2y/o daughter diagnosed with type 1

Jamie1234

Hi, I've just recently joined the forum. I have been a type 1 diabetic for about 10 Years. Earlier this week my daughter was diagnosed with type 1 having had blood sugars in excess of 30 and keytones of 7. She is now on insulin and doing great, in fact she is totally unfazed by the change in routine and actually enjoys her bloods being checked and get her "medicine". I,m just looking to hear people's experiences with young one and diabetes and any advice they can give? Biggest issue I'm having is stopping the little one wanting sweets!

Heyrehair

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Our daughter was also diagnosed at 2yrs and we straight to pump and CGM as we have quite a volatile presentation, but it sounds like your little one is okay with MDI.

I can relate re the sweets, we have a constant supply of sour patch fizzy sweets in stock. The fruit yoyo winders are a good option sometimes too as are fresh strawberries or grapes.

For overnight hypo's we use half a bottle of glucojuice aka lift, as she can drink it in a semi sleepy state so she's not disturbed too much. It's so concentrated that it doesn't fill her bladder too much either.

Not sure what else I can advise on given your own personal experience of T1, but happy to try and help if you have any other questions.

All the best.

Reactions: Jamie1234

Jamie1234

Hi,

Our daughter was also diagnosed at 2yrs and we straight to pump and CGM as we have quite a volatile presentation, but it sounds like your little one is okay with MDI.

I can relate re the sweets, we have a constant supply of sour patch fizzy sweets in stock. The fruit yoyo winders are a good option sometimes too as are fresh strawberries or grapes.

For overnight hypo's we use half a bottle of glucojuice aka lift, as she can drink it in a semi sleepy state so she's not disturbed too much. It's so concentrated that it doesn't fill her bladder too much either.

Not sure what else I can advise on given your own personal experience of T1, but happy to try and help if you have any other questions.

All the best.

How did you find the pump? I was initially quite hesitant about putting the little one on a pump because she pulls at the tubing on mine and wouldn't want her doing the same wth her own, however they were telling me about a pump which is attached above her bum and has no cables but instead controlled via a portable device? Is this pump your daughter had? How did she get on with having a pump?

The little one had her first "almost" hypo last night with her bloods dropping down to 4 quite rapidly but managed to give her a "fruit shoot" like drink which solved the problem and caused minimum upset to her, so think I'll stick with that!

Thanks for the advice. J

achana

Hi everyone I am new here and I wonder if s=any one got some suggestions or advice you could give to a parent of a newly diagnosed type1 child.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I am new here and I wonder if s=any one got some suggestions or advice you could give to a parent of a newly diagnosed type1 child.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

What do you wish to know?

You are very much more than welcome to start your own thread, if you wish.

Best wishes,

Jay.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @achana , and welcome to the forum.

I think you'll get more responses if you started a thread of your own, as you've replied on a rather old thread so not many people will see your post.

If you do, it might be helpful if you add some more information too. Is it your child who has been diagnosed or do you want to help a friend?
Either way, I wish you all the best. Just let me know if you need help starting your own thread :)