Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
Been invited by my GP practice to subscribe to virtual sessions for the above along with 1-1s with a dietician.

Anyone been on these and what's the review/verdict of the sessions you've attended ?

Thanks!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No personal experience, but looking at their website, I can’t imagine it’s offering anything behind the standard ‘eatwell’ guidance. Their diabetes remission section focuses on the 800 calorie diet method.

There was a discussion on the forum, but some time ago: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/oviva.158915/

Reactions: BRSBRI

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Good or not if it’s been recommended by your care team it might be worth doing it

I’m not saying you have to use the knowledge…. But with my care teams if I do everything they request of me then they seem to put more effort into my care, and if I have a request it seems to get done

I know someone has the same care team, she often ignored certain things like requests to take part in training.. etc
And she get dealt with quite differently

Almost like if your willing to help yourself well help too.

So nowadays I tend to do training and stuff.. had to do bertie recently totally pointless but it earned brownie points

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some info on their funding
https://techcrunch.com/2020/01/14/oviva/

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09667784

Not much info on Linkedin. 435 Likes on Facebook.

The website confirms that Oviva 800 diabetes remission program is Low Cal 9 week plan that is free to participants, and paid for by the NHS practice you are registered at.

All the dieticians are certified and reviewed AND TRAINED by the Clinical Director. i.e. seems to be a single POV and not having oversight by any National or International institution we would recognise. This may or may not be a good thing, but is open to despotism. The company is actually registered in Switzerland, so may not be subject to UK laws. There was a mention in the blurb that if funding by participating practice stops then you will need to make up the difference from your own pocket as a private patient.

For some reason, there is support specific to Tayside repeatedly mentioned in their literature. I suspect this is because Tayside NHS has signed up with OVIVA. They look like being the only ones so far.
https://oviva.com/uk/en/tayside-diabetes-support/

It sounds like a Blood Sugar 800 diet, not a meal replacement one like the Taylor Newcastle Diet, with some telephone chivvying up and 'instruction; Note: they will be receiving your medical data from the GP when you sign up, so hopefully they encrypt their servers adequately

I Think the Mosley book is cheaper.

Their support program seems to be just working with dieticians over the phone and they indicate this is a longer-term approach (6-12 months)

Last edited:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I am with them and unfortunately the advice tailored for me is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. However, I nod and agree but do my own thing as some and I emphasised "some" of the info is useful, I just don't think they listen and read off a script.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Here's the information pack provided for commissioners in 2018:- https://bswccg.nhs.uk/for-clinician...va-diabetes-support-overview-august-2018/file
I think that for me my dietitian doesn't remember me half the time - perhaps as I only communicate through the online app, but some of foods she has suggested spike my bg levels and that's kind of put me off. I have explained till I am blue in the face about my intolerances and it falls on deaf ears - or appears to. However, there is some good info so its not all bad. Still think they go by the Eatwell plate.

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
Good or not if it’s been recommended by your care team it might be worth doing it

I’m not saying you have to use the knowledge…. But with my care teams if I do everything they request of me then they seem to put more effort into my care, and if I have a request it seems to get done

I know someone has the same care team, she often ignored certain things like requests to take part in training.. etc
And she get dealt with quite differently

Almost like if your willing to help yourself well help too.

So nowadays I tend to do training and stuff.. had to do bertie recently totally pointless but it earned brownie points
Those brownie points are worth their weight in gold as you say and even 4 months into the diabetic journey, I already know the difference this can make. Thanks!

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
No personal experience, but looking at their website, I can’t imagine it’s offering anything behind the standard ‘eatwell’ guidance. Their diabetes remission section focuses on the 800 calorie diet method.

There was a discussion on the forum, but some time ago: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/oviva.158915/
Appreciated. I've signed up anyway a d I can report back here the good, the bad and the ugly...

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Reality TV shows
I am with them and unfortunately the advice tailored for me is about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. However, I nod and agree but do my own thing as some and I emphasised "some" of the info is useful, I just don't think they listen and read off a script.
Thanks @Lainie71 I think the script does the rounds in community diabetic care but thankfully I'm lucky to have a super proactive local diabetes team...I'll report back after my sessions...

Reactions: Lainie71

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Those brownie points are worth their weight in gold as you say and even 4 months into the diabetic journey, I already know the difference this can make. Thanks!

Indeed

My consultant said I couldn’t have the pump I wanted…. My nurse said I could.. and I got it

My consultant said I don’t qualify for Dexcom the nurse said oh well leave it with me I will get it for you

She know given the right tools I will do the right thing.. I do all the training they request.. try everything they request in return the see me put in the effort so go that little further for me

I appreciate not all care teams are like this… some always seen they don’t care or listen but mine has been good

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed

My consultant said I couldn’t have the pump I wanted…. My nurse said I could.. and I got it

My consultant said I don’t qualify for Dexcom the nurse said oh well leave it with me I will get it for you

She know given the right tools I will do the right thing.. I do all the training they request.. try everything they request in return the see me put in the effort so go that little further for me

I appreciate not all care teams are like this… some always seen they don’t care or listen but mine has been good
Did you get the same level of care when you had been diagnosed as T2?

Reactions: Lainie71

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Did you get the same level of care when you had been diagnosed as T2?

Sort of my current pump nurse was my initial DSN and she remembered me from back then

The care was good and they provided extras that I wanted.. I showed interest in the aviva expert meter and they gave me one I wanted a red and green insulin pen they got them for me.. they allowed me to chop and change my insulin when I asked…. Even allowed me tresiba just after it came out and was to expensive to prescribe except in special cases

However the overall care given to T2’s is not the same as T1…. For example t2’s don’t get pumps.. or most of the training etc

So the care team were good within the bounds of what the were allowed to offer

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For example t2’s don’t get pumps

Possibly because most shouldn't need them if correctly diagnosed and given the correct care..

But I take your point.

Were you put onto insulin pretty early as a T2?

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Possibly because most shouldn't need them if correctly diagnosed and given the correct care..

But I take your point.

Were you put onto insulin pretty early as a T2?

Was diagnosed in July just before my birthday and I started insulin the same year 2 or 3 days before Christmas