Private HbA1c test advice.

Jin44

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

I posted before when I was waiting for HbA1c results, but need some advice please. I am high risk of diabetes, I had gestational diabetes, family history father and brother, I am larger than I should be....

I had blurred vision and went to GP who did bloods HbA1c was 36 last year then 41, 6 months ago and 42 in July. GP said this is prediabetes now just and took fasting bloods. Came back at 8.6 they re checked and was 7.4. I average between 7-9 fasting each morning despite what I eat the night before.

After meals I am between 11-15 yesterday I was naughty yesterday and had a McDonalds burger and fries and was 15.4, 2 hours later ans 5 hours later before bed was still only down to 12.

GP advice was to not check sugars as it will confuse me, they referred me for diabetes prevention course and said they would re check HbA1c in 12 months. I think this is too long to wait so I wondered are the online tests any good? Or should I pay privately, just to see where my levels are before the 12 months.

Thank you for getting this far!

M

Member496333

Your doctor is misguided. How on Earth can you tackle the problem without measuring your progress and response to food? Typical GP. If your only tool is an annual HbA1c you’ll have died of old age before you learn which foods cause you problems and which don’t. More like it will confuse them if you tell them the hallowed ‘whole’ grains are the worst thing you can possibly eat. Continue testing your own blood whenever you wish to. None of their business.

As for HbA1c, there is a home kit on the market called A1C Now, but personally I think at this stage you’ll be better served by measuring your glucose during the day with a glucometer. Even if only for a few weeks while you learn how your body is reacting to food. See the link in my signature for a guide on how you might like to address the diet.

Reactions: Jin44

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have no experience of private blood tests and suspect that with the shortage of blood testing vials in England, currently, there may be less options.
You are concerned that your blood sugar levels are high, your doctor has told you you are prediabetic and you know that you are at risk of type 2 diabetes. So, why wait for a diagnosis when you can make changes now? Many people with type 2 on this forum have great success when reducing the amount of carbs that they eat.

Jin44

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have no experience of private blood tests and suspect that with the shortage of blood testing vials in England, currently, there may be less options.
You are concerned that your blood sugar levels are high, your doctor has told you you are prediabetic and you know that you are at risk of type 2 diabetes. So, why wait for a diagnosis when you can make changes now? Many people with type 2 on this forum have great success when reducing the amount of carbs that they eat.

Thank you for your reply, sorry I should have made more clear I have made several changes already, drastically cut carbs and sugars.
I am losing weight, I agree I was bad and had a small burger and fries from McDonalds the other night and this was wrong but even with the changes I am seeing high levels. Out of 52 readings on my meter from 2 weeks the average is 9.1 and had 36 readings over 11. To me a year to wait for another test and to stop testing as doctor suggested seemed wrong and wondered if I should get a private HbA1c test in about 6 months instead.

I can fast for 12 hours and still be 9. I’ve had some chicken for lunch with small salad and water and I am now at 11.

Jin44

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Your doctor is misguided. How on Earth can you tackle the problem without measuring your progress and response to food? Typical GP. If your only tool is an annual HbA1c you’ll have died of old age before you learn which foods cause you problems and which don’t. More like it will confuse them if you tell them the hallowed ‘whole’ grains are the worst thing you can possibly eat. Continue testing your own blood whenever you wish to. None of their business.

As for HbA1c, there is a home kit on the market called A1C Now, but personally I think at this stage you’ll be better served by measuring your glucose during the day with a glucometer. Even if only for a few weeks while you learn how your body is reacting to food. See the link in my signature for a guide on how you might like to address the diet.

Thank you for this, this is really helpful. When my blurred vision starts I check and there is definitely a pattern, I’ve made another appointment with a different GP for October 1st to see what they say. I even bought a new meter in case it was a faulty meter. But I am averaging over 9 from 2 weeks of testing.

The 12 months does seem too long to wait. I woke this morning after nothing for over 12 hours and level was 9.2. It’s getting worse no matter what I try and change and I am making changes, the McDonalds was a naughty but was a one off.

Thanks again.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@Jin44 Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about what you eat?
Then we might be able to give more advice.
Also, starting weight and current weight?
Sometimes it takes a while to get the BG levels down even when you go LCHF.

As already suggested you are testing your BG and seeing consistently high numbers so you know you have an issue.
What do you think you would change if you had another HbA1c?

Having said that I would expect you to be on 3 or 6 month HbA1c until your BG stabilised.

M

Member496333

Thank you for this, this is really helpful. When my blurred vision starts I check and there is definitely a pattern, I’ve made another appointment with a different GP for October 1st to see what they say. I even bought a new meter in case it was a faulty meter. But I am averaging over 9 from 2 weeks of testing.

The 12 months does seem too long to wait. I woke this morning after nothing for over 12 hours and level was 9.2. It’s getting worse no matter what I try and change and I am making changes, the McDonalds was a naughty but was a one off.

Thanks again.

I know it probably feels futile now but try not to stress too much over it. It will only make things worse. We have all been in your position but you’re in the right place to learn how to make huge improvements. Many folk here have been in much worse shape than you and come out the other side laughing. All is not lost.

Jin44

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Jin44 Perhaps you could tell us a bit more about what you eat?
Then we might be able to give more advice.
Also, starting weight and current weight?
Sometimes it takes a while to get the BG levels down even when you go LCHF.

As already suggested you are testing your BG and seeing consistently high numbers so you know you have an issue.
What do you think you would change if you had another HbA1c?

Having said that I would expect you to be on 3 or 6 month HbA1c until your BG stabilised.

Thank you for your reply, I would have thought I should be offered another HbA1c check sooner than 12 months this was my point.

I have several health conditions and under different hospitals for these conditions. I am asthmatic, regular steroids haven’t helped the weight gain or levels. I have high BP and Cholesterol medication controlled at the moment. Severe oedema all over. I am being tested for heart failure. When I am on steroids my levels are in the 20’s and it’s already been suggested I might need insulin when next on a course. I’ve stayed off them for 2 months apart from inhalers.

I need extensive bowel surgery soon in next few months and wanted to be on top of this first, the blurred vision is awful. It’s one more thing to struggle with and I am sure the is a connection.

I have been referred to an immunologist for more investigations to why I get repeated infections and dermatology due to recurrent abscesses. Last time at GP for infection he checked my BG level and it was 15.2 and 4+ of glucose in wee and they still said lets wait and see what HbA1c result is. Then I had call a month ago to say it’s fine, only slightly pre diabetic and to stop testing as that will confuse me and people without diabetes get high reading too. And they test again in 12 months.

My respiratory consultant said 2 fasting bloods over 7 should be a diagnosis and to start medication. GP says no it’s done by HbA1c so I am confused.

I think medication is needed with my levels, as much as I don’t want to be on another medication I am concerned the damage this might be doing to me.

My BMI is 36 I have lost 9lbs but it is slow, I am unable to exercise due to my other issues.

Lizzie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had similar. I developed steroid induced T2. Fortunately it was discovered really early - long story. The diabetes nurse gave me three months to improve my diet and exercise or I would be put on the diabetic register. I discovered an amazing book by Dr David Cavan on Reverse your T2 Diabetes. So I bought the book, bought a blood sugar monitor - nurse didn’t give me one - made a spreadsheet and tested before and an hour and a half after everything I ate and recorded it. I could see exactly the things that spiked my blood sugar and cut them out of my diet. By the end of the three months i had lost a lot of weight and my blood sugar was below the pre diabetes level. You can do it but you really have to work at it and make that a new way of eating for life really.
Through that book I discovered this website and also the DietDoctor.com website - you can sign up for a really good course they offer - or used to offer - about healthy eating. There is also an amazing course called Second Nature that runs in conjunction with the NHS see if you can persuade your GP to send you on that.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My respiratory consultant said 2 fasting bloods over 7 should be a diagnosis and to start medication. GP says no it’s done by HbA1c so I am confused.

Pro tip.
Listen to your consultant and change your GP.

Jin44

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had similar. I developed steroid induced T2. Fortunately it was discovered really early - long story. The diabetes nurse gave me three months to improve my diet and exercise or I would be put on the diabetic register. I discovered an amazing book by Dr David Cavan on Reverse your T2 Diabetes. So I bought the book, bought a blood sugar monitor - nurse didn’t give me one - made a spreadsheet and tested before and an hour and a half after everything I ate and recorded it. I could see exactly the things that spiked my blood sugar and cut them out of my diet. By the end of the three months i had lost a lot of weight and my blood sugar was below the pre diabetes level. You can do it but you really have to work at it and make that a new way of eating for life really.
Through that book I discovered this website and also the DietDoctor.com website - you can sign up for a really good course they offer - or used to offer - about healthy eating. There is also an amazing course called Second Nature that runs in conjunction with the NHS see if you can persuade your GP to send you on that.

Thank you, I really appreciate this. I will look into the book and course.

Jin44

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Pro tip.
Listen to your consultant and change your GP.

Thank you, I have booked an appointment to see a different GP at the practice in October now. I am hoping by then they will have the letter from consultant appointment.
Consultant was very shocked when I told her 12 month retest and that I am avoiding the steroids because of my levels.

Thanks for listening,

ZoeinKent

Sorry to hear all you're going through, and good on you for making positive changes! I hope the other GP you'll see will agree to another HbA1c sooner. If not, I've used a private company called Thriva and found them to be efficient and reasonably priced. Best of luck!