T1 and Golf

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Everyone
Firstly a brief history of me. Age58 and wrongly diagnosed Type 2 last July. Still rapidly losing weight, 3 months on after having a C-peptide & antibodies tests, I was diagnosed Type 1 in November. Totally out of the blue, no one in my family has diabetes, so all very new to all family members. 5 months on my insulin is Abasaglar & Humalog. I am also very lucky to have the freestyle libre 2, which is just marvellous. I don't think I could have coped with the finger pricking and the injecting every day!
I am a keen golfer and with lockdown easing and life is getting back to some form of normality, I am asking if any of you have any tips on how to manage your insulin etc, on the course.
Many thanks
Kate

James_Donnelly

Never had any issues with any sports. Play football, tennis, played a little golf in the past. Not really had any issues,

What's your concerns exactly?

Killi123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi James
Well the last couple of times playing golf, I'm usually out for 4/5 hours and during the game my BG rise to 13 not sure why. Before going out I do check my BG which can range from 6 to 8.
When it reaches 13 and above, I never know if I should inject there and then or wait until I finish the round which could be a few hours later.
Like I say I'm new to all this so really just asking for some advice.
Many thanks

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi James
Well the last couple of times playing golf, I'm usually out for 4/5 hours and during the game my BG rise to 13 not sure why. Before going out I do check my BG which can range from 6 to 8.
When it reaches 13 and above, I never know if I should inject there and then or wait until I finish the round which could be a few hours later.
Like I say I'm new to all this so really just asking for some advice.
Many thanks

Hi there. What you have described is very common, I exercise a lot and if I do a particularly strenuous or long bout then my levels also go up into the teens. I have experimented over the last 3 years (same as you, I was in my 50s when diagnosed) and you may find that level of 13 comes down pretty quickly after you finish exercising. Mine for example drops very rapidly an hour or so after the exercise so if I was to take insulin there and then, I would by hypoing an hour or two later. Others may find that their levels remain higher for longer though as we are all different, so they make take a couple of units of insulin there and then and then just keep monitoring on your libre....I presume you take your hypo kit with you just in case you plummet, hence it's best to test the theories out for yourself. Whatever you do, you CAN enjoy your golf and everything else, you just need to adjust around your diabetes. Once you see the pattern when golfing it's far easier to manage any doses (right up until your body decides to take the p of course!). x

Reactions: oldgreymare

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Hi Kate, I have the same issues with cycling, out on the bike for hours at a time and find when I get home after a leg smash my levels are in the teens and sometimes in the 20’s. I was advised the could be because you are dehydrated and this kicks the liver off producing glycogen which will in turn push your levels up. Try drinking some water before you play and top up through the round and keep an eye on your levels. Reduce your insulin when you finish golf but check a couple hours later if need more, but I sometimes find my levels drop through the night if I’ve over done the dose after exercise. James