Working Nights

Nebula Skies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I apologise if similar threads have been posted, I did try scrolling through some.

Basically I'm a Type 1 Diabetic, I use an Omnipod Insulin Pump, and a Freestyle Libre to test my blood sugars.

I currently work in a Supermarket, and I'll admit the current department I'm on is so boring. When I first started it was OK, but I want to be on a department that is more active. I literally just sit on the checkouts watching the clock, I always get moaned at "Oh it's easy money" but I like to be on my feet/moving around.

I know that Nights are hiring, however, I'm terrified of messing up my levels, they're not perfect at the moment, but with small changes they are thankfully improving. I've never worked nights before so I just wanted to know if anyone here works them, how does it affect your levels? Can you adapt to it easily?

I know I need to speak to my Nurse, however, I wanted to hear some personal stories from people who have Type 1 (Or Type 2!), to understand some challenges I may have to face.

Thank you!!

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find working nights easier to cope with when dealing with my diabetes. I'm eating less overall which helps plus the nature of my job I'm rushing around alot less on nights.

Reactions: Nebula Skies

Nebula Skies

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find working nights easier to cope with when dealing with my diabetes. I'm eating less overall which helps plus the nature of my job I'm rushing around alot less on nights.

Oh that's interesting, I guess yeah with less pressure it's a lot easier to manage. I'll keep that in mind. Thank you for your reply :)

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work mainly late shifts 1pm-9pm. I never work early shifts I can not cope with them.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Working unusual hours is not really a problem longer term.. you’ll just need to adjust your basal rates to suite the fact that you are active in those hours and not sleeping. And vice versa

Carry fast acting carbs.. and check bg regularly

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, well I work a shift system including nights and actually it can be a problem. You may need to adjust your basal rates as above but this is not an easy process because any adjustment of a basal rate can take up to2/3 days to bed in as it were, meaning by the time your body gets used to that change you are back to day shifts. You will need to test for yourself but don't be put off by nights, you can find a way through. The body clock gets messed up too so you may find your levels start to go up or down in an unexpected manner and your usual bolus insulin requirements may need changing. It sounds like a faff but after a while you will be able to adjust. If you will be doing permanent nights it may even be easier as that will become 'normal' and routine for you, until you come to your days off. I find that when I am on nights, I may have a meal/snack around 2am, then I go to bed at 8am and find that my levels go really low when I am sleeping during the day. I have to account for this by using less basal the day before or by having a low carb snack ay 2am which requires no insulin. You will be able to find a way that works for you I'm sure, with trial & error. x

Joe261985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been working nights for a good few years now.

As some have said above nights alone seems to work better for me than when I did a mixture of shifts including nights as now I only have to deal with my days on or off. I don't find the control to bad, I am on medtronic pump and have dexcom to help me but I have found it generally works well as I have a work and day off profile for basal. The only time I have to really have extra focus on it is the first day of each as changing profile and sleeping at the opposite end of the day takes me a day to catch up so the first one of each is a bit of a lottery with my blood sugars so I just have to monitor them a bit closer and do a few more adjustments.

It helps that I work 4 on 4 off as I get a bit more of a break, don't know if it would be any harder on a 5 on 2 off rota with less days to get a normal sleep pattern.

As with all things diabetes no two people get the same results so you will only really know if you try, but as you can see from the replies it is manageable and can be done for some, I think it is like nights in general, some people get on great and it works for them others cannot do it at all.