Freestyle libre compatible phones

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Android One UI Core 2.5.

Hiya, thanks for that advice - good to know!
I get my Libre on prescription (just started) and want to use a maiomaio to turn it into a CGM so that I can see BG on my phone and smart watch (I have a ticwatch). This will all be as a replacement to Dexcom G6 which I've self funded for years. Now that I'm getting Libre on prescription I'd like to stop paying Dexcom £160 per month, and set up Libre2 + Maiomaio as a replacement. I've looked at another thread on this forum and a couple of people said that they're running Libre2 app with a Samsung A21s so I'm going to order one today... I've got enough Dexcom sensors to last another 3 months so that should give me plenty of time to make this switch. I'll defo let you all know how this goes!! and haha I'm totally justifying the spend on the fact that a) I didn't go on holiday or b) to the hairdressers for at least a year now so have saved a bit there! ;)
No need to justify! I've been very happy with the Libre 2 communicating directly to the Diabox app which updates every minute and has made it feel like a CGM for me (better alarm options than the official libre link app too). Only use the official app so my data syncs with libre view for my clinic as I get it on prescription too. Never wanted more bulk on the sensor so was very happy to find how well libre 2 worked with diabox without needing a MM or bubble attached. Enjoy when it arrives!

empire.line

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello! So just a quick (ish) update on the Libre 2 app + mobile phone situation... I ordered a Samsung A21s and we have been able to download the LibreView app onto it. For those who are interested we bought it from Samsung's website directly, it was the best price, £30 cheaper than in Argos.... Anyway, I digress. When the phone arrived I was already using a Libre sensor with the handset, so had to wait till putting on a new Libre sensor before I could use the App on the phone. I put on a new sensor today and have successfully scanned it using the app on the phone. I have to say that this phone is MASSIVE and a bit unwieldy for my small lady-like paws... but will struggle on! (what a great example of a first world problem...). Using the mobile with the sensor means that the handset can't be used at all. I now need to look at the alarms to check that these are all set up working on the phone app....
At the same time I'm still using Dexcom G6 as have 3 months worth of sensors left, so this is a good opportunity to compare Libre2 and Dexcom G6. I can tell you straight away that their readings are different most of the time...
Here's the punchline though - Dexcom G6 app doesn't work with the new Samsung A21s phone!! Agh! So I have to keep the old Samsung Galaxy S7 running as well.... meaning that basically for the next 3 months I'm carrying around 2 mobile phones.
To make things a bit simpler I've managed to download DexcomFollow app to the new phone and share Dexcom readings from the old phone to the new one. I can't calibrate it or anything, but at least I can see the BG on just one phone.
Next steps are to test out MaioMaio to try to turn the Libre2 into a CGM as a much cheaper replacement for the Dexcom G6, so I'll let you know how that goes. Also we'll be testing out how to get the data to display onto my Smart Watch. I have a ticwatch, if anyone's got any hot tips for how to do this, or using MaioMaio, or anything else Libre & CGM related, they'd be very much appreciated!
Thanks and best wishes :)
EL

empire.line

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No need to justify! I've been very happy with the Libre 2 communicating directly to the Diabox app which updates every minute and has made it feel like a CGM for me (better alarm options than the official libre link app too). Only use the official app so my data syncs with libre view for my clinic as I get it on prescription too. Never wanted more bulk on the sensor so was very happy to find how well libre 2 worked with diabox without needing a MM or bubble attached. Enjoy when it arrives!
Thanks will defo check out the Diabox app!! I meant to include that in my post below... Will do this before buying MM. Cheers!! EL

Reactions: UK T1

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
we have been able to download the LibreView app onto it. For those who are interested we bought it from Samsung's website directly, it was the best price, £30 cheaper than in Argos....
You had to pay for the official apps to use Libre?

Noddy123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Every time I put on a new sensor which is usually a Thurs night by Sunday the sensor gives me hypo readings. So I do a finger prick test and I'm not in a hypo. Libre 1 sensors. So I thought I would install the app this weekend. Unable to as get error message phone not compatible. I previously had a HTC, app installed fine. Changed phone last aug to Motorola. I'm not changing my phone to a Samsung or iPhone just to comply with Abbott.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have never got it to work on any of my Android phones now have an I phone and it works perfectly Abbott should sort this out.
I think it maybe cheaper just to buy the new reader than a new phone.

When on Abbott's site the other day there was mention of an offer when switching to Libre2 from Libre one they where offering a new reader free of charge but when I tried to take advantage of this offer it put the reader in the basket at zero pounds but then when I tried to checkout it told me I had already redeemed this offer which I hadn't as I did not even know of it's existence till that day I have emailed them asking about it so far had no reply.. .

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try giving them a phonecall, they're usually a lot better on the phone than through mail.
Maybe DCUK could start a list of phones that people know work from their experience. It would need to include make, model and operating system version. Expecting Abbott to do it is asking a lot. I don't know how many types of Android phone there are now but I saw a figure of 24,000 for 2015 so it would be much higher.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe DCUK could start a list of phones that people know work from their experience. It would need to include make, model and operating system version. Expecting Abbott to do it is asking a lot. I don't know how many types of Android phone there are now but I saw a figure of 24,000 for 2015 so it would be much higher.
You could start a thread on it and have people add their phones. Sounds rather useful. :)

Noddy123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never got it to work on any of my Android phones now have an I phone and it works perfectly Abbott should sort this out.
I think it maybe cheaper just to buy the new reader than a new phone.

When on Abbott's site the other day there was mention of an offer when switching to Libre2 from Libre one they where offering a new reader free of charge but when I tried to take advantage of this offer it put the reader in the basket at zero pounds but then when I tried to checkout it told me I had already redeemed this offer which I hadn't as I did not even know of it's existence till that day I have emailed them asking about it so far had no reply.. .
Yes I sent them an email too had no response. You shouldn't have to ring all the time then to be held in a queue especially when you are working during the day. Abbot need to improve their customer service

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Upgraded to to the IPhone 12 works fine

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mr_Pot I've got a Galaxy A20e, does the table mean Libre 2 and it won't be compatible?
The table only shows phones Abbott have tested. Thousands of new phones come out every year so they can't test them all. If it is a fairly new phone, has NFC and Bluetooth then it is likely to work.

Edit to add that the Samsung A20e does have NFC and Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: SueJB