Shielding letter - all Type 1s?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So even though in absolute terms risk of death is higher it doesn’t matter because we’re statistically more likely to die anyway without diabetes. If the overarching aim is to prevent deaths how does that make sense?
The vaccine only prevents death due to the virus not all the other causes of death. So to see who the vaccine will help most they use relative risk which effectively "filters out" the other causes. The QCovid algorithm is a tool to be used by doctors and they should be using it in conjunction with their knowledge of the patient.

Reactions: hodders

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Type 1, 23 and had diabetes for 22 years. Had a shielding letter yesterday!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The vaccine only prevents death due to the virus not all the other causes of death. So to see who the vaccine will help most they use relative risk which effectively "filters out" the other causes. The QCovid algorithm is a tool to be used by doctors and they should be using it in conjunction with their knowledge of the patient.
Relative risk comparatively helps more yes. Prevents the most deaths, no absolute risk does that. The tool has been applied centrally from coded records. GP’s can access it and check using their knowledge and amend a persons status but they are not the ones making the initial judgements.

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
got both shielding and vaccine letter (apparently been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable and high risk), will wait for group 6 for vaccine and for shielding, not much has changed, still go to work as it's key worker so no sick leave, and announced they don't furlough workers.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
got both shielding and vaccine letter (apparently been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable and high risk), will wait for group 6 for vaccine and for shielding, not much has changed, still go to work as it's key worker so no sick leave, and announced they don't furlough workers.
Hi, if my understanding is correct then the shielding letter can be used to inform an employer you should work from home. This is what my shielding letter says anyway. Of course the shielding advice is guidance so you don't have to follow it, but you can use it to count as medical evidence that you should not be in work and be working from home. If your request to work from home is denied (or you can't work from home) then this can also be used to furlough you/put you on sick pay. As I've said, you might not want this, but the letter gives you 'back up' if you do. Just thought I'd point that out for any other new CEV reading the thread in case that helps.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Lots of diabetics have underlying health conditions some related to their diabetes some not , I don't think just because you have type 1 it means you're more likely to catch covid , in actual fact I would say because we are more health conscious and understand our bodies a bit more we are more likely to keep in good health .

hodders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Jsywak
Whilst I agree with part of your post. No, there is no scientific evidence out there that says, as a type 1 you are more likely to catch covid19. But if you are unlucky enough to catch it, I think you are between 3.5 and 3.9 times likely to die compared to someone without type 1.
Think that is correct.

Reactions: Medusa41 and UK T1

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lots of diabetics have underlying health conditions some related to their diabetes some not , I don't think just because you have type 1 it means you're more likely to catch covid , in actual fact I would say because we are more health conscious and understand our bodies a bit more we are more likely to keep in good health .

You are correct, we are NOT more likely to catch it, it's that if we do our condition may make it harder to cope with it and the consequences could be much more serious.

Reactions: Medusa41 and UK T1

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some guidance on why those with/ previous gestational diabetes were identified for shielding. You can be removed from the list if you meet certain criteria.

COVID-19 Population Risk Assessment - NHS Digital
Basically it’s assuming you could be type 2 now if you haven’t been monitored in the meantime and if that along with your other factors puts you over the threshold you got added. If you know or find out that’s not the case then you can be removed from the list. Many will choose not to be removed even if they should/could be as they in reality don’t qualify because of the benefits having such a letter gives. Furlough being the most obvious, seeing as group 6 are now being vaccinated anyway and I suspect most new additions would have been in that group previously.

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have bad asthma, Type 1, and two other autoimmune conditions, age 75, but have not received shielding email/letter.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had my vaccine today (Pfizer), 26 year old no other issues. A1c of 47. No reactions, no high or low sugars. Stable all day, sore arm which didn’t stop me going to the gym.
Aren’t gym’s all closed?