Freestyle Libre

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My diabetes nurse has just told me that if I complete a questionnaire and do an online course for this then I can have it subject o all being ok their end. She is going to email me this. In the meantime Where can I find out about this, all I know is that you wear a sensor and you scan for your blood glucose reading. Thank you.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My diabetes nurse has just told me that if I complete a questionnaire and do an online course for this then I can have it subject o all being ok their end. She is going to email me this. In the meantime Where can I find out about this, all I know is that you wear a sensor and you scan for your blood glucose reading. Thank you.

Well that's about it really, you wear a sensor and you scan it. Joking apart, if you go onto the Libre website you will get loads of information, or google the subject and you will get loads more and search THIS site where there is also plenty of information. x

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are some good YouTube’s you can watch that show you how to apply the sensor & how to use the information it gathers. With a bit of luck you might get straight on to a Libra 2 which has alarm features. Might be worth investigating videos on both.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would recommend checking out two things
- The Libre website (https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/) has quite a few useful videos
- At the top right of this page is a Search which will help you find all the threads with "Libre" in the title. Please please please pay special attention to the limitations. The official website won't mention any of these and few DSNs seem to be aware of them. If you do not understand these limitations you will be disappointed and potentially over-treat highs and lows.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well that's about it really, you wear a sensor and you scan it. Joking apart, if you go onto the Libre website you will get loads of information, or google the subject and you will get loads more and search THIS site where there is also plenty of information. x

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There are some good YouTube’s you can watch that show you how to apply the sensor & how to use the information it gathers. With a bit of luck you might get straight on to a Libra 2 which has alarm features. Might be worth investigating videos on both.
Great idea, thank you

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would recommend checking out two things
- The Libre website (https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/) has quite a few useful videos
- At the top right of this page is a Search which will help you find all the threads with "Libre" in the title. Please please please pay special attention to the limitations. The official website won't mention any of these and few DSNs seem to be aware of them. If you do not understand these limitations you will be disappointed and potentially over-treat highs and lows.
Thank you very much for the heads up

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much for the heads up

and don't forget, you can ask us ANY questions you want as many of us use them and we are happy to tell you all about them warts & all. I LOVE mine by the way albeit there are one or two cons. x

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
and don't forget, you can ask us ANY questions you want as many of us use them and we are happy to tell you all about them warts & all. I LOVE mine by the way albeit there are one or two cons. x
That's very kind i do have one question at the moment...do you have one of these permanently or is it just to identify a pattern in sugar levels? Just that it says sensors are for 14 days?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's very kind i do have one question at the moment...do you have one of these permanently or is it just to identify a pattern in sugar levels? Just that it says sensors are for 14 days?

Hi there. I have one permanently. I didn't at first but was prescribed the Libre around 8 months ago. The sensors are for 14 days so I'm given two sensors a month on prescription. Of course it does show you patterns but for me, a type 1 it's used for determining insulin doses and oncoming hypos. x

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there. I have one permanently. I didn't at first but was prescribed the Libre around 8 months ago. The sensors are for 14 days so I'm given two sensors a month on prescription. Of course it does show you patterns but for me, a type 1 it's used for determining insulin doses and oncoming hypos. x

Ok thanks very much, wow this is all a bit mind blowing for me after 40 years of finger pricks!

Reactions: KK123

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am puzzled how anyone relies on the Libre to manage BG. I use them occasionally (keep one in the cupboard) for trends eg. when I am ill, stressful events, random high levels not related to food but I find such a big disparity with finger pricks. I put on my third ever on Monday in prep for my second Covid jab on Tuesday. It is showing a trend of flatlining higher than I am comfortable with (including the expected rise after eating). This morning on waking I was 5.8 then I finger pricked with Codefree and Tee2 and each gave 7.0. The one I used with the first jab flatlined lower than my meter.

Diane fluteplayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Team sports, housework, being talked down to, big towns, slugs and cabbage white caterpillars
I am puzzled how anyone relies on the Libre to manage BG. I use them occasionally (keep one in the cupboard) for trends eg. when I am ill, stressful events, random high levels not related to food but I find such a big disparity with finger pricks. I put on my third ever on Monday in prep for my second Covid jab on Tuesday. It is showing a trend of flatlining higher than I am comfortable with (including the expected rise after eating). This morning on waking I was 5.8 then I finger pricked with Codefree and Tee2 and each gave 7.0. The one I used with the first jab flatlined lower than my meter.

I’ve found mine surprisingly accurate, and when there are significant discrepancies, it seems consistent, but check for errors around both high and low readings. It seems to behave differently for different people. The trend arrows are invaluable. Once, when I had to manage without it for a couple of days, I felt lost without knowing where it was going! The graphs are great too.

Abbot also do ‘webinars’ from time to time. These are brilliant.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hi, I appreciate your honesty about it but I am willing to try it, it is all new to me and I want to remain positive about it for that reason. If it helps in SOME way, then all to the good.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

For me as a type 1 it's a question of having to really, it's used to determine how much insulin to take as well. The libre is prescribed (to some) instead of the glucose strips so unless you buy your own strips and use them too, you're 'stuck' with it. Having said that, I MUCH prefer it to numerous finger prick checks but when it shows a lower or higher than anticipated reading, I always back it up with a finger test (with my own strips plus they DO give me one box every two months). I would hate not to have it, it makes you feel normal, it's so easy to swipe as you are going along and despite the odd dud, it's fab.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I appreciate your honesty about it but I am willing to try it, it is all new to me and I want to remain positive about it for that reason. If it helps in SOME way, then all to the good.
Yes so many use it and it works for them so absolutely go for it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me as a type 1 it's a question of having to really, it's used to determine how much insulin to take as well. The libre is prescribed (to some) instead of the glucose strips so unless you buy your own strips and use them too, you're 'stuck' with it. Having said that, I MUCH prefer it to numerous finger prick checks but when it shows a lower or higher than anticipated reading, I always back it up with a finger test (with my own strips plus they DO give me one box every two months). I would hate not to have it, it makes you feel normal, it's so easy to swipe as you are going along and despite the odd dud, it's fab.
I did not intend to criticise anyone using the Libre so very sorry if it came across that way. It clearly works very well for so many that it does disappoint that its so out of kilter for me. As I say I have only used three for special circumstances and found it useful for trends.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did not intend to criticise anyone using the Libre so very sorry if it came across that way. It clearly works very well for so many that it does disappoint that its so out of kilter for me. As I say I have only used three for special circumstances and found it useful for trends.

Hi Penguin, you definitely do NOT need to apologise, I like hearing about people's different experiences. I find about 1 in every 4 tends to go a bit funny but I do know that for some people it doesn't seem to work as well. Thank you for posting. x