Can I relax now I know there is no glucose in urine?

SamAm

My son is 2.5 years old and for the last few weeks has been obsessed with drinking. He’s constantly asking for juice, drains it and asks for more. He has always been a pretty rubbish eater but the last maybe 1.5 weeks he’s been eating so much so this is what first raised my eyebrows as I’m usually battling to get him to eat at all. Anyway, I have tested his urine and it’s fine. Am I right to assume that this means it couldn’t be diabetes as it would show on a urine test? Apart from the drinking (he’s started getting upset if I try to stop him taking drink to bed and it’s literally the first thing he asks for in the morning) and increase in appetite he seems absolutely fine. He hasn’t lost any weight and is playing as normal. So I just stop being the paranoid anxious mother I have become.
(He was really ill with a blood infection and endocarditis early 2020 so every little thing now puts me on high alert)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son is 2.5 years old and for the last few weeks has been obsessed with drinking. He’s constantly asking for juice, drains it and asks for more. He has always been a pretty rubbish eater but the last maybe 1.5 weeks he’s been eating so much so this is what first raised my eyebrows as I’m usually battling to get him to eat at all. Anyway, I have tested his urine and it’s fine. Am I right to assume that this means it couldn’t be diabetes as it would show on a urine test? Apart from the drinking (he’s started getting upset if I try to stop him taking drink to bed and it’s literally the first thing he asks for in the morning) and increase in appetite he seems absolutely fine. He hasn’t lost any weight and is playing as normal. So I just stop being the paranoid anxious mother I have become.
(He was really ill with a blood infection and endocarditis early 2020 so every little thing now puts me on high alert)

Hi there, honestly, none of us could possibly answer that as even in the absence of glucose in the urine, it could be anything or nothing. Sorry that I'm no help but I would take him to the GP if I were you, you have noticed something different so that woud be a good enough reason for me.

SamAm

Hi there, honestly, none of us could possibly answer that as even in the absence of glucose in the urine, it could be anything or nothing. Sorry that I'm no help but I would take him to the GP if I were you, you have noticed something different so that woud be a good enough reason for me.

Thank you so much for replying to me. It’s just so hard when I’ve had the look several times from doctors who clearly think I’m being paranoid and my child is fine. And most of the time they’re right but I trusted them when he was ill and they said he was fine even though I knew he wasn’t.
was hoping to avoid as I’d read saying that if the symptoms were caused by diabetes then the blood sugar levels should be high enough to spill glucose into urine.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for replying to me. It’s just so hard when I’ve had the look several times from doctors who clearly think I’m being paranoid and my child is fine. And most of the time they’re right but I trusted them when he was ill and they said he was fine even though I knew he wasn’t.
was hoping to avoid as I’d read saying that if the symptoms were caused by diabetes then the blood sugar levels should be high enough to spill glucose into urine.

Hi SamAm, I would always trust your own instincts no matter what the Drs might say, better safe than sorry. You've noticed his symptoms including him being far more hungry than usual, I am sure no Dr would think you were paranoid in this instance. Please let us know how you get on.

Reactions: EllieM

Dark Horse

Thirst as a symptom of the onset of type 1 diabetes is due to glucose spilling over into the urine and taking water with it by osmosis. If there is no glucose in the urine then the thirst must be due to other reasons. Try giving your son water rather than juice - if he refuses it then he is not thirsty. If he continues to drink excessively when given only water to drink then see your GP.