Fluconazole

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

So, for many years i have been put on antibiotics for my thrush; now i been put on Fluconazole; now i don't know whether to take it with my medication or by itself; i asked the pharmacist and he didnt give me a clear answer other than "it should work" "good luck"

Whilst on Fluconazole my blood sugars have been up and I'm not sure if fluconazole can cause high blood sugar, im on day 3 of 7 and my thrush is still there, - I'm thinking maybe if the blood sugar are high, then the trush will be there until my levels are down but i get trush even when im in the 6's and low 5s which doesn't make sense i doubt it will help after 7 days.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I usually take it an hour after other medication, but have also taken it with other meds and it's worked either way. Not aware of it raising my blood sugar. It can take a few days before it starts to work in some cases, but as you know high blood sugar can cause thrush. If you're not following low carb, could you maybe reduce carbs for a few days to try to reduce blood sugar? Hope it soon helps.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hia and welcome not sure what to say but if I had thrush and were run down as it is horrid, I would have thought that my BG would be higher as the body is fighting something...? I would ring the GP for advice personally. Hope it gets sorted as its not nice and you have clearly suffered for such a long time. The pharmacist should win the Darwin Award for that one :rolleyes:

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually take it an hour after other medication, but have also taken it with other meds and it's worked either way. Not aware of it raising my blood sugar. It can take a few days before it starts to work in some cases, but as you know high blood sugar can cause thrush. If you're not following low carb, could you maybe reduce carbs for a few days to try to reduce blood sugar? Hope it soon helps.

I have reduced carbs as much as possible; i hope it starts to work- i asked my doc if any of my medications could cause thrush and said, no; now i will probably finish my course on fluconazole and if it still there i think i will have to go on it again

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hia and welcome not sure what to say but if I had thrush and were run down as it is horrid, I would have thought that my BG would be higher as the body is fighting something...? I would ring the GP for advice personally. Hope it gets sorted as its not nice and you have clearly suffered for such a long time. The pharmacist should win the Darwin Award for that one :rolleyes:

At this stage my GP aren't very helpful they put me on antibiotics for many years and only few days ago another doctor was covering for my usual GP and he put me on fluconazole, will see what happens & i have a DN who does call me up to check on my Diabetes management but i dont ever talk to my GP about my diabetes only the DN or endocrinologist.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Put on antibiotics FOR thrush? They are a guarantee to cause it for me.

fluconozole tablets, creams and making sure any sexual partners are also treated “should” help, alongside keeping bgl in a good range.

otherwise maybe get it swabbed to make sure it is indeed the assumed thrush.

Reactions: MargaretR

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Put on antibiotics FOR thrush? They are a guarantee to cause it for me.

fluconozole tablets, creams and making sure any sexual partners are also treated “should” help, alongside keeping bgl in a good range.

otherwise maybe get it swabbed to make sure it is indeed the assumed thrush.

I will finish my course on fluconazole and then i will ring doc back and if it hasn't cleared will get further test done, blood sugars are probably what's causing it but im working on bringing that down

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will finish my course on fluconazole and then i will ring doc back and if it hasn't cleared will get further test done, blood sugars are probably what's causing it but im working on bringing that down
Constant anti biotics is really not a good thing, I'm surprised they haven't looked into this more.you've been having high blood levels which can cause thrush for sure. What are your blood levels now? Have they not looked at changing your meds tontrynand get that down? Whilst you may well be looking at other options, high bloods and these side effects seem like an intervention is needed

I only had thrush once as a side effect of dapaflahlozin increasing my glucose in m urine, you have my sympathies!

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Constant anti biotics is really not a good thing, I'm surprised they haven't looked into this more.you've been having high blood levels which can cause thrush for sure. What are your blood levels now? Have they not looked at changing your meds tontrynand get that down? Whilst you may well be looking at other options, high bloods and these side effects seem like an intervention is needed

I only had thrush once as a side effect of dapaflahlozin increasing my glucose in m urine, you have my sympathies!

Hi;

Morning its between 10mmol-11mmol/
But after breakfast it can go down to 7-8; and i check again before evening meal it can be 7-8 but i still have the trush symptoms at those levels

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi;

Morning its between 10mmol-11mmol/
But after breakfast it can go down to 7-8; and i check again before evening meal it can be 7-8 but i still have the trush symptoms at those levels
What’s your most recent hba1c? Some people perhaps are more prone to thrush than others?

Those levels are higher than I would like, like 3 to 4 higher. They aren’t huge compared to some but certainly at the level I, personally, would be looking to get a change

How has your dietary changes gone?

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What’s your most recent hba1c? Some people perhaps are more prone to thrush than others?

Those levels are higher than I would like, like 3 to 4 higher. They aren’t huge compared to some but certainly at the level I, personally, would be looking to get a change

How has your dietary changes gone?

My Last was 60.

It goes down maybe 3+ hours tops and I'm trying to get my fitness back on track, my diet hasn't been Good, but I'm staying away from junk-food,
I am still figuring this low carb stuff out. My fasting blood sugars has drastically gone up.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Last was 60.

It goes down maybe 3+ hours tops and I'm trying to get my fitness back on track, my diet hasn't been Good, but I'm staying away from junk-food,
I am still figuring this low carb stuff out. My fasting blood sugars has drastically gone up.
Hmm, it’s not massively high still, but am really sorry you are suffering. Hopefully this clears up and a way to lower your blood sugars comes through

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm, it’s not massively high still, but am really sorry you are suffering. Hopefully this clears up and a way to lower your blood sugars comes through

Honestly, i do intermittent fasting and my levels do come down but i still feel tired; my levels can come down to low 5s but only with IF which i do 12 hours everyday no snacking at all- i know ppl can easily see 5s, 6s within a hour or 2 but I'm trying to figure it out