Roadie cyclists what do you eat during a ride?

Bigonabianchi

I’m pre diabetic and cycle as much as I can. 18 months ago I was easily capable back to back century rides , since then I have struggled as this pre diabetes thing has become worse and my levels are borderline type 2 now.

I can now only ride about 40 miles before it starts to feel like riding through glue.

Previously I’d eat what’re I could find pretty much but now I don’t want to as I’m much more aware of the diabetes risk .

I need to find a way to eat during rides so I can get back on my game and ride 100+mile rides again comfortably, without energy gels etc.

What ON bike food do diabetic roadies on here have in their jersey pockets on longer rides?

Are there any diabetic ‘friendly ‘ on bike energy bars you know of / have used?
Anyone make their own ?

Also is anybody using a CGM , if so which make and how are you getting along with it?

:)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In neither thread have you mentioned what level your blood sugars were.
When my bloods are high and low they feel as if I am cycling through treacle but the way I treat them (and fule my body) is clearly very different dependent upon what my levels are.

Typically, long duration exercise will lower blood sugars but some people find they raise them.

You mention a CGM. Maybe it would be worthwhile signing up for a free trial Libre 2 to see what impact your ride is having on your blood sugars. https://sample.freestyle.abbott/gb-en/freestylelibre.html

Low carb and keto adaptation may not be the answer for you if you are doing lots of exercise.
Yes, I know some athletes are fine with this approach but the important thing to remember is that we are all different and it is important to find the approach that works for you and your lifestyle.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In neither thread have you mentioned what level your blood sugars were.
When my bloods are high and low they feel as if I am cycling through treacle but the way I treat them (and fule my body) is clearly very different dependent upon what my levels are.

Typically, long duration exercise will lower blood sugars but some people find they raise them.

You mention a CGM. Maybe it would be worthwhile signing up for a free trial Libre 2 to see what impact your ride is having on your blood sugars. https://sample.freestyle.abbott/gb-en/freestylelibre.html

Low carb and keto adaptation may not be the answer for you if you are doing lots of exercise.
Yes, I know some athletes are fine with this approach but the important thing to remember is that we are all different and it is important to find the approach that works for you and your lifestyle.
Low carb and fat adaptation may be just the very thing (once adjusted). Many endurance athletes excel using this and totally avoid the bonk as there is always energy on board if only they are able to access it. The other thread had a good few links to this.

the answers re on board snacks will depend on what style of eating the op is or wants to follow.

Reactions: Bigonabianchi

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
It depends. Is it hot out? Or cold? If it’s hot some foods don’t pack well. If it’s cold, more carbs are need to create energy AND heat.

I know this- it’s cycling and we like to pack light. So take money.

Chewy granola bars go well in the cold. Especially with chocolate chips, because I need chocolate!

In the heat, more caffeine, electrolytes, and water. And red licorice bites poured into my right back pocket, which know how to survive in the heat.

Bigonabianchi

When I started my ride yesterday the reading was 11. After 35 miles and 2000’ it was 6.8 with just water. I had eaten a small portion of rolled Oates with green tea before I rode.

I felt ok going round but towards the end I was feeling like I was riding into a strong headwind even though there wasn’t one.

30 miles feels like 150 did in 2019.

On return I ate a tin of tuna and then for dinner a chicken breast with vegetables .

This morning the reading was 6.7 before breakfast.

I know these arn’t high by some standards , but I want to be able to get back to the longer rides without fueling in the wrong way . So I was hoping to find out what I can carry ( buy ) on A long ride to achieve that .

I’m left thinking it will be trial and error to see what works for me .

I’ve only been testing for four days now so it’s all new and early days .

Clearly I was doing something wrong for years, riding such distances and still getting this pre diabetes ‘warning’ shot .

Caffeine is something I’ve mostly avoided . But most riders I know are complete coffee junkies , maybe there’s some mileage there , but I’m aware of the downsides of to much caffeine.

I think this has all come as a bit of a ‘surprise’ and thrown me a bit ... I’ll get there :) :)

Reactions: In Response

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Bigonabianchi type 2 can creep up on you and our bodies are incredible good at getting used to a blood sugar level.
You may have read about "false hypos" - these are when your body is used to a blood sugar in the teens and you get hypo-like feelings when it lowers to the 5s and 6s although hypos are considered to be when our blood sugars are under 4.

Things are slightly different for me with Type 1 diabetes but I cycle and I some times get that "cycling through treacle"
feeling. When I check my blood sugars, I realise I am having a mild hypo.

So, one theory about your rides is that you are experiencing false hypos as your blood sugars have been at higher levels for some time before your diagnosis. Now you are managing it better, you are experiencing lower levels and the levels you get when cycling after 25 miles are confusing your body.

The way around this is to get used to the lower levels. It's not about fueling yourself during the ride familiarising your body with blood sugars in the 5s and 6s. Then you will not feel so bad when it drops during the ride.

I hope tis makes sense.

I want to emphasise that this is only a theory.

Bigonabianchi

@Bigonabianchi type 2 can creep up on you and our bodies are incredible good at getting used to a blood sugar level.
You may have read about "false hypos" - these are when your body is used to a blood sugar in the teens and you get hypo-like feelings when it lowers to the 5s and 6s although hypos are considered to be when our blood sugars are under 4.

Things are slightly different for me with Type 1 diabetes but I cycle and I some times get that "cycling through treacle"
feeling. When I check my blood sugars, I realise I am having a mild hypo.

So, one theory about your rides is that you are experiencing false hypos as your blood sugars have been at higher levels for some time before your diagnosis. Now you are managing it better, you are experiencing lower levels and the levels you get when cycling after 25 miles are confusing your body.

The way around this is to get used to the lower levels. It's not about fueling yourself during the ride familiarising your body with blood sugars in the 5s and 6s. Then you will not feel so bad when it drops during the ride.

I hope tis makes sense.

I want to emphasise that this is only a theory.

It does thank you :) in hindsight now I’m educating myself on all this I think I’ve had an issue for a few years before a blood test at Gp picked this up. I’m trying to gradually increase ride length to try go get used to what , for me, is a lower blood sugar level than I was used to now I have changed my diet etc . The issue I have is judging how far I can go before heading back without bonking , or knowing what I can then eat without a sugar spike to get me back.
I’m also
Mindful this is pre diabetes and not worse yet . Clearly riders with type 1&2 are finding ways to keep riding , so it should be easier for me with pre diabetes I guess . :)

Reactions: In Response

WasntMe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I drop into a convenience store or small supermarket and pick up a precooked chicken breast, or a couple of blocks of tofu. But of course if you’re out in the sticks....I suppose I do plan routes where a 711 or Lawson is going to be.

It does thank you :) in hindsight now I’m educating myself on all this I think I’ve had an issue for a few years before a blood test at Gp picked this up. I’m trying to gradually increase ride length to try go get used to what , for me, is a lower blood sugar level than I was used to now I have changed my diet etc . The issue I have is judging how far I can go before heading back without bonking , or knowing what I can then eat without a sugar spike to get me back.
I’m also
Mindful this is pre diabetes and not worse yet . Clearly riders with type 1&2 are finding ways to keep riding , so it should be easier for me with pre diabetes I guess . :)