Insulin times

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take 24 units of insulin and one gm of metformin before breakfast around 6.30am, take the same before evening meal which could be anytime between 6.00pm and 9.00pm, insulin is taken 5 to 10 minutes before meal, apparently its a mixture of fast acting and slow release, is it possible to alter the timing, back to watching football where i usually go out after dinner 12.00pm have a few drinks watch the football then a few more drinks before heading home 10.00pm ish (shock, horror)
Would it be ok to take evening injection later than usual, any advice appreciated, surely someone has the same dilemma

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @tinka21, I'm type 1 and haven't used mixed insulin for a long time (about 18 years I think) so things may be different now, but I had to have mine 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before tea, it didn't really matter what time they were, so some days breakfast would be 7am, some days 11am, although tea would be roughly the same time each day. I would be inclined to say it would probably be ok to have your insulin later but I can't say yes it's absolutely fine because I'm not sure.
Do you have a DSN you could ask? Otherwise hopefully someone else will come along and can offer some more up-to-date and accurate advise for you.

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im type 2 , was told to take it 5-10 mins before food, try to keep more or less the same mealtimes .
Hi @tinka21, I'm type 1 and haven't used mixed insulin for a long time (about 18 years I think) so things may be different now, but I had to have mine 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before tea, it didn't really matter what time they were, so some days breakfast would be 7am, some days 11am, although tea would be roughly the same time each day. I would be inclined to say it would probably be ok to have your insulin later but I can't say yes it's absolutely fine because I'm not sure.
Do you have a DSN you could ask? Otherwise hopefully someone else will come along and can offer some more up-to-date and accurate advise for you.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Im type 2 , was told to take it 5-10 mins before food, try to keep more or less the same mealtimes .
Ah, there's your answer then.
I wasn't suggesting you change the timing of your insulin pre-food, I was just sharing my experience and as I said that was about 18 years ago and as a type 1.

Reactions: NaijaChick

Karenhome02

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i take 24 novamix30 morning and night, the DN told me i must have my evening insulin and meal before 8pm? i really dont know why?