Night rider BluCon Or MiaoMiao

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m looking for something a bit extra for my libre so I’m not scanning all the time, I’ve seen the MiaoMiao and also the night rider BluCon send real-time data without needing to scan, does anyone have either of these? What are the pro’s and cons?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any chance you could get Libre 2?
You won’t need any add on with that.
With some very minor tweaking you can get it to send data directly to your phone without scanning.

if that is not possible, I used Miaomiao 2 for a year.
The functionality it provided was great.
I chose version 2 over version 1 due to the smaller profile. But this is achieved with a smaller battery which was a pain because it didn’t last as long as the sensor so I had to charge it in situ.
The Miaomiao customer service to far from ideal so when my battery life declined to only 3 days, I didn’t bother attempting to contact them and was grateful to upgrade to Libre 2 without the added hassling of charging and extra bulk.

Then to add to the choice, you also have Bubble.
I have read good reports of this and better customer service than the Miaomiao but have no personal experience.

BluCon is older technology. I have not read about this for a few years.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
i have

blucon
miaomiao2
bubble

of the 3 i would go with either bubble or the MM2.. to be honest little in it operation wise between the 2.. the only thing i can say is bubble has better support

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m looking for something a bit extra for my libre so I’m not scanning all the time, I’ve seen the MiaoMiao and also the night rider BluCon send real-time data without needing to scan, does anyone have either of these? What are the pro’s and cons?

Hi,

I seem to remeber you wrote somewhere you use XDrip? A cheaper option. (Free option.) maybe to either get a patched apk if using Libre2 & an Android device..?
Or if that's an issue the Diabox app is a good contender to Xdrip too, which will connect your device directly to the Libre2 without too much faff.

The Miaomiao2 from memory needs a firmware update to handle the L2 algorithm.
The Bubble mini is good to go..

Unless your using the Libre 1. Give the above patched app for Xdrip a go or try Diabox with Libre 2.

Both devices as a bridge I've used. & for a comparison I'll post a picture below.
Both were fixed over the sensor using an armband holding them in place. Personally I found the Bubble footprint a little smaller & more comfortable to wear.
The Bluetooth signal distance with the MM2 with my device. I found impressive.

image.jpeg

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using Blucon for last one and half year, no problems at all, great customer service, chat option is available 24*7. They keep upgrading their apps and technology so they are not old. Best part is very much user friendly

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using blucon for 2 yrs with no problems. Its pretty basic i guess compared to other stuff available but its reliable and saved my life quite a few times ❤thumbs up from me ❤

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been using blucon for 2 yrs with no problems. Its pretty basic i guess compared to other stuff available but its reliable and saved my life quite a few times ❤thumbs up from me ❤
Yes specially during mid night hypos

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now its even helping me with my diet through food insights options I get to discover which food affects my sugars by how much

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any chance you could get Libre 2?
You won’t need any add on with that.
With some very minor tweaking you can get it to send data directly to your phone without scanning.

if that is not possible, I used Miaomiao 2 for a year.
The functionality it provided was great.
I chose version 2 over version 1 due to the smaller profile. But this is achieved with a smaller battery which was a pain because it didn’t last as long as the sensor so I had to charge it in situ.
The Miaomiao customer service to far from ideal so when my battery life declined to only 3 days, I didn’t bother attempting to contact them and was grateful to upgrade to Libre 2 without the added hassling of charging and extra bulk..

@In Response I've just started my first Libre 2 having used Libre 1 for a while with miaomiao1 and then miaomiao 2. Data was then sent directly to my android phone on xdrip without scanning.

How do you get this data sent to your phone without scanning with Libre 2? What 'tweaks' do I need to do please? Started Libre with Libre scanner, which is working ok, but missing predictions on x drip and extra alarm settings.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@In Response I've just started my first Libre 2 having used Libre 1 for a while with miaomiao1 and then miaomiao 2. Data was then sent directly to my android phone on xdrip without scanning.

How do you get this data sent to your phone without scanning with Libre 2? What 'tweaks' do I need to do please? Started Libre with Libre scanner, which is working ok, but missing predictions on x drip and extra alarm settings.
There are a few different approaches,
You could edit the LibreLink app code if you have a Debian distro to hand.
I used OOP2 to hijack the Bluetooth signal and send it to xDrip.
Instructions are available on the xDrip Facebook group.

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks but I don't use Debian distro or Facebook, and don't really want to unless I'm forced to. Do you know anywhere else I can get the instructions from please?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks Jaylee. I've started the current sensor with the Libre reader, so it looks from a quick read of this, that I can't use xdrip with this sensor, but will read it again tomorrow when I'm less tired. Seems a lot of faff compared to Libre 1 and miaomiao, if you have to go through this with every new sensor, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jaylee. I've started the current sensor with the Libre reader, so it looks from a quick read of this, that I can't use xdrip with this sensor, but will read it again tomorrow when I'm less tired. Seems a lot of faff compared to Libre 1 and miaomiao, if you have to go through this with every new sensor, but maybe I'm reading too much into it.

I have to admit, I've never used the Abbot readers. But from what I've read, once you've tethered the reader L2 via Bluetooth to the reader it won't link to the phone..

Now I've just had a quick look at the Abbott reader user manual. Is there any way to turn the Abbott reader off completely?
Worth a try.
This is how I used to switch from my stand alone watch to just use my phone with the MM2 or Bubble? Turn it off.
(Some days, wearing a watch with the work I do just isn't practical.)