Dropped novopen echo

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone ever dropped their insulin pen ?
My novopen echo dropped from the bedside table to the ground - carpet so not a hard surface .
It looks intact and primed ok and I dispensed 20 units into the cap like they suggest if any fault is suspected and it was fine. It just worries me it’s been damaged internally ??? Do you think it’s still safe to use.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you tested it with 20 units and everything felt and looked normal I'd suppose it's fine, especially as it fell on carpet.
Do you have an extra pen in case something happens to your pen?

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you tested it with 20 units and everything felt and looked normal I'd suppose it's fine, especially as it fell on carpet.
Do you have an extra pen in case something happens to your pen?
I have another pen with a dead battery which I could use if this one failed. It has no dose memory feature now of course with no battery but it would still work to deliver the insulin. :)

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have another pen with a dead battery which I could use if this one failed. It has no dose memory feature now of course with no battery but it would still work to deliver the insulin. :)
Perfect for a back up!

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've dropped mine by mistake before and the pen was fine too. Unfortunately the cartridge cracked and leaked a bit - such a strong smell when I opened the case! But like you the pen dispensed and worked as normal with a new cartridge (once I'd wiped the insulin off!). Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: Sharrryn

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone ever dropped their insulin pen ?
My novopen echo dropped from the bedside table to the ground - carpet so not a hard surface .
It looks intact and primed ok and I dispensed 20 units into the cap like they suggest if any fault is suspected and it was fine. It just worries me it’s been damaged internally ??? Do you think it’s still safe to use.

I once had a ballet dancer sit on a Novopen back in 1990? true.

Apart from advisable to get at least 2 spares...

Seriously, can you shoot after an air shot 20u upto the line in a a needle cap highlighted in the pic below..?
Then it should within reason be dosing right..

image.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Seriously, can you shoot after an air shot 20u upto the line in a a needle cap highlighted in the pic below..?
I tried with all my pens in the past, and none of them went to that point. It seems not all brands have the same volume pen caps!

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I once had a ballet dancer sit on a Novopen back in 1990? true.

Apart from advisable to get at least 2 spares...

View attachment 48166
Yep. The 20 units lined up to the top of the needle cap so I’m pretty confident it’s working ok.

Reactions: Antje77 and Jaylee

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I
I tried with all my pens in the past, and none of them went to that point. It seems not all brands have the same volume pen caps!
The novo nordisk pen caps which I use seem to have a little ‘line mark’ to line up the twenty units. The novo fine and novo fine plus are slightly different shape but you can still test the 20 units on both. Other brands which are still compatible with the echo may be different though for performing this test ??

Sharrryn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, I've dropped mine by mistake before and the pen was fine too. Unfortunately the cartridge cracked and leaked a bit - such a strong smell when I opened the case! But like you the pen dispensed and worked as normal with a new cartridge (once I'd wiped the insulin off!). Hope that helps a little.
Thanks. That’s reassuring. :)

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm clumsy so I've dropped my novopen echo quite a few times. Last time I smashed the see through glass on the dial but it's still working fine. My guess is they can take a bit of abuse.