Little bit confused..

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I found low carb much harder to dose for due to the protein.
When eating carbs, my body was able to get glucose from the carbs.
When eating low or no carbs, my body breaks down the protein for glucose. However, the insulin to protein ratio varied hugely depending on whether I ate any carbs with the protein and what the protein is - eggs had a different ratio to salmon which had a different ratio to almonds, for example.
As a result, my blood sugars were too high when following a low carb diet.
For this reason, I decided to stop limiting my diet and focus on correct bolus timing for carbs.

Reactions: ert and Maco

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Maco ,

One thing comes to mind.. (Though I don't pump.)
You've been low carbing for 24 hours? Have you deviated from you usual exersise regime at all..?
(I seem to remember you do gym stuff.?)

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Maco ,

One thing comes to mind.. (Though I don't pump.)
You've been low carbing for 24 hours? Have you deviated from you usual exersise regime at all..?
(I seem to remember you do gym stuff.?)

Hi @Jaylee, I’ve changed nothing but the low carb. Gym life still the same.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found low carb much harder to dose for due to the protein.
When eating carbs, my body was able to get glucose from the carbs.
When eating low or no carbs, my body breaks down the protein for glucose. However, the insulin to protein ratio varied hugely depending on whether I ate any carbs with the protein and what the protein is - eggs had a different ratio to salmon which had a different ratio to almonds, for example.
As a result, my blood sugars were too high when following a low carb diet.
For this reason, I decided to stop limiting my diet and focus on correct bolus timing for carbs.

This is probably going to be what I’ll do, I only decided to go low carb so I could down on insulin & try to drop my last bit of body fat ready to start a bulk in the gym. My control while eating carbs was pretty perfect & although fat loss was slow it was still coming off.. I’ll bare with low carb until the end of the week, my BG has only been around the 10mmol mark so hopefully it’ll be an easy fix. If not bring on the carbs haha

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Annoyed & sick now. 7G of carbs with my lunch, BG before lunch was 6.5mmol. Took 3units of insulin which covered 25g of carbs, so obviously overdosed to try cover for protein. Just done a blood test & im 14.2. Definitely not worth my time or effort when I can eat carbs and have better control. Bring on my rice