Adjustment

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
I'm new to insulin so excuse the simple question.
If I eat something with a little more sugar than my normal diet (I am going to a vegan fayre today with my mum and she is buying a bulk load of cake for her freezer) for example, a mouthful of vegan chocolate cake or mouthful of tart, do I just take an extra dose of NovoRapid as a snack time injection or just add an extra to my lunch injection?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The usual rule of thumb is that you can eat 10 to 15g of carbs (not just sugar ... all carbs) between meals without injecting.
A slice of cake is likely to be more than this but s bite or two will probably be fine.

Reactions: bellapodus

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
I'm new to insulin so excuse the simple question.
If I eat something with a little more sugar than my normal diet (I am going to a vegan fayre today with my mum and she is buying a bulk load of cake for her freezer) for example, a mouthful of vegan chocolate cake or mouthful of tart, do I just take an extra dose of NovoRapid as a snack time injection or just add an extra to my lunch injection?
Don't add it to lunch unless you are having the cake as part of the meal. The Novo rapid starts acting 20 minutes after jab and should have gone from your system by 5 hours.
If it is literally a bite then I wouldn't dose for it but a small cake can be at least 30g (flour and sugar) and up to 100g for a larger slice. If you've got a carb/insulin ratio then you can guestimate what to dose e.g. 1 unit for 10g but it may be wildly different for you so be cautious to avoid a low whilst you are out!

Reactions: bellapodus

bellapodus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the replies.
Happy to hear a bite won't cause a problem.
Incidentally, I had 12 fries today with my lunch instead of a bite of her cake!