Pizza

Keano100

Basically was diagnosed a month ago type 2 ( which I’m a bit dubious about but that’s another story) I decided to see how I’d go on diet and exercise. Last 3 weeks my numbers been excellent 4-7 pre evening meal and been around 5 all this week. I’ve lost nearly 4kg so all was pretty happy. Today I went for my walk and did something to my calf and ended up hobbling to lunch destination. Thought I’d treat myself to a healthy pizza thin crust vegetarian. After meal still couldn’t walk so got a bus home and generally felt a bit rough. Took reading which was probably 2 hours earlier and without normal after lunch walk. Was 9.8 ouch. Thought it might be bit higher as changed routine. But then read Some stuff re pizza and it’s quite unique on numbers as can be very slow to release. Anyway as said bit shocked after having such good numbers. What do we think Pizza and change of routine?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bear in mind you have described two things which could have a significant impact to your blood sugars.
For those of us treating our diabetes with insulin, pizza can be a challenge due to the high carbs in the base and high fat in the toppings. I noticed the impact of the carbs on my blood sugars can last at least 6 hours. So your 9.8 may not be at the blood sugar peak. On the other hand, I have seen Libre graphs from someone without diabetes and their numbers rise to the 9s after a pizza.
Pain and stress can also have a serious impact on our blood sugars. So you may notice a rise in your blood sugars due to the injury to your calf. Take it easy.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Basically was diagnosed a month ago type 2 ( which I’m a bit dubious about but that’s another story) I decided to see how I’d go on diet and exercise. Last 3 weeks my numbers been excellent 4-7 pre evening meal and been around 5 all this week. I’ve lost nearly 4kg so all was pretty happy. Today I went for my walk and did something to my calf and ended up hobbling to lunch destination. Thought I’d treat myself to a healthy pizza thin crust vegetarian. After meal still couldn’t walk so got a bus home and generally felt a bit rough. Took reading which was probably 2 hours earlier and without normal after lunch walk. Was 9.8 ouch. Thought it might be bit higher as changed routine. But then read Some stuff re pizza and it’s quite unique on numbers as can be very slow to release. Anyway as said bit shocked after having such good numbers. What do we think Pizza and change of routine?
Pizza generally is higher carbs and that will impact us T2s, the combinations of the ingredients can also cause heightened glucose levels for a lot longer than others it seems, I guess it's the slow digestion and interactions... But pure guesswork, no idea of the science really

So would question "healthy" as depends on what criteria they use there...

Things like fish and chips does the same to me, it raises bloods and keeps them higher well into the next day. Oddly chocolate can easily be back into normal levels 2 hours later, but pizza and similar... Totally different reaction

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Personally if I saw a rise to 9.8mmol after a pizza & that was the highest my BG went to I would be absolutely over the moon. I can't eat a pizza without saying readings of at least 14/15mmol 6hrs after eating, doesnt matter what I do I just cant control it.
Unfortunately its just something your going to need to learn to live with, as a diabetic on the days you feel like eating something naughty be prepared to see spikes. As long as your not sticking in the high teens for hours on end you'll be fine.

Keano100

Cheers Maco that made me feel bit better. Weirdly my calf eased off and I managed a 45 minutes walk. Took reading again after 5 hours now 5.3 so panic over.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Its weird but if I have bacon it doesn't spike my glucose, but if I have gammon - a different story it will take me to 11's and over. Different part of the animal - heaven knows :mad: