Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6846E9EE-AF31-4181-92C2-7D50751546C3.jpeg
B960616A-1C72-4654-9D97-2E2ED707A2B8.jpeg
Congratulations
I have been a bit reticent about posting my changes but this has encouraged so here's my before and after, from 110 at the time down to about 72 now which I have just realised is about 6stone

Still got work to hopefully improve the bits that have sagged but all in all, I'm much happier but won't lie, it is hard at times and I don't like how my body looks especially the stomach and bum but that will come with time.

Excuse the beard... It's a total mess :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dudette1

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
View attachment 49119 View attachment 49120 Congratulations
I have been a bit reticent about posting my changes but this has encouraged so here's my before and after, from 110 at the time down to about 72 now which I have just realised is about 6stone

Still got work to hopefully improve the bits that have sagged but all in all, I'm much happier but won't lie, it is hard at times and I don't like how my body looks especially the stomach and bum but that will come with time.

Excuse the beard... It's a total mess :)

Don’t ever be ashamed of how you look, we all have insecurities, our looks don’t define who we are as a person. look at you, you look absolutely amazing and should be so proud of yourself. I’m glad you have had the confidence to post,you look great. every journey is a story. Oh and as a lover of all beards i think it looks awsome..I’m loving seeing and hearing each and everyone’s journey and thank you all for sharing. If it helps spur someone on to make a start or just talk about the steps they want to take, I’d say we all have helped. I’m proud of you all, we all had to start somewhere didn’t we.
I think the song of the day should be: Queen (don’t stop me now)

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so everyone has been really kind helping me with the stopping smoking. I did mention I had lost weight and people on here do weigh in fridays, thought it would be good to do a how it’s going, what you are doing to help you lose weight, give people tips on what helps, or exercise regime. If you are looking to lose weight let’s talk about it and what are your struggles and strengths.
I will start, if no one wants to join In I will look real silly but I am stopping smoking and I have insomnia tonight so need to do something. View attachment 49110
This is how it started, my friend sent me this pic and along with being diagnosed with diabetes, I knew I had to make some changes, I was 17 stone 7lbs here. So I downloaded an app called “lose it” and it’s like a calorie counter but not restricting, you eat what you want. I scanned the barcode on foods and if it took me over my calories I reduced portion sizes or ate something else that was a better choice. I bought a French bulldog who saved my life by making me get up and walk ( I’m in no way encouraging anyone to buy a dog) they are a lot of work. He unfortunately had epilepsy and had a fit and never recovered, I will always remember him as the dog that changed my life. I have another dog, who is a lot bigger than a frenchie and needs to run at full speed for at least an hour a day, safe to say we walk 6 miles a day 2 to 3 times a day and he doesn’t know he’s born or should I say, I walk and he just runs and runs and you get the drift. Then joining this site I learnt so much from everyone, swapped the eating anything, to low carb but still logging it on the lose it app,
I couldn’t seem to move the last bit so I started fasting 16 hours and eat in the 8 hour window, I am not religiously low carb, I have a jacket spud once a week or a Sunday dinner. I do this through choice as I don’t want to be miserable and missing potatoes forever was making me miserable. So now I look like this and weigh 10 stone 11lbs View attachment 49111
You don’t have to post pics by the way. I’m not looking for praise, I did this for myself and I’m proud of it, but it shows you don’t have to go to the gym to get in some sort of manage control, I have never touched a weight or machine and started off slowly with walking 1 mile, then 2 until I just do it religiously everyday for as long as I can, and obviously because I have to take the dog out.
Hope this is ok to post on here. If anyone would like to add anything, their journey, what they want to achieve. Be nice to hear everyone’s stories.
Stay safe everyone

Wow I’m so inspired by your story and your lifestyle change you look fab. amazing you’ll be coming off your meds soon. I’m sure it was so challenging. I feel like I’ve just realised how unhealthy everyone is as a society now. Grocery stopping I just feel like so many carbs and unhealthy things everywhere it’s nuts!

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I love this post what a good idea! Hi! I was diagnosed in August 2020 with a HBA1C of 91! I’d been feeling very for a good few months before that, I was so shocked and very scared at diagnosis. I cut out a lot of carbs, but still had the odd bag of crisps here and there!fast forward to now, I’ve lost almost 5 stone, 2lbs away from it but I can’t seem to get the last 2lbs off! My new HBA1C is 32 and I’m in remission and off medication. This group has been so helpful with advice when I’ve needed it.

Wow that’s an amazing HBA1c for a diabetic off meds. You should be so proud and off your lifestyle chance and weigh loss, such determination. As a mother is must be so hard cooking for non diabetics though. I’m so sorry to hear about your nan. Stress is terrible for blood sugars as you will know. Where you able to get your fasting numbers down to non diabetic range if you don’t mind me asking and how?

Newly diagnosed

Wow that’s an amazing HBA1c for a diabetic off meds. You should be so proud and off your lifestyle chance and weigh loss, such determination. As a mother is must be so hard cooking for non diabetics though. I’m so sorry to hear about your nan. Stress is terrible for blood sugars as you will know. Where you able to get your fasting numbers down to non diabetic range if you don’t mind me asking and how?
Aw, thank you for your lovely kind words. When I was diagnosed I wasn’t really sure what to eat, so I just went for meat and salad, for most meals,I’m lucky my kids aren’t overly fussy so I just add a bit more carbs to their meals, so if it’s chicken and salad, I’ll just add chips to their plates and if it’s stir fry I’ll add rice/ noodles to theirs. I try and keep meals as straight forward as possible. I’ve added more foods in now and it seems to be working for me. Sometimes I slip off the rails, no-ones perfect! My fasting numbers vary between 4.5 and 5.5. They came down within a few months. Hope this is helpful! Xx

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Hey is me 19 months ago vs today.
me.jpg

I just have to say wow to everyone on this post, great transformations, not just on the weight lost but inj beat the monster called diabetes.

I was about 19 stone in the photo on the right and on the left about 12 stone on the right.

My story is, I was sent home from work 19months and 2 days ago. But ended up in hospital with a high heart rate. Due to very high blood sugars. Obviously was diagnosed type diabetic. I thought I was big but I thought I was relative healthy as I was walking about twice a day for about an hour.
So next day I started doing some research, bought the diabetic code by Dr Jason Fung, 60 ways to lower your blood sugar by Dennis Pollock. Then watched countless videos on you tube, found Beat diabetes channel and a few others. Went Low carb, high protein added ruining and weight to my fitness approach, still walking as well in fact more now. My dogs loves me for that, well sometimes. 19motnhs and 2 days, I have lost the weight control my blood sugars and feel great. I do have the odd cheat meal like a pizza, fish and chip ect and the odd beer or 3, as this keeps me sane and actually help my mental health.

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I do have the odd cheat meal like a pizza, fish and chip ect and the odd beer or 3, as this keeps me sane and actually help my mental health.
Quite the change. Congratulations! Apart from the beers I’m the same. I am massively different than I was and I know it may change one day but at the moment I can tolerate those cheat meals occasionally. I do think if I didn’t do the exercise as well that the impact would be too much so I try and do some cardio after the event but as I do know from the readings, the impact of some higher carbs (chips and fish for sure) last well into the day after

maybe one day science will create low carb potatoes… one can hope!

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hey is me 19 months ago vs today. View attachment 49176

I just have to say wow to everyone on this post, great transformations, not just on the weight lost but inj beat the monster called diabetes.

I was about 19 stone in the photo on the right and on the left about 12 stone on the right.

My story is, I was sent home from work 19months and 2 days ago. But ended up in hospital with a high heart rate. Due to very high blood sugars. Obviously was diagnosed type diabetic. I thought I was big but I thought I was relative healthy as I was walking about twice a day for about an hour.
So next day I started doing some research, bought the diabetic code by Dr Jason Fung, 60 ways to lower your blood sugar by Dennis Pollock. Then watched countless videos on you tube, found Beat diabetes channel and a few others. Went Low carb, high protein added ruining and weight to my fitness approach, still walking as well in fact more now. My dogs loves me for that, well sometimes. 19motnhs and 2 days, I have lost the weight control my blood sugars and feel great. I do have the odd cheat meal like a pizza, fish and chip ect and the odd beer or 3, as this keeps me sane and actually help my mental health.

Wow!! You look amazing.. gotta say that’s some transformation, I bet you feel so much better. It goes to show what we can achieve even if it’s a struggle to start. We think we live relatively healthy but our bodies say, nope you need to do better.. I think you look absolutely amazing and a huge well done to you I agree with the cheat meal, definitely keeps you sane and things taste so much better when you don’t have them all the time.

Reactions: Andy_Warlow

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Quite the change. Congratulations! Apart from the beers I’m the same. I am massively different than I was and I know it may change one day but at the moment I can tolerate those cheat meals occasionally. I do think if I didn’t do the exercise as well that the impact would be too much so I try and do some cardio after the event but as I do know from the readings, the impact of some higher carbs (chips and fish for sure) last well into the day after

Oh if only we had low carb potatoes

Reactions: Andy_Warlow

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,

Hopefully, I have accepted, that I will have a bad, with Blood glucose everyone now and then. But like yourself if I do an extra long run or walk before or after the effects are minimal .

Also On the cheat meal day, I try and train fasted in the morning and the helps big time as, I find it depletes my sugars.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Wow!! You look amazing.. gotta say that’s some transformation, I bet you feel so much better. It goes to show what we can achieve even if it’s a struggle to start. We think we live relatively healthy but our bodies say, nope you need to do better.. I think you look absolutely amazing and a huge well done to you I agree with the cheat meal, definitely keeps you sane and things taste so much better when you don’t have them all the time.

Thanks, yeah could agree more, about that we think we are living healthly, but are bodies are nope your not.

In a weird way it was a bit of blessing getting diabetes as it was the kick up the ass, I needed.

But I am also got right into this fitness life style and going to try and take it right to the next level, as I love training and eating right, well most of the time like most people. I do have days I don't want to train. But now the Gyms are back open I am buzzing.