Eye complications

RhianSamuel

A question for anyone who has had treatment for retinopathy or maculopathy please, at what stage of the diagnosis did you require treatment? How much treatment did you need and has it been successful?
I have an appointment in a few weeks time (referred in Jan) and I'm starting to worry again so any positive stories would be very welcome

Reactions: 992947x

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
A question for anyone who has had treatment for retinopathy or maculopathy please, at what stage of the diagnosis did you require treatment? How much treatment did you need and has it been successful?
I have an appointment in a few weeks time (referred in Jan) and I'm starting to worry again so any positive stories would be very welcome

Hi Rhian

I had my annual eye screening, who referred me to my local hospital for an appointment which was about three weeks after the screening. I had that appointment about a week ago, and they referred me for 3 x laser eye treatments for my right eye (one month apart) starting in a couple of weeks, and more investigations for my left eye. I can't say if it has been succesful yet as I haven't had the treatment. If anyone else has experience, I would love to learn more about this too!

I thought my right eye was fine, and my left eye was bad because it was blurred, but it seems my right eye is worse than my left (high chance of it bleeding so I am told), although they are still investigating my left. I am having an angiogram in my left eye in a few weeks. If I remember right the letter said Maculopathy in the right eye.

RhianSamuel

Hi Rhian

I had my annual eye screening, who referred me to my local hospital for an appointment which was about three weeks after the screening. I had that appointment about a week ago, and they referred me for 3 x laser eye treatments for my right eye (one month apart) starting in a couple of weeks, and more investigations for my left eye. I can't say if it has been succesful yet as I haven't had the treatment. If anyone else has experience, I would love to learn more about this too!

I thought my right eye was fine, and my left eye was bad because it was blurred, but it seems my right eye is worse than my left (high chance of it bleeding so I am told), although they are still investigating my left. I am having an angiogram in my left eye in a few weeks. If I remember right the letter said Maculopathy in the right eye.

I'm sorry to hear that. How are you feeling about having the treatment? Hopefully it will stabilise things for you and you won't need anything further doing Hopefully other members who have experienced similar can help give us some hope and advice x

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry to hear that. How are you feeling about having the treatment? Hopefully it will stabilise things for you and you won't need anything further doing Hopefully other members who have experienced similar can help give us some hope and advice x

To be honest, the first thing I thought, was yes - investigate the left eye. Not so sure about the laser surgery on the right eye. I don't even understand really what "the eye might bleed" means. I don't understand enough about what they are doing, or why, or whether getting a grip on my diabetic control (which I have done now for a few weeks) could reverse what has happened, or at least slow it down. I need to find out more myself - and seem to be as concerned as you.

I suppose I had better do some research. I have just done some research, and came across this - this really surprised me, and I found it quite unsettling.

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi @RhianSamuel and @992947x Although my treatment occurred in both eyes between 1979 and 1983, what you see in my avatar is a realistic picture, showing only reading glasses strung round my neck! My general vision is still very good in spite of the primitive lasers used at that time. I had the 1st photocoagulation performed 20 years after diagnosis. I think treatment now is considerably more effective, partly because you stand more chance of maintaining better control than 40 years ago. Inevitably, with everything that is thrown at the human body, whether viruses, or general stress etc, glucose levels will fluctuate, but don't get stressed as a result. After the first 20 years of very poor control, I have not had any laser treatment since. I wish you both the best of luck

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RhianSamuel and @992947x Although my treatment occurred in both eyes between 1979 and 1983, what you see in my avatar is a realistic picture, showing only reading glasses strung round my neck! My general vision is still very good in spite of the primitive lasers used at that time. I had the 1st photocoagulation performed 20 years after diagnosis. I think treatment now is considerably more effective, partly because you stand more chance of maintaining better control than 40 years ago. Inevitably, with everything that is thrown at the human body, whether viruses, or general stress etc, glucose levels will fluctuate, but don't get stressed as a result. After the first 20 years of very poor control, I have not had any laser treatment since. I wish you both the best of luck

Thank you for the information about your experience. This has reassured me somewhat. I really appreciate you posting.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

RhianSamuel

Yes this is reassuring to hear, thank you!

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

RhianSamuel

To be honest, the first thing I thought, was yes - investigate the left eye. Not so sure about the laser surgery on the right eye. I don't even understand really what "the eye might bleed" means. I don't understand enough about what they are doing, or why, or whether getting a grip on my diabetic control (which I have done now for a few weeks) could reverse what has happened, or at least slow it down. I need to find out more myself - and seem to be as concerned as you.

I suppose I had better do some research. I have just done some research, and came across this - this really surprised me, and I found it quite unsettling.
I'm not sure what you found (no link is showing) but in my experience the internet isn't always the best place to seek reassurance. I usually find forums like this much more helpful

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure what you found (no link is showing) but in my experience the internet isn't always the best place to seek reassurance. I usually find forums like this much more helpful

I agee mostly, but this is a leaflet that is sent out to people by the NHS when you have the appointment which explains what they do when you go for an appointment. You should be able to click the red "this" word in my post above.

RhianSamuel

I agee mostly, but this is a leaflet that is sent out to people by the NHS when you have the appointment which explains what they do when you go for an appointment. You should be able to click the red "this" word in my post above.
Ah yes, I'm familiar with this info. It's quite a daunting thought isn't it. If it helps though, people say the injections really aren't that bad, it's more the thought of it that's taumatic not the actual prodecure (which is apparently over in seconds).
I do hope everything goes well for you and please let me know how you get on x

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes, I'm familiar with this info. It's quite a daunting thought isn't it. If it helps though, people say the injections really aren't that bad, it's more the thought of it that's taumatic not the actual prodecure (which is apparently over in seconds).

Thanks Rhian. I will do :)

Dark Horse

There are 2 types of sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy. One is diabetic macular oedema (diabetic maculopathy) and is described in the leaflet you have linked to. The other is proliferative diabetic retinopathy as described in this leaflet from Moorfields https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR).pdf

It is possible to have both types of sight-threatening retinopathy in the same eye.

Treatment is generally more successful before any symptoms appear, hence the need for screening. Good diabetic control minimises the risk of further progression.

Reactions: Struma

RhianSamuel

There are 2 types of sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy. One is diabetic macular oedema (diabetic maculopathy) and is described in the leaflet you have linked to. The other is proliferative diabetic retinopathy as described in this leaflet from Moorfields https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/Proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR).pdf

It is possible to have both types of sight-threatening retinopathy in the same eye.

Treatment is generally more successful before any symptoms appear, hence the need for screening. Good diabetic control minimises the risk of further progression.
Thank you for this information, very helpful. Is it usu

Thank you for posting this information, it was an interesting read. Is it usually when you reach the PDR stage that treatment is needed? I know everyone is different but was just hoping for an indication of at what stage treatment is generally advised.

Dark Horse

Thank you for this information, very helpful. Is it usu

Thank you for posting this information, it was an interesting read. Is it usually when you reach the PDR stage that treatment is needed? I know everyone is different but was just hoping for an indication of at what stage treatment is generally advised.
Regarding retinopathy, treatment is usually offered when someone has reached the PDR stage but if the ophthalmologist feels that there is severe pre-proliferative retinopathy and progression to PDR is very likely in the near future, treatment may offered at that stage. Regarding maculopathy, mild cases may be monitored in the hope that they resolve without treatment but once the thickness of the retina reaches a certain stage due to oedema (usually measured using OCT) treatment will be offered.

Reactions: RhianSamuel

RhianSamuel

Regarding retinopathy, treatment is usually offered when someone has reached the PDR stage but if the ophthalmologist feels that there is severe pre-proliferative retinopathy and progression to PDR is very likely in the near future, treatment may offered at that stage. Regarding maculopathy, mild cases may be monitored in the hope that they resolve without treatment but once the thickness of the retina reaches a certain stage due to oedema (usually measured using OCT) treatment will be offered.
Thank you so much for this information, much appreciated x

Reactions: Dark Horse

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a few laser zaps in both eyes now. Several sessions. In my case, it followed my stroke, which stopped blood flow to half my brain and face which was quite dramatic. I kept my eyesight after the CVE, but the much-reduced blood flow led to my eyes growing new capillaries to try to repair the damage. These are not too strong and they can leak or rupture, causing dramatic floaters suddenly obscuring the vision. The laser was used to cauterize these capillaries, and the back of my eyes in the photos they do each year looks like a moonscape. However, the good news is that I was a driver before my CVE, I took the mandated holiday after and then got the go ahead to return to work and drive again. I did not even have to inform DVLA about the surgery, but it would probably have been better if I had at the time.

Three years ago I had to swap my old DVLA driving licence, and submit myself to the DVLA sight test, which is a special one for drivers. I happened to pass it with no problems, Yesterday I had my eyesight tested again because I will be repeating the DVLA renewal again I have not yet had the special tests, but the ophthalmologist was ok with me being able to reapply for my licence since I met the chart part of the test ok. My prescription has not changed since the last time I was fitted for glasses about 7 years ago, and my capillaries have stopped growing.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, and I can see it (literally). Hopefully, I will remain a driver this time - the portents are good.

I can only speak about the laser treatment, and it is pretty well painless. The only problem comes if they do a burst of quick shots on the same area at once. My guy was good and he kept the beam on the move to reduce this, but a couple of times I had to tap the table to tell him when it was becoming uncomfortable.

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

I had my laser treatment a couple of weeks back. I was quite scared, but the process was painless. They did say I might experience permanent reduction in night vision (seeing things in poor light), and get permanent floaters (grey floating things in my eye).

I actually got both - when I look in the drawers or into corners, I see dark shadows rather than clear colours. All my underwear looks black in the drawer for example, and it is hard to make out which is black, red, blue. I also get big floaters, but apparently the brain adjusts to them and I will only see them when I look for them in due course. I had to do a eye test (reading the letters on the chart) at the hospital on Friday just gone, and I had a big grey blob the size of the eye chart next to the chart, so I could still see a lot of the letters. I guess it was to the right of the chart, as they laser around the sides of the eyes, rather than the centre. Examples at the minute are finding it difficult to work at my monitor when the screen is white (I can turn it to black in many instances, but not all) because the floaters obscure my vision, and make it difficult to concentrate, and also gives me headaches. I get disorientated too if I move my head too quickly, I think that is due to the floaters as well. I was supposed to have another session in the same eye today, but I couldn't get transport back from the hospital, so I have had to rearrange.

I kind of feel it is a horrid experience, but at the same time, am holding onto the idea that it is better than going blind completely! :)

Reactions: Mike d

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had my laser treatment a couple of weeks back. I was quite scared, but the process was painless. They did say I might experience permanent reduction in night vision (seeing things in poor light), and get permanent floaters (grey floating things in my eye).

I actually got both - when I look in the drawers or into corners, I see dark shadows rather than clear colours. All my underwear looks black in the drawer for example, and it is hard to make out which is black, red, blue. I also get big floaters, but apparently the brain adjusts to them and I will only see them when I look for them in due course. I had to do a eye test (reading the letters on the chart) at the hospital on Friday just gone, and I had a big grey blob the size of the eye chart next to the chart, so I could still see a lot of the letters. I guess it was to the right of the chart, as they laser around the sides of the eyes, rather than the centre. Examples at the minute are finding it difficult to work at my monitor when the screen is white (I can turn it to black in many instances, but not all) because the floaters obscure my vision, and make it difficult to concentrate, and also gives me headaches. I get disorientated too if I move my head too quickly, I think that is due to the floaters as well. I was supposed to have another session in the same eye today, but I couldn't get transport back from the hospital, so I have had to rearrange.

I kind of feel it is a horrid experience, but at the same time, am holding onto the idea that it is better than going blind completely! :)

I've had floaters all my life, decades before I got diabetes. I remember going to the doctor with them when I was about 12 and being told they're harmless. It's weird now because I'm waiting for my eye-screening results and panicking because I've got floaters.