had sweets and my bg was still low

Drfarxan

after 9 months of low carb, with a recent 3 month HbA1c of 5.4% i had a piece of cake today. It was my coworker's daughter 1 yo birthday and i decided to do an experiment on myself. I had some dates and a slice of cake after getting back home 2 hrs later my bg was 4.4!!!!
None of my coworkers know that i am diabetic, i told them i had a life style change to lose weight and keep it down forever. Not to be rude i ate a piece of cake and some dates like 4 of them. They are not much but i was curious to see how theyll effect me. Suprised to see it was this low!!

By no means will i ever go back to high carb diet but it was encouraging to see these results, SOMETHING ACTUALLY WORKS. I know,i know there are many here who have been successful but its good when happens to you.

But i won't let it fool me into thinking i lost my diabetes. People like Dr Jay Wortman have been on a low diet for 18-19 years with a HbA1c of 5.1, and he is never fooled into thinking he "lost his" diabetes or insulin resistance.

Last edited:

Drfarxan

PS: i know i already said this in my intro thread but thank god for this forum and the people here, even before i joined i was always visiting learning from the users here and istill am. Its helping 1000s of diabetics.

Last edited:
Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
after 9 months of low carb, with a recent 3 month HbA1c of 5.4% i had a piece of cake today. It was my coworker's daughter 1 yo birthday and i decided to do an experiment on myself. I had some dates and a slice of cake after getting back home 2 hrs later my bg was 4.4!!!!
None of my coworkers know that i am diabetic, i told them i had a life style change to lose weight and keep it down forever. Not to be rude i ate a piece of cake and some dates like 4 of them. They are not much but i was curious to see how theyll effect me. Suprised to see it was this low!!

By no means will i ever go back to high carb diet but it was encouraging to see these results, SOMETHING ACTUALLY WORKS. I know,i know there are many here who have been successful but its good when happens to you.

But i won't let it fool me into thinking i lost my diabetes. People like Dr Jay Wortman have been on a low diet for 18-19 years with a HbA1c of 5.1, and he is never fooled into thinking he "lost his" diabetes or insulin resistance.

Hi,

Is your job quite physical? This may have helped..

Edit to add, time of day too? More insulin sensitive?

Drfarxan

Hi,

Is your job quite physical? This may have helped..

Edit to add, time of day too? More insulin sensitive?
No i am sitting down the whole day but i do try to go to the gym,that and walking to work(thinking of buying a bicycle) are the only physical things i do

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No i am sitting down the whole day but i do try to go to the gym,that and walking to work(thinking of buying a bicycle) are the only physical things i do

To be fair, the "academic stuff" requires fuel to the brain too?

Are you prescribed any diabetes meds?

Drfarxan

To be fair, the "academic stuff" requires fuel to the brain too?

Are you prescribed any diabetes meds?
I was prescribed janument ( metformin +sitagliptin) but never really used it,from time to time to see if it helps. I was not prescribed jardiance but experimented with the 10mg for 3 weeks. Most of the time i just stayed away from carbs max was 50g

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Before being diagnosed with T2 I used to eat a lot of fruits and regularly ate dates. After 8 years I decided to retry them last Christmas and had 2 in the evening and my BS went from 6.6 to 7.5 after 2 hours and dropped to 7.0 after 2.5 hours. However whilst it was nice to know I could eat them I found them too sweet!

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar experience yesterday and got me all confused!

I came on this forum first thing this morning to check if anybody had the same and found this thread.

I had pizza last night (made with Rye flour)...and it was a BIG one! + a glass of beer (half a can).

Pre meal BG: 3.8 – 1 hour later BG : 5.7 – 2 hours later 4.9

I was at a friend’s (non diabetic)and asked if I could measure her BG for comparison; she had half the amount of pizza I had (or less even) + the other half of can of beer. Her BG was 4.7 pre-meal and 7 after 1 hour.

I am not on medication currently and was sitting down the whole time.

What does this mean?!?! I am sooo wanting to experiment with fruit and chocolate now!!

Reactions: Drfarxan

Dark Horse

Professor Roy Taylor found that it was possible for people with true type 2 diabetes to go into remission from diabetes if they lost sufficient weight and as long as they maintained their weight loss. His studies involved counting calories but weight-loss through carb-counting should also have the same effect. If remission occurs, the important thing is not to regain the weight. https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwncla...centre/files/2020 Information for doctors.pdf

Reactions: Drfarxan

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some dates and a slice of cake after getting back home 2 hrs later my bg was 4.4!!!!

It sounds like you have re-ignited some of your previously lost insulin sensitivity.

The bodies response to a carb load is to create more insulin to lower the blood sugars (by storing the excess glucose as fat).
Looks like after a large carb load yours did exactly that.

I'd suggest not trying it too often though as that could well be what led you here in the first place!

But as an experiment well done your pancreas!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always thought that if a person with insulin resistance has been low carbing for a long period of time, their bodies would have cleared out any excess glucose and their own insulin production would be in tandem with that (ie, lower). When they suddenly have a carby meal because there may be no, or much lower resistance, their insulin is able to get through and be utilised much more effectively if not normally. Could this be it? I guess if a person then views this as a cure as such and starts to follow the same routine they did before, the resistance will likely build up again because of this 'flaw'.

Drfarxan

I always thought that if a person with insulin resistance has been low carbing for a long period of time, their bodies would have cleared out any excess glucose and their own insulin production would be in tandem with that (ie, lower). When they suddenly have a carby meal because there may be no, or much lower resistance, their insulin is able to get through and be utilised much more effectively if not normally. Could this be it? I guess if a person then views this as a cure as such and starts to follow the same routine they did before, the resistance will likely build up again because of this 'flaw'.
type 2 diabetes has a very strong genetic component, i believe any one with the gene will develop type 2 diabetes on the modern high carb diets sooner or later. There has been athletes who were running marathons like the co-founders of Vitra Sami Inkinen or people like Dr Tim Noakes but still developed insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes. People with this gene were not meant to eat high carb foods in the first place regardless of if they have diabetes or not. Even after remission if we go back to a high carb diet we will get it back.

Reactions: KK123

Drfarxan

What does this mean?!?! I am sooo wanting to experiment with fruit and chocolate now!!
It means your beta cells are working which is good news but if you go back to the conditions that harmed them in the first place will you still get the same results?
Like i wrote above i believe we as type 2 diabetics are genetically not meant to eat high carb diets in the first place. Most of us even without eating refined sugar after years of high carb diet we will develop diabetes in our old age( old age also means less physical activity which also contributes)

Last edited:

aard

This doesnt surprise me, coke and chocalate seem to have a very low effect on me if not taken all the time. Bread and some fruits are the opposite, resulting in quick and massive spikes.

However although I can tolerate the odd day with nothing but coke/chocalate/crisps and maintain a low reading this I find leads to complacency and then I have a couple of days followed by few more etc... and then my sugars start to be affected by the coke/crisps.