Libre 2 and sunshine

Lakeslover

Has anyone else found their libre has been inaccurate in hot sunshine.

my sensor was new on Tuesday. It has been fine until this afternoon. I spent about 5 hours working in the garden with the sensor often in full sun.

coming in the levels dropped over about 30 mins until it was showing a steady 3.6 for over 2 hours. I felt fine so checked my blood on two separate meters and it showed 8.6 on both. One hour later it still says 3.6 on the libre so it’s nothing to do with a time lag.

wondered if this has happened to anyone else, and if so did it recover or did you have to replace it?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Lakeslover mine seems to be doing OK - I went out for a very hot bike ride amongst other things - and is only now dropping below 5.
Hope yours recovers overnight.

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1 for 60+yers - Libre2 for about a year.
I have had no sunsine issues but there is another problem I am curious about <>
The last 3 meters have had no acahol wipes which ahs cause issues with 2 not staying on long enough to register -
Eventually solved by using a rag dipped in industrial alcahol.
Wondering if any one else has seen these missing wipes.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I only know how the Libre works for me.
I also place mine under arm.. Recently been working for a living in some "sun traps." (Landscaping.)
No issues. within 0.6Mmol discrepancy with the meter. (With the bit of lag.) & I'm happy.

T1 for 60+yers - Librr2 for about a year.
The last 3 meters have had no acahol wipes which ahs cause issues with 2 not staying on long enough to register -

Hello. I exfoliate prior to fixing the sensor..

Recently had to buy my own wipes. Abbott have stopped incorporating the alcohol wipes in the box due to the company that supplied them not complying with some "regulation" or another..? There was a topic a few months back on it..

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Yes I noticed, I had one fall off recently, Abbots were very good and replaced it. During the conversation it was mentioned that if you don’t let the area you have used the alcohol wipe on dry properly it sometimes can effect the adhesive. This wasn’t my problem think I had a one off dud one. I wondered afterwards if this is why they are leaving them out now.

Lakeslover

Overnight I got the sensor error message so maybe it was just another dud sensor. I’ll get in touch with Abbott.

yes, they sent an email out saying they weren’t going to include the wipes anymore. Trying to cut costs I expect. You can buy them from a chemist.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

My last batch of Libre 2 still have the wipes.
I only ever use 1 wipe so I have a stock of spares at the moment.
I assume that they are cheap enough on line.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OptiPro-Alcohol-Pre-Injection-Isopropyl-Wipes/dp/B00NMHMYMK/
from a quick search.

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got some surprising answers to-day on missing wipes-
1) from abbot "Not doing wipes any more."
2) from surgery - there was a problem with wipes so left out so sensors could still be produced and despatched.
Note instruction says use wipe etc -
3) surgery this said they expected wipes to come back soon???
Tried 3 local chemists this morning only to be told - we do not supply them.
Amazon is the best solution - 100 for £3.18

I am not convinsed that this is any thing other thas a cost saving ploy -
Perhaps Abbott will see these comments and clarify the situation bo post to this threadand surprise us all!

sharonlmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Yes same here, no alcohol wipes in my last 3 months of sensors, so I purchased a box from Amazon

jenfoolery

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My most recent sensor still had wipes (I'm in the US though, so our supply chains may vary). They're pretty cheap and I had bought a big box of them anyway for fingerstick checks and my Trulicity injections. Good idea to have a supply for first aid anyway.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

my sensor was new on Tuesday. It has been fine until this afternoon. I spent about 5 hours working in the garden with the sensor often in full sun.

coming in the levels dropped over about 30 mins until it was showing a steady 3.6 for over 2 hours. I felt fine so checked my blood on two separate meters and it showed 8.6 on both. One hour later it still says 3.6 on the libre so it’s nothing to do with a time lag.

wondered if this has happened to anyone else, and if so did it recover or did you have to replace it?
Hi,
The sensor might just be wrong, bit the libre 2 box says their temperature range is between 4 and 25 degrees C. If you've had it in direct heat above that, I wonder if that has caused damage to the workings? Mine is more under my arm so I've never been concerned about it overheating, so maybe rotating where you apply it might help you?

abbyhanmer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have literally just thought the same. Been mowing lawn in 27 degree heat today and am currently at 3.4, but finger prick says 7.3... been like this for a few hours