Help Libra Sensor Question

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the free trial and was hooked so decided to self fund. Am using Libre on my iPhone 12, just replaced sensor from ASDA Pharmacy as Abbott hadn’t sent order out in time and kindly someone told me ASDA sold them whereas other pharmacies refused to.

Is there just one sensor? I was under the impression the one for the phone app was Freestyle Libre 2 Sensor but Abbott have sent normal sensors? Am confused please someone tell me I’ve not screwed up and ordered the wrong sensors although I can only see one on the Abbott webpage to order!

Reactions: DisFanJen

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are two types of sensor - Libre 1 and Libre 2. I’m not sure whether the former say Libre 1 on the package or just ‘Libre’. Libre 2 are marked ‘Libre 2’. Both can be used with either a phone app or a reader.

Lakeslover

Abbot sell both types on their website BUT if you click the link to order sensors from the app it takes you straight to the page for libre1 and not to the page for the sensor you are using. I did exactly the same, and Abbott didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with their link. They did offer to replace them if I sent them back, but as I needed a new sensor I didn’t have time to return them and get a replacement. The only difference between version 1 and 2 is that version 1 doesn’t have the alarms.

Reactions: sillymoose

Mitch W

Hi Sillymoose,

I am type 1 and get prescribed, check with your "health care team" I think in some areas Type 2s can now get them prescribed.

Also search online Diabetes and VAT. certainly with type 1 you do not need to pay VAT, I guess type 2 same (sadly for VAT purposes diabetes is classed as Disability.

Boots the chemists didn't know when I bought one a few years ago, I wonder if Asda knew.

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Abbot sell both types on their website BUT if you click the link to order sensors from the app it takes you straight to the page for libre1 and not to the page for the sensor you are using. I did exactly the same, and Abbott didn’t seem to think there was anything wrong with their link. They did offer to replace them if I sent them back, but as I needed a new sensor I didn’t have time to return them and get a replacement. The only difference between version 1 and 2 is that version 1 doesn’t have the alarms.

Thanks for that, feel this is wrong of ABBOTT to do this, as it’s misleading and I’ve now bought three sensors which are useless, yes I can live without the alarms… but the website is misleading.

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I now see the different sensors online via the ABBOTT website… annoyed now for presuming, might go back to ASDA since they are selling them VAT free £2 cheaper than ABBOTT.

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sillymoose,

I am type 1 and get prescribed, check with your "health care team" I think in some areas Type 2s can now get them prescribed.

Also search online Diabetes and VAT. certainly with type 1 you do not need to pay VAT, I guess type 2 same (sadly for VAT purposes diabetes is classed as Disability.

Boots the chemists didn't know when I bought one a few years ago, I wonder if Asda knew.

I do get them VAT free.

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t be bothered returning them, too much hassle will keep and be more mindful next time and double check I am a silly moose! :doctor:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There are two types of sensor - Libre 1 and Libre 2. I’m not sure whether the former say Libre 1 on the package or just ‘Libre’. Libre 2 are marked ‘Libre 2’. Both can be used with either a phone app or a reader.

Hi, both Libres regarding the packaging graphics on the box are pretty much identical.. Apart fro the "2" after Libre.

Hi @sillymoose , the Libre 1 is NFC scan only. The Libre 2 has a Bluetooth transmitter too.
Tha Asda near me stock both too. Just make sure you ask which version you want & check the packaging when they hand them over..

Hi Sillymoose,

I self funded till I got them on script earlier this year.. My local Asda have me on a VAT exempt list & scan an exemption code on the desk when I was purchasing..

Oddly, my local Boots in Sainsburys have no such VAT exempt scheme in place, or didn't want to know when I asked either...

gavmac

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
[Sorry, new to this and a bit confused. I was issued with a Libre 2 monitor and 2 x Libre 2 sensors. However my prescription has now come through and my latest sensors are just marked Libre. Are they the same? Is it just the monitor that's changed?

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA

Mitch W

[Sorry, new to this and a bit confused. I was issued with a Libre 2 monitor and 2 x Libre 2 sensors. However my prescription has now come through and my latest sensors are just marked Libre. Are they the same? Is it just the monitor that's changed?

Go and speak to pharmacy, sensors need relevant scanners. App on smartphone works both types. If you start either type of sensor on phone it can't then register with meter. If you start 1st with meter it then also works with meter and phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can’t be bothered returning them, too much hassle will keep and be more mindful next time and double check I am a silly moose! :doctor:

Just to add spoke to Abbott chat and am returning they sent me a pre-paid label to use, so packed up and they will send the replacements when I upload the postage!

Reactions: joss.t2

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, both Libres regarding the packaging graphics on the box are pretty much identical.. Apart fro the "2" after Libre.

Hi @sillymoose , the Libre 1 is NFC scan only. The Libre 2 has a Bluetooth transmitter too.
Tha Asda near me stock both too. Just make sure you ask which version you want & check the packaging when they hand them over..

I self funded till I got them on script earlier this year.. My local Asda have me on a VAT exempt list & scan an exemption code on the desk when I was purchasing..

Oddly, my local Boots in Sainsburys have no such VAT exempt scheme in place, or didn't want to know when I asked either...

Noticed that yesterday, three ASDA had Libre 1 in and the furthest away had Libre 2, I was convinced I’d ordered the right ones online- won’t make that mistake again,

sillymoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I don’t have the answer to this but maybe someone will come along and answer soon.

Reactions: gavmac

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre 2 monitor will only work with Libre 2 sensors (it will say Libre 2 on the front of the box). If you've been given boxes that say Libre on the front, these are Libre 1, and will only work with Libre 1 monitor. I'd contact the pharmacy to check your prescription, or if you order online check what's on your repeat prescription. Either way, don't open them, as they need replacing.

Reactions: gavmac

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Libre 2 monitor will only work with Libre 2 sensors (it will say Libre 2 on the front of the box). If you've been given boxes that say Libre on the front, these are Libre 1, and will only work with Libre 1 monitor. I'd contact the pharmacy to check your prescription, or if you order online check what's on your repeat prescription. Either way, don't open them, as they need replacing.
I had a similar problem. It’s a pity such leading brands cannot redesign the packaging/colouring to make it obvious that they are different sensors despite the exorbitant price they charge!

Reactions: joss.t2

joss.t2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a similar problem. It’s a pity such leading brands cannot redesign the packaging/colouring to make it obvious that they are different sensors despite the exorbitant price they charge!
Even put an extra sticker on the new ones.