pleasure now rather than it being a compulsion so its not such a stress as it once was.
Oh okay. I just feel embarrassed because I’ve been diagnosed at 1 years old and people who have had T1 for a lot shorter than I have seem to be doing much much much better than me.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I try so hard to eat healthy but I always go back to eating carbs. My body craves for carbs all the time, I am definitely addicted to it. I waste so much money a month on takeaways and junk food. I eat until I get uncomfortably full. if I go shopping and buy crisps with 20 packets inside and a cake, I’d finish it all in one day. I don’t really hear much about carb addiction but it is seriously bothering my life. What can I do? I have this urge always for carbs.
Today I ate coco pops and then shepherds pie and now I’m contemplating going to my local corner shop to buy a big packet of Doritos. Yesterday I did the same and bought chocolate digestives as well as a big packet of cheese and onion crisps. My diet doesn’t include any vegetables or fruits. I drink 2 litre water though. When I try to eat healthier it never lasts. There are vegetables and fruits that I like eating but nothing gives me the high feeling that carbs do. When I don’t get it, I become irritated and very depressed. Maybe it’s a mental health thing because it makes me feel less empty inside. But if I’m watching something interesting, I can’t seem to watch it without junk food. And if I have something delicious, I have to find something to watch.
I’m type 1
I get it I used to do this and honestly occasionally still do by replacing trying to numb how im feeling as well if I'm flaring with my ulcerative colitis my body can only tolerate certain foods. But I think sometimes you need to find why you maybe eating foods that you do. Even work with a professional maybe able to help. And when you say healthy what do you see as eating healthy? for me my body shifted when I realised healthy for me was eating foods I was told not to eat and turning the standard dietary guidelines upside down and eating more protein natural fat etc first then adding if still hungry vegetables or some tolerable fruits etc. I also find jotting down what I ate for a while and also jot down how I was feeling on days when I ate foods like "junk" food strangely it was when I was overly stressed or feeling sad/depressed when I did eat like that. The natural high getting from carbs could be because I was replacing that feeling with food. So I decided on those moments to try and do something else keeping my mind occupied like ringing a friend family, do a hobby or mowing my lawn housework something that got my mine busy. And eating foods I was told to cut back on was what really helped. Instead of eating what a dietitian told me Like a muffin for morning tea I started eating boiled eggs or peice of cheese also so I become satiety satisfied and started making low carb foods that replaced high carbs U was eating so low carb breads and muffins or ate fresh cream with strawberries.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Beating-My-Betes

Oh okay. I just feel embarrassed because I’ve been diagnosed at 1 years old and people who have had T1 for a lot shorter than I have seem to be doing much much much better than me.

Me again :)

Not to overwhelm you with things to look into, but perhaps investigating the technique of cognitive reframing would be useful. Your tendency to see your experience(s) in a negative light and judging yourself in a pejorative manner is gonna help thwart any attempt at recovering. The example you give, above, for instance: My first inclination would be to suggest that you've had far more time for these bad habits to have been fully ingrained, than someone with a new diagnosis. In that light, there's nothing to feel embarrassed about.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I get it I used to do this and honestly occasionally still do by replacing trying to numb how im feeling as well if I'm flaring with my ulcerative colitis my body can only tolerate certain foods. But I think sometimes you need to find why you maybe eating foods that you do. Even work with a professional maybe able to help. And when you say healthy what do you see as eating healthy? for me my body shifted when I realised healthy for me was eating foods I was told not to eat and turning the standard dietary guidelines upside down and eating more protein natural fat etc first then adding if still hungry vegetables or some tolerable fruits etc. I also find jotting down what I ate for a while and also jot down how I was feeling on days when I ate foods like "junk" food strangely it was when I was overly stressed or feeling sad/depressed when I did eat like that. The natural high getting from carbs could be because I was replacing that feeling with food. So I decided on those moments to try and do something else keeping my mind occupied like ringing a friend family, do a hobby or mowing my lawn housework something that got my mine busy. And eating foods I was told to cut back on was what really helped. Instead of eating what a dietitian told me Like a muffin for morning tea I started eating boiled eggs or peice of cheese also so I become satiety satisfied and started making low carb foods that replaced high carbs U was eating so low carb breads and muffins or ate fresh cream with strawberries.
I’m glad someone can relate. By healthy I mean vegetables, fruits, meat, fish. And I absolutely hate the taste of vegetables except carrots and lettuce when they’re not boiled.
Yeah I have been given that advice before to distract myself. I can’t even sit through a good YouTube video without food by my side. I have hobbies and interests but nothing that can distract me from getting sugar. I will become extremely distressed and I don’t like that feeling

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t speak to my mum, I’m talking about the past. She has made it very hard to beat this addiction of mine now. She didn’t know how to handle having a type 1 child

I sat down with my mother when I was a little older than you.
She wanted to tell me something, in short she felt guilty giving birth to someone developing such a pain of a condition with a "probable" negative outcome? (I knew this stuff anyway. I was there at the consultant appointments. )
I just shrugged & replied, "sheds happen."

Who does know regarding unexpectedly having a T1 child. It would most certainly do my head in.

I don't know about anyone else.. But something went a little wrong this morning for me, & I'm currently wrestling a high one down?

However, you are an individual. The more you start looking round to check out others "performance" in the race, the more likely you are to veer off the field..

Reactions: oldgreymare

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Me again :)

Not to overwhelm you with things to look into, but perhaps investigating the technique of cognitive reframing would be useful. Your tendency to see your experience(s) in a negative light and judging yourself in a pejorative manner is gonna help thwart any attempt at recovering. The example you give, above, for instance: My first inclination would be to suggest that you've had far more time for these bad habits to have been fully ingrained, than someone with a new diagnosis. In that light, there's nothing to feel embarrassed about.
Haha hi :)
oh wow yeah that’s true. I feel less embarrassed. I think it’s cause myfam used to compare me to newly diagnosed diabetes and how theyre dealing with it amazingly.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I sat down with my mother when I was a little older than you.
She wanted to tell me something, in short she felt guilty giving birth to someone developing such a pain of a condition with a "probable" negative outcome? (I knew this stuff anyway. I was there at the consultant appointments. )
I just shrugged & replied, "sheds happen."

Who does know regarding unexpectedly having a T1 child. It would most certainly do my head in.

I don't know about anyone else.. But something went a little wrong this morning for me, & I'm currently wrestling a high one down?

However, you are an individual. The more you start looking round to check out others "performance" in the race, the more likely you are to veer off the field..
Yeah that’s true. I would find it very difficult having one myself because I know how rubbish having diabetes is.

it doesn’t help that I have so much insulin resistance. so my blood sugars are constantly up the roof.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
I have nothing that is scary or worth enough for me to fight the urge.
Yes you do have something to fight for you have you! Because you are worthy enough to fight it and be healthy.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
onions
leek
I’m glad someone can relate. By healthy I mean vegetables, fruits, meat, fish. And I absolutely hate the taste of vegetables except carrots and lettuce when they’re not boiled.
Yeah I have been given that advice before to distract myself. I can’t even sit through a good YouTube video without food by my side. I have hobbies and interests but nothing that can distract me from getting sugar. I will become extremely distressed and I don’t like that feeling
Ok concentrate on these foods then. Put in in a dairy a challenge start date for two weeks and create a menu of the healthy foods you enjoy and challenge yourself to eating these foods for two weeks and comit to avoid eating anything that has sugar or converts to sugar. But don't get upset if you do eat junk or sugary food whilst doing the challenge just acknowege that you ate it accept it then move on and continue with the process.
If you associate eating certain foods with watching youtube or other activities try replacing these foods with another healthier similar choice instead so you can eat something just something different if craving chips eat salty nuts or pork rinds. If it's lollies make gelatine lollies. Desert full fat greek yoghurt with strawberries or nuts. You know another thing it's easy to overeat carbs sugar etc then it's is eating steak or salami or eggs or cheese. Also for now don't worry about what your can't eat look at what you can eat whilst challenging yourself. Also dont worry about how much you eat just eat the healthier choices until you feel satisfied. Acknowledge every day that you can do this. Your worth it.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Ok concentrate on these foods then. Put in in a dairy a challenge start date for two weeks and create a menu of the healthy foods you enjoy and challenge yourself to eating these foods for two weeks and comit to avoid eating anything that has sugar or converts to sugar. But don't get upset if you do eat junk or sugary food whilst doing the challenge just acknowege that you ate it accept it then move on and continue with the process.
If you associate eating certain foods with watching youtube or other activities try replacing these foods with another healthier similar choice instead so you can eat something just something different if craving chips eat salty nuts or pork rinds. If it's lollies make gelatine lollies. Desert full fat greek yoghurt with strawberries or nuts. You know another thing it's easy to overeat carbs sugar etc then it's is eating steak or salami or eggs or cheese. Also for now don't worry about what your can't eat look at what you can eat whilst challenging yourself. Also dont worry about how much you eat just eat the healthier choices until you feel satisfied. Acknowledge every day that you can do this. Your worth it.
Thank you that’s so cute.
I will try again. Today I did buy a big packet of m&ms and pizza but once I finish those, I will try again.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah that’s true. I would find it very difficult having one myself because I know how rubbish having diabetes is.

it doesn’t help that I have so much insulin resistance. so my blood sugars are constantly up the roof.

High BGs can be a catalyst negative feelings, which in turn can trigger doing stuff you may later regret?
Also, with your insulin resistance & not quite getting the insulin to carb right. You're kind of not utilising what you eat which understanbly may give you the feeling of wanting more?
If you remember the hypos as a kid. (Or possibly the last time you had one.)
That feeling of "stop the world, I wanna get off." There may have been comfort (quite rightly so.) when you treated it & where comming back up? Even a little euphoria?? A friend's T1 kid once told her mum whan asked, "hypos felt like Christmas."
Yep, I got it..

Carbs & exogenous insulin can be a double edged sword...
Getting it right for you Is easier said than done, even from other Type ones..

Reactions: Flora123

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...

My paternal grandmother ignored warnings since her pregnancies that she could be prone to T2 diabetes - sadly one day in her 60's she went completely blind. Since then I have been constantly nagged by my parents about metabolic syndrome and T2...so a bit of a shock to be diagnosed as late onset T1 (autoimmune) in my 50's...that said I seem to also be severely carb sensitive, so the horrible double whammy - insulin bolus requirements stay very high after any carbs.

Take a day at a time - I also classify myself as an addictive personality and in spite of knowing better, salty crunchy stuff is my downfall (crisps!, OMG popcorn). So with zero willpower, but living on my own, no crisps, bread, pasta, noodles, carby veg in the house. I have lost my sweet tooth so not tempted by biscuits, cakes, etc still on hand to treat my handyman and gardeners. Gradually going more carnivore in my diet - the side effect is that I now crave(?!) lettuce (albeit with homemade french dressing and grated parmesan) :woot:. I eat at least a dozen eggs a week.

Just start every day afresh - remember that all those success stories probably have 4x struggling diabetics that haven't posted. Main thing is not to give up. That you are posting here to describe your despair is a great beginning. You CAN do this. :nailbiting:

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
High BGs can be a catalyst negative feelings, which in turn can trigger doing stuff you may later regret?
Also, with your insulin resistance & not quite getting the insulin to carb right. You're kind of not utilising what you eat which understanbly may give you the feeling of wanting more?
If you remember the hypos as a kid. (Or possibly the last time you had one.)
That feeling of "stop the world, I wanna get off." There may have been comfort (quite rightly so.) when you treated it & where comming back up? Even a little euphoria?? A friend's T1 kid once told her mum whan asked, "hypos felt like Christmas."
Yep, I got it..

Carbs & exogenous insulin can be a double edged sword...
Getting it right for you Is easier said than done, even from other Type ones..
Wow when you said “hypo when you were young” I get hypos every week, people can go years without one???
I hate the feeling of hypo. Maybe my high blood sugars are causing me to do these bad habits but high blood sugars are in my life now and they’re not ready to go.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My paternal grandmother ignored warnings since her pregnancies that she could be prone to T2 diabetes - sadly one day in her 60's she went completely blind. Since then I have been constantly nagged by my parents about metabolic syndrome and T2...so a bit of a shock to be diagnosed as late onset T1 (autoimmune) in my 50's...that said I seem to also be severely carb sensitive, so the horrible double whammy - insulin bolus requirements stay very high after any carbs.

Take a day at a time - I also classify myself as an addictive personality and in spite of knowing better, salty crunchy stuff is my downfall (crisps!, OMG popcorn). So with zero willpower, but living on my own, no crisps, bread, pasta, noodles, carby veg in the house. I have lost my sweet tooth so not tempted by biscuits, cakes, etc still on hand to treat my handyman and gardeners. Gradually going more carnivore in my diet - the side effect is that I now crave(?!) lettuce (albeit with homemade french dressing and grated parmesan) :woot:. I eat at least a dozen eggs a week.

Just start every day afresh - remember that all those success stories probably have 4x struggling diabetics that haven't posted. Main thing is not to give up. That you are posting here to describe your despair is a great beginning. You CAN do this. :nailbiting:
WHAT?? That actually scared me. I thought we lose our sight gradually? So it’s possible I can wake up one day and be completely blind?!!!!!! Even though the day before I could see well

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
WHAT?? That actually scared me. I thought we lose our sight gradually? So it’s possible I can wake up one day and be completely blind?!!!!!! Even though the day before I could see well
That's what I remember of our family medical history, it was pretty much overnight for my grandma - so maybe use this to redirect your eating habits? But the damage can also be cumulative and gradual as well.